Which HDTV to go with?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RMD68, Apr 10, 2007.

1. RMD68 macrumors 6502

Summertime should be the season that I finally go HD. I have been doing a lot of research and I believe I have narrowed down my choices. Out of all the models I've seen my three favorite brands are SONY, SHARP and SAMSUNG. Although the SHARP's are pretty good overall I was not very impressed with there inability to render color properly and the appearance of the whole picture having a light shown on it and being washed out. That leaves me with the SONY and SAMSUNG. The higher end models from SONY appear the be the best their is. Unfortunately they come with a hefty price tag and the difference in picture quality over the SAMSUNG is not enough to justify the price difference IMHO. So as you can see it basically comes down to the SAMSUNG with me. The problem is which one too choose. I'd like to stick with a 40" and 46" would be the most but thats pushing it. The 06' model line with the S-series look very nice (LN-S4095D/LN-S4096D) the only difference between the two being price and allowing a cable card. The 07' T-series are beautiful as well the higher end ones all appear the same with the only difference being slight change in contrast ratio.

Has anyone had any experience with the models I mentioned? Is there much of a difference with the top-end T-Series models even though they have different dynamic contrast ratios? Are the S-series the way to go? Also, is there any other HDTV's I should be looking at, maybe something I missed? I look forward to anyones input. Thanks in advance.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/
    http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/

There are a lot of reviews here. I did some reading and decided on the 50" Panasonic Plasma TH-50PX60U. To me, plasma has better blacks and better dynamic range. Absolutely zero variance in picture (either color or brightness) as you change angle of view. But, it's a personal thing, I guess - you need to go and actually compare the pictures at a store.

One thing that's probably true no matter which type you go with: go with the largest you can fit and afford (even if you have to stretch a bit $ wise, it'll be worth it in the long run). I first bought a 42" and it just didn't do it. My viewing distance is about 8'. If you try and rationalize "it's big enough", it probably isn't :) .