Which headphones for gym + Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by sam2428, Apr 8, 2018.

1. sam2428 macrumors 6502

Hi all, searched the forum and didn't find what I was looking for....but sorry if this is a repost.

Looking for recommendations for some bluetooth wireless headphones to use at the gym with just my series 0 Apple Watch. I primarily weight lift and do indoor cardio (stair master, elliptical, and treadmill). I also prefer sound isolation since the bulk of my usage is indoor.

I currently use the Jaybird X1's with comply foam tips (which have been great for the past 3 years...but have finally started crackling and losing connection on me). So it is time for a new pair. Also, I dont get the greatest connection to my AW when I dont have my iPhone with me...not sure if its the headphones or the AW to be honest.

I already own a pair of Airpods, which I LOVE, but do not like using them at the gym for a few reasons. 1. Even though I get a pretty good fit, I still feel like they will fall out while doing certain exercises or higher intensity training (yes, I have also purchased some silicon wings off of Amazon which work, but I do not like taking them on and off to put them back in the charging case). 2. They are not sweat proof, and I do not want to ruin my Airpods with "rough use" in the gym.

Currently looking at: Jaybird X3's, JLab Epic Sports, Jaybird Run's....but am interested in what others are using. Specifically if you are using them with just an Apple Watch for music. Seems like there is no perfect pair out for hassle free, connectivity, sound quality, noise isolation, etc.

I've heard the Beats headphones are not too great quality wise, and the Beats X although have great reviews...I'm just not a fan of the super long dangling wires which I know will get annoying when trying to lift weights.

Thanks in advance!

2. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Buggy iOS 11.3 does not allow me to scroll my reply so I add it here.
    Shure SE215 is an inear earphone. If you are not comfortable with that, don’t choose it. Also, you need to use the foam tip to achieve best sound isolation quality.

——————————————————
    I use Shure SE215 plus wireless module. Itself has some pretty dang awesome sound isolation. It’s sound quality is nice (unless you want super bass). Build quality is nice too. I don’t do a lot of intensive excercise but regular running and walking is good. It has a short bending cable at each side to help holding each earphone.
    Weight wise, it is not heavy. I can barely feels it if the restraining cable is not in the way.
    The Bluetooth model is not using BT 4.2 though. It is using 4.1, which may pose some issues regarding connection or whatnot. But t has an interesting feature to allow you to connect to two devices and switch between them easily.

3. mk313 macrumors 6502a

I have AirPods and BeatsX and they both connect to my Apple Watch (series 2) better than any of the old Bluetooth headphones I’ve tried. Id recommend trying the BeatsX. I’m not an audiophile but the sound great to me, do block a lot of outside noise and have a solid connection to the watch.

4. big samm macrumors 65816

big samm

I use Powerbeats 3 for the gym and they work really great! They really fit well and won’t budge no matter what you’re doing at the gym. It aslo have the w1 chip which means like Airpods you pair once and they will be available on all other devices using same iCloud account.

5. Dodgeman macrumors 65816

AirPods not water resistant?
    Hmmm, think normal gym/workout could damage the airpods?

6. sam2428 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies!

I really like the beats x...but I know the long wires will bother me while trying to do weight lifting. Do you have issues with this? I have read online, that they seem to fall our when doing any type of laying down exercise (bench press, ab work outs, etc).

How long have you used them? Any issues with them breaking or sound cracking? The reviews on amazon (and experience from a close friend) all lean towards poor quality. Or they dont last very long... but glad to hear you have a good expereince so far. I had forgotten the new powerbeats3 also have the W1 chip...

Yes, I think it could. They do not carry any type of water / sweat proof rating. Plus, I personally sweat a lot and they become more slick and are more prone to fall out. I have tried them out...and am really looking for an alternative specifically for the gym.

7. Christian 5G, Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018

Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

I got my AW3 cellular few weeks ago just for the reason of stopping using phone and wasting time texting, social media, etc.. now I work out and go for a run with just my watch and those buds below I listed. They are waterproof, sweat-proof.
    After few days of using them the sound quality really improved or broken in as with many new speaker products.

They are also pretty generous with extra little accessories you get for that price as you can see what comes in the box like a phone holder magnet + a card wallet :

This is the buds I purchased to go with my AW and they are pretty great for the price and battery life is great!
    https://amzn.to/2qeYUn2
    8100eg4hlaL._SL1500_.jpg

Attached Files:

8. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

air pods at gym

beats solo3 when at home
    --- Post Merged, Apr 8, 2018 ---
    it's basically sweat resistant. Just don't put them in water

9. Nishant macrumors newbie

Powerbeats 3 here for the gym. Ive been pretty happy with them. Air pods won't stay in my ear for workouts.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

Jaybird x2. I know the x3 is out, but I prefer the x2 for fit. I’ve had the x1 and x2, and my wife has the x3, which I’ve used a lot. The x2 is the best of the bunch, a LOT better than the x1, and they can be had cheaply now.

11. Endorphine88 macrumors 6502

Endorphine88

Bit of a headphone addict here so my input is:

Bose SoundSport - Comfortable, water/sweat resistant, good sound but not loud enough sometimes, Sound isolation is about 6/10
    BeatsX - louder, not as comfortable, but sound isolation is 9/10, plus they have the W1 chip so pairing is a breeze
    Jaybird X2 - Prefer theese for running. Sound isolation is 7/10. Good sound, but not as accurate as Bose
    AirPods - good for calls, but fit may not be great for the gym. They do not fit the same as the regular wired earpods, they are different, but still more slippery than any earpiece that's rubberized

12. Dodgeman macrumors 65816

13. mk313 macrumors 6502a

Haha! I actually washed mine last week on accident. I had them in my shorts pocket when they went in the wash. So far they are still working fine.

14. decypher44 macrumors 6502

decypher44

Powerbeats 3 wireless. They perform great!

15. mk313 macrumors 6502a

If the long wires are going to bother you, then yah, these aren’t the headphones for you. I actually always use my AirPods when Im working out. I use the BeatsX for cutting the lawn & that kind of stuff (since they block out ouside noise). They do fit a little loosely, but They come wiht some kind of wings that you can use to lock them in your ears. I’ve added them to mine & they stick in my ears way better now. And the wings are still pretty comfortable. All in all, great headphones, but they don’t sound like the right ones for your needs.

16. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

I have the X3's and the Runs. I love both.

- The X3 have multipoint bluetooth - they connect to both the watch and the phone. It sounds stupid, but once you're used to it, it rocks. They're a bit smaller.

- The Runs have the obvious advantage of no wire at all (meaning that while they're a bit bigger, they don't move as there is no wire pulling on them). They're not multi-point and connection can be a bit wonky according to some people, but I personally never had a problem when using them with the watch (and I wear my watch on my left wrist). The buttons functionality is limited. Having the charging box is great.

Both take full advantage of the Jaybird app, which is amazing (equalizer, allows for fine tuning of the sound, just like you want it).

Note that I don't normally use either for phone calls, so I can't comment on the mike's quality.

I couldn't say which I love more, but I do find myself using the Runs more, mostly at work, at the gym or when I run, except for very specific cases where I really need to take advantage of the multi-point connection, or when I'm afraid I might lose them (sleeping in the plane :))

I also have the beatsX (I won a pair!) and I hate them. I don't like the sound, and the long-ass cord, coupled with the preformed part behind your neck, is super annoying. They're great for conference calls but that's about it.

17. sam2428 thread starter macrumors 6502

I saw some recent reviews on the latest Icon X and they seem to have fixed a lot of problems that the older version had. Definitely a decent option as well.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 10, 2018 ---
    Thanks for the reply! Awesome to hear you have both the x3s and the runs...after all my research and watching reviews on YouTube...I am leaning most towards the X3s at the moment because they seem to the best combination of price, sound quality, and reliability while still be very light weight.

I had ruled out the Runs because some reviews I read / saw claimed the runs are near perfect but have frequent connection issues. I.E. sound drops out for a few seconds often enough to be annoying. Have you experienced this?

18. pasadena, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018

pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

Barely. They can be sensitive to interference in a very urban environment (for me, next to the traffic light at the corner of my block, that's all). No issue connecting to the watch on my left wrist. My understanding is that they had big issues last year that were resolved with a firmware update around December. I got mine for Christmas and they were already patched. Honestly my only grips with them are the lack of multi-point bluetooth and the limited controls.

That said, the X3 are indeed a better value at this time and you can't go wrong with them if you liked the X. If you get Jaybirds, please download the app, it will change your life.

EDIT to add : important to note, the runs are only good for music / audiobooks / podcasts, etc. Not video, as they have a lag.

19. icanhazmac macrumors newbie

icanhazmac

Using AirPods with little to no issues, sound is fine for the gym, fit is reasonable, I might readjust them once or twice an hour.

20. bonebrain macrumors newbie

BeatsX with Comply foam tips. Seals outside noise out and keeps locked into my ears. I use this while traveling as well they work very well to keep outside noise to a minimum

21. oeagleo macrumors 6502

oeagleo

Gotta jump in here with my own observations. A little background, I've either owned, or still own several sets of headphones, and ear buds. Including Powerbeats 2, Bose Soundsport, Bose Soundsport Free, AirPods, Jaybird Runs, along with Studio Beats wireless earphones. The newest, (and absolutely the best sounding) pair are Bang & Olafson Beoplay E8. None, and I mean absolutely none of the earphones I've owned even come close to comparing with these, they bass absollutely thumps, while the steel guitar on Eagles tracks is sharp, well defined, and doesn't get muddied.
    A little pricey, but if you love music, these are the only ones you need.

22. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

That’s rare the jay’s break down like that. I use crushers they are over the ear and stays on when deadlifting squatting

23. Sean1 macrumors member

+1

24. sam2428 thread starter macrumors 6502

As much as I would love a pair of B&Os, I’m really looking for a pair of headphones specifically for the gym. Ones I can use a little rough, are sweat resistenant, etc... but I still want decent sound, not complete cheapos. How is your experience with the Jaybird runs in terms of fit, Bluetooth connection/ drop outs, ability to stay in eat while working out, etc?

25. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

If you will be doing any workouts that require laying on your back I wouldn’t recommend the beats x.