Which iPad 2 model do you plan to get, and why?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by luisin, Mar 6, 2011.

?

Which iPad 2 model do you plan to get?

Poll closed Apr 5, 2011.
  1. Black iPad

41.6%
  2. White iPad

23.9%
  3. 16 GB WI-FI

25.1%
  4. 32 GB WI-FI

26.3%
  5. 64 GB WI-FI

13.6%
  6. 16 GB WI-FI + 3G

6.2%
  7. 32 GB WI-FI + 3G

13.6%
  8. 64 GB WI-FI + 3G

16.5%
  1. luisin, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

luisin macrumors member

Which iPad 2 model do you plan to get, and why?

I like the White 32GB Wifi option in addition to the personal hotspot feature on iOS 4.3 for iPhone 4 :apple:

2. iJordz macrumors member

3. gavinfabl macrumors regular

gavinfabl

Definitely white, although when I see one in person, I may get black. So far though I am sure its white and the top memory size. I just hope they have stock as I should have sold my original iPad 64gb 3g/wifi by 25th March when it comes out in the UK.

4. Saberj macrumors regular

16GB Black Ipad 3g

I forgot to choose Black, though. The reason being, I have a 16GB Wifi iPad currently. That's more than enough space for me right now. But I often find that I either don't want to tether it to my phone, or by doing so, I quickly exhaust my phone's battery. So I'd rather have the option of stand-alone 3G. I'm leaning toward Verizon, because their coverage gets much better reviews in my area.

5. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

64GB Black ATT 3G for me

64GB Because I want to be able to house a lot of my music and movie collection at once without having to sync to change things around often. Black because I think the white looks off on a screen of that size, it would be nice for the iPhone 4 but on the iPad 2 just not right... 3G W/ATT because I have an iPhone 4 now with ATT and have no issues, its faster than verizon and not locked to CDMA technology

6. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

One poll to rule them all! This is definitely a properly done poll and I am curious to see the results.

Personally I am getting a Black 64gb Wi-Fi.

This way I can fit all my music on the iPad, which the 32gb model cannot do. I really like being able to carry all my music with me when I travel, and since I have a MacBook Air, that saves me a lot of space on my laptop that I wouldn't want to use up. All my music is stored on my Mac Pro so it's the prefect setup for me. I am fine with using the Wi-Fi hotspot tethering on my iPhone 4 in a pinch.

7. KaPOWitsCHRIS macrumors 6502

KaPOWitsCHRIS

Black 32GB Wifi + 3G because I don't think I'll need more space and being able to use 3G could be useful when I travel about a bit.

8. yegon macrumors 68020

16gb Black Wifi.

Bought an 11" mba in November, which largely replaced my 32g 3G as my mobile video/podcast/browsing machine. I'm buying an iPad purely for fun and it'll rarely leave the house, plus I've a mifi that I already use with my mba so wifi only makes sense.

9. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I am getting a white iPad with 32GB Wifi only. I don't need 3G as I have an iPhone 4 and I will be using the personal hotspot feature.

10. MagnumOP macrumors regular

^^^ this.

Except I'm getting the black one.

11. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

32gb wifi + 3G

But to be honest I keep changing my mind. I have the 32gb iPhone and still have 6gb on that left, and can't think what I'd fill that with. And I'm more likely to be using the iPad in the house, and whenever I'm takin it anywhere I can upload what I feel I'll need for that trip.

Also can't decide whether to include the 3G? I live in the UK and have looked up o2's tethering charge, looks to be around £7.50 a month for 500mb. I definitely won't need that. So although the 3G will be an extra expense at the time. I think in the long run, the money I'd spend on the tethering would eclipse the 3G costs.

12. Lontano macrumors newbie

64GB 3G in Black. Wish they would bring out a 128GB though as my current 64 is full and I could fill it up many times over.

13. iFoure macrumors member

White 32 GB Wifi+3G

'cos I need to have 32GB storage and 3G. I hate the idea of not able to use internet on the iPad cos I only have the Wifi model and there's no Wifi/only locked wifi network available :(

And white 'cos I like white better than black :p

14. urkel, Mar 6, 2011

urkel macrumors 68030

Before Announcement:
    64GB iPad 2 3G ($829)
    - Been waiting for camera to do creative work and take advantage of apps

Post Announcement:
    16GB iPad 2 WiFi ($500)
    - Terrible non-autofocus camera means no scanning for evernote/banking, iMovie will be a novelty, photos will suck
    - Due to underwhelming specs I will likely sell when iPad 3 comes out so wont bother with heavy investment

Also, no smart cover for me because i believe in protecting the ENTIRE iPad, not just the front.

15. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Black 32 Gig WiFi with black leather case.

I had a 16 and found myself close on space so this time I'm going with 32. I have an iPhone 4 so I will just tether if I need 3G access. As far as the color goes, I'm tempted to get white, but I just can't bring myself to get white.

Is it Friday yet???

16. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

16gb 3G in black. to me, white is too flashy. When not using it at home, I plan on keeping it in a moleskin-type book to keep people from noticing it when I travel.

I was originally thinking larger but then I found out that you can easily expand the drive space with the camera kit and an SD card or usb stick as needed.

I travel quite a bit so the 3g is necessary though I'm not expecting that all countries will have 3g coverage in the areas where I will be.

I don't want to spend a lot of money to have the biggest drive for several reasons:
    1)its my first ipad, I don't know how much space I'll want
    -can expand as needed through camera kit
    2)might end up selling it before the next one comes out if its still in good condition because I'm not super impressed with the current specs.
    3)have to also buy an 11" MBA and/or iphone4/5***

***there are two of us, hence the need for both ipad and MBA

17. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

I will be getting the 64GB WiFi in black. I have an iPhone 4 so I don't think I need the 3G and I don't want the flashy white. I will be picking up a gray cover and the iPad 2 dock also. I can't wait!

18. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Good choice. I may go 64 that will be an order day decision.

19. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I'm going to get the 32gb WiFi in white with a pink smart cover. :)

Like someone said earlier, I'll just tether whenever I need 3G.

20. delapuente macrumors newbie

32 Gb WIFI White, a good choice.
    With a red leather Smart Cover! :)

21. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

Black 32Gb 3G. It'll be my first iPad.
    32Gb cause I'm afraid 16 won't be enough and 3G mostly for when I travel + for GPS chip. (But I'll pay for local3G for the 1st month at least)

22. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

16GB wifi white.

I had the 16GB first generation and it was plenty of space. I'm normally connected to wifi everywhere I take it, so I don't really need 3G. I've been drooling over the white since the announcement, hopefully it looks as good in person. I think I'll be getting a grey Smart Cover.

23. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

16GB White iPad

Most of the apps I will install are under 100MB. Won't put any music on it. 1-2 movies. The rest will access through Netflix / internet etc..

Anything over 16GB would be a waste for me.

24. Lady Arwen macrumors member

64 GB Wifi - I'm 90% leaning towards black, but white is still appealing. I'm getting lots of space because I look at the iPad as an investment. I'll probably have it for at least 5 years. I want the most space possible because I'm buying as many of my college textbooks as possible for the iPad (whether they are on iBooks, Kindle, or nook.)

25. Bombermac, Mar 6, 2011

Bombermac macrumors newbie

Black 64 GB Wifi

When the iPad first came out, I didn't see what I personally could use it for, but I knew all I had to do was wait and see what apps would be developed. As luck would have it, in just the last few weeks I finally realized that the iPad was something I could use daily. I've recently developed an interest in drawing, and with apps like Sketchbook Pro available for the iPad (which I've kind of been able to test out in the form of Sketchbook Mobile on my iPod Touch), I was finally ready to buy. Of course, thanks to MacRumors, I realized that holding off for a few more weeks wouldn't be a bad thing.

Glad I did.

Before seeing the iPad 2 debut, I was leaning towards a 16 GB or 32 GB Wifi iPad. I've never had a 3G-enabled device (minus my Kindle DX Graphite), and I haven't missed that capability. 32 GB seemed fine because that's the same size as my iPod Touch (3rd gen), and it's got my full music library (1,800+ files), several home movies, one or two Disney movies, 5,200+ photos, and about 100 apps. It still has some room to spare.

I figured that the iPad would remain mostly music free, leaving plenty of space for apps, my digital sketchbook, PDFs for Goodreader and my Kindle ebooks. After seeing iMovie and Garage Band in action, though, I think I might want to do some movie editing on the iPad 2. If I'm editing movies, that means it'll need to be able to hold movies, and it'd be nice to have my entire music library on-board for soundtrack purposes. With Garage Band, my wife (who's actually a musician) and I (who, comparatively, is a kid happily banging a triangle) will probably be laying down down tracks and recording songs. Plus, I might as well admit, I think I'll be doing some gaming on this thing. That all translates to more space required. Honestly, I kind of wish I could get a 128 GB iPad 2!

I'm getting the black version because it's a bit more my style and because I think the contrast between a white screen and a dark border will make reading more pleasant (something I learned from my Kindle 1 vs. Kindle DX Graphite).

I'm also really looking forward to FaceTime. While Skype and iChat are great, FaceTime (Mac version) is incredibly easy once you get it set up. I was out of town for a little over a month, and my wife and I used FaceTime almost every day. She didn't need to leave the program turned on; if I called her, it would just start up and alert her. My only real complaint about the Mac version so far is that the ring's volume is incredibly soft, but I'm sure that will be addressed down the road.

I've only mentioned a few of the things I'll be using the iPad 2 for, but I've got several more in mind, and I'm sure I'll come up with many more once I actually get the chance to use it for awhile. Pretty amazing considering I had no clue what I'd do with one a year ago. :)