Resolved Which Ipad for a 10-year-old?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by trish1964, Oct 2, 2013.

1. trish1964 macrumors newbie

I am getting my daughter an ipad for Christmas. She will be almost 10. I have decided on a 32, but can’t decide if I want to get her the newest model, or go with a cheaper, older one. She is not a big reader, although I wish she were. She likes to take pictures, play games and watch videos and although she listens to music a lot, she doesn’t put more than 15-20 songs on her ipod at a time. She likes to listen to the same ones over and over and over! I don’t want to get her something that is obsolete in a year or two but am trying not to spend a ton of money because I want to upgrade her ipod 4 to a 5 for her birthday 2 months after Christmas. Any suggestions? If I get her an older model, will it still be functional with newer apps? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Kinin2020 macrumors newbie

3. Davejprince macrumors regular

I would wait for an iPad Mini ( a new generation which isn't released yet )
    and get the 16GB Wifi model with a decent case and screen protector.

4. trish1964 thread starter macrumors newbie

I considered a mini but decided against it. She already said that she would like a full-sized ipad since she already has an ipod. My biggest concern is that if I get her an older one, will it be compatible with new apps?

Plus I think ipad minis are too expensive for what they are. My reasoning is that if I am already spending $300 I might as well spend a little more for the bigger one. It will last her longer.

5. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

If that reasoning was sufficient to spend $170 more, wouldn't it suffice for the much smaller differential between the two full size iPads? (Just substitute "newer one" for "bigger one" above.)

6. st1ngo macrumors member

Don't buy her an iPad
    Buy her a bike
    Children need to be out playing not sat with their faces in a computer
    Theres plenty of time for that

7. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Perfect now just wait for the new iPad 5 to come out in 2 weeks and you can get the iPad 4 for $100 Less

----------

A little extreme don't you think?

8. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I agree,

Or instead, get her a Mac. Let her learn how to use a REAL computer rather than a crippled one.

I'm worried we're going to end up with a generation of kids growing up on tablets who don't know how to use real computers. Tablets are toys.

9. trish1964 thread starter macrumors newbie

Osofast, that is what I was just thinking actually. I think I will do that and see how much lower the price goes. Also, does anyone know if newer apps are compatible with older ipads?

And as for the bike, zorinlynx, she has one and rides a lot in her spare time. She is an outside girl, outside with the neighbor kids most of her free time which isn’t a lot because she plays on a travel club soccer team that practices twice a week spring, summer and fall, with weekly games spring and fall. They also do many tournaments year-round and play indoor in the off season all winter with weekly games, which is why I have no problem getting her an ipad since she wants one so badly. She is about as far from a couch potato as you can get. Her ipod gets used mostly in the car on the way to practices, games and tournaments (which is A LOT, much to the dismay of my gas card!). I am new here and I mean no disrespect, but comments like that aren’t productive since you don’t know anything about my daughter.

And I have a macbook that she is quite proficient in using and uses it for homework. I just don’t like her on it a lot otherwise because she keeps downloading things on it. Drives me crazy! Ipad will hopefully keep her off my macbook

10. iSee, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013

iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Unless she's unusual for her age, she'll likely drop, lose, smash, etc. her iPad before it becomes obsolete.

So I'd go for a refurb iPad 4 or even find an iPad 3 on sale... but you know her best. If she has a knack for taking care of things and won't be taking it out of the house (much?), then maybe consider waiting for the iPad 5... It will last longer and I'd guess the size and weight will probably suit a girl that age better.

edit: oh, BTW, you don't have to bother addressing the free parenting advice people offer here. It's the weirdest thing, but some people feel free to offer all kinds of it while implying that you're a bad parent, seemingly with no awareness that they know absolutely nothing about your situation and have no context to base this "advice" on. But most of us understand people come to Apple forums for advice on Apple products and trust that if you're looking for parenting advice you'll ask for it. ;)

11. trish1964 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I will wait for the new version to come out and see how much the current one drops. I am a swagbucks, mypoints and harris poll user and already have almost $100 worth of Amazon gift cards to put towards it if I decide to get it through Amazon. I hope to add to that by Christmas so that will help a lot with the cost. And I am not that bothered by the bike comment. I am just one of those people who can’t keep their mouth shut so I felt compelled to reply to it.

12. mrholder macrumors regular

I would go for an iPad 4 when the 5 comes out. It should drop in price a little, and it will be the last large ipad. The 5 is going to be slightly smaller.

13. HIMAN1998 macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

There might be a generation that doesn't know what a non-touchscreen computer is. That's the sad thing. I'm only 15 and I don't see any appeal in the touchscreen laptop trends, or the iPad. I like the smaller tablets, though.

14. mncmoore macrumors regular

mncmoore

Wouldn't buy her one. She doesn't need it. Kids should be outside. She doesn't read much, not much music etc.… iPod will be fine. Let her enjoy life.

15. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

A discounted (firesaled) iPad Mini sounds perfect for a 10-year old. This may happen in the next few weeks.

EDIT: whoops just noticed OP's response. OK then a discounted iPad 4 will be fine, once the iPad 5 comes out.

16. Macalway, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

Macalway macrumors 68000

Easy

Full size, latest edition ipad, in (color she wants), with as much memory as you can afford. Mind you, I have a 64gb and it's not enough.

17. Robster3 macrumors 68000

My now 11 year old daughter got a white mini for xmas last year when she was 10. She didn't want a full sized iPad.

18. alent1234 macrumors 603

that's right
    buy a bike and make her ride it in the dead of the upcoming winter

19. rainking macrumors regular

That comment is very speculative. You answer has nothing to do with her question. You know nothing about her or her daughter. Either answer the question or move on.

Like what other helpful members have said, wait a couple more weeks and see what the new models bring. I have a 6 years old that enjoys a few apps and likes watching Netflix on. I will give him my iPad 4 and I'll be picking up the 5 when it comes out.

20. Ursadorable macrumors 6502

Ursadorable

21. Macalway macrumors 68000

No, but hopefully they will have that soon, and it will cook :)

22. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

My 7yo and 11yo have been using ipad1 since launch, and have yet failed to smash, lose, etc. Kid's aren't as careless as you might think.

I, on the other hand, managed to break my ipad3 screen.

Back OT, get a new one, 32GB. 16GB fills up too fast. An iPad5 will have a life of at least 3 years, based on past experience. Buying an iPad4 would be false economy, IMHO, as you would be paying a lot of money for something that will slow to a crawl within 2 years as iOS updates to match new hardware.

+++1. It is hilarious the unsolicited parenting advice one gets from complete strangers. Often, I suspect such advice comes from those with no kids, or whose kids grew up in a completely different generation and whose advice is now suspect.

23. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

Based on what you said, i would say an iPad 4 16gb on refurb.

As you said she doesn't download much music or books so spacewise 32gb may be overkill.

24. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

No iPad, use the money and put them into a team sport.