All iPads Which iPad should I upgrade to from Mini 1??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JerTheGeek, Dec 29, 2014.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Hello all,
    I am seriously considering upgrading my Mini 1 since I find myself using it quite a bit, and it is getting quite sluggish.
    So if I decide to not get the Apple Watch, I'll get a new iPad, and I am leaning towards just upgrading the iPad.
    Which one should I get? Should I get the mini 3, 64gb, a refurb 64gb iPad Air, or wait a few months until the Air 2 refurbs come out?

2. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Which iPad should I upgrade to from Mini 1??

Honestly I would either get a refurb air 2 or get the mini 2 . The mini 3 is $100 more just for Touch ID

Personally I prefer the larger iPads and the air 2 is great . The 2gb of ram and 3 core cpu should make this last a long time

3. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I know it isn't that big of a deal, but I do like the gold color, and I like how it would be a technically newer device so it may be supported a bit longer than the mini 2. Really I need to decide if I want to switch to the bigger Air, or stick with the mini.

4. Closingracer macrumors 68000

The mini 2 and mini 3 will be supported the same since both have the same A7 cpu and 1gb of ram . If you want a mini I suggest waiting for the mini 4 and the spec upgrade which I should assume will happen this fall since it didn't have one for 2 years by then .

I love the air 2 size and having a note 4 as a phone makes the mini little useless for me imo . Same would go for iPhone 6 plus ?

5. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Also I'll mention that I have a 5s and will probably always stick with a 4 inch iPhone if apple keeps on making them. So the mini still works for me as far as working good with my iPhone and not being too close in size to my iPhone. I also have a 13 inch MacBook air: which iPad size do you think works better with these devices, or makes more sense?

6. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

To me it sounds as though you prefer the mini form factor, if that is the case that is really the one to go for.
    The difference between the mini 2 and 3 is minimal, the mini 3 offers you touch id, more storage if you want it and gold colour. I personally would say that the mini 2 offers the best value for money and since they essentially have the same spec, I expect that they will last as long as each other.
    Essentially I would say mini 2, unless touch id is a deal breaker for you.

7. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I like the mini; but I am thinking I might like the Air form factor too. I had the iPad 3 before the mini, and because it was so thick and heavy, I sold it for the mini. But I did love that big retina screen; it was just too bulky of a device. So, theoretically, the Air would be great for me.
    Should I just stick with the mini?

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

9. double329 macrumors 6502

I would get Air 2 as well, but if you want smaller screen, mini 2 should be good if you don't need touchID which only available only on mini3 and Air 2. I really love using TouchID.

10. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I myself just upgraded from the one to two. The third gen was just touch ID added, so I got extra storage and accidental warranty. If you want the full size go for it but I prefer the waller size

11. sparky1499 macrumors regular

sparky1499

I have just went from the original mini to the first Air.

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

12. MrGuder macrumors 68020

Something else to consider is that we don't even know if Apple may discontinue the iPad Mini and the Mini 3 may be the last model some of the tech sites are saying that is a possibility.

I opted for a refurb Mini 2 w/ 64 GB for $349.00. I wanted the mini size and no sense in waiting till Fall 2015 when I can enjoy it now. If Apple releases an iPad Pro (large screen) I may get that in a yr or so preferability a refurb. Always looking to save me some money!!

13. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

I'm hoping/waiting for the mini 4...I've found only one release mentioning that version...same number as the discontinued source. The performance boost will be nice, but if it does get discontinued, I'll buy up the 2.

I would not get the pro as the first release of larger screens/retina tends to have a pattern of poor performance due to the decision not to provide an upgraded processor. Original iPad retina, iPhone 6+, and macbook pro retina for example.

If the Pro gets a processor upgrade, then it will be worth buying it. It's also probably a moot point with as powerful as the 8x is in the Air 2, but I'm sure if the pro gets released in the fall with the A9, then it actually will be worth buying and won't be crippled with the larger pixel density/size issue with an older processor habit of Apple's first release.

14. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Well if you want to be future proof for the longest amout of time, get the Air 2. If you want to stick to the mini form factor, get the mini 2. I can almost guarantee that the 3 won't be supported longer since it's the same iPad but with Touch ID.

I'd only get the original Air if you want to get a full-sized iPad at a discounted price. It's basically the same processor as the mini 2 (just 100MHz faster). It's up to you really what you want to get.

15. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Would you personally recommend the mini size if I already have the MacBook Air?

16. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I really don't think there's an objective answer to this sort of question. Different people have different needs and desires; what works best for one may not work best for the other.

That said, I have an iPhone 5s, an iPad mini, and a 13 inch macbook air, and I love my iPad mini. It's just barely big enough to display pdfs comfortably, while just being small enough to fit into my suit jacket pocket and go everywhere with me, naturally picked up in one hand, never getting in the way. I have the iPhone for phone calls and alarms, the mini for reading books, and for web browsing, gps, email and such on the go, and the macbook for more serious work. It works for me.

I do think there's an element of intuition or instinct involved. Do you find the form factor of the mini particularly appealing; does it make you happy to use? Or do you really like the idea of a larger more colorful screen, the screen elements the size originally intended for the device, and still thin and light? There's only so much rational analysis we can do; sometimes it come down to a gut decision.

If you're still undecided, I'd suggest getting the Air, since you haven't tried that form factor before. That way, if after two weeks you feel yourself missing the form factor of the mini and feeling you've made a mistake, you can return it for the mini.

17. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

From what I have seen, even people who have the 11" MBA still get a heck of a lot of use out of their iPad minis. It's just comes down to personal preference. I own a oMP, 15" rMBP, Air 2 and 6 Plus all pretty big displays. Just a year ago, my whole set up was small screens: 15" rMBP, mini 1, and iPhone 5s.

What you should really think about is the next iPhone you are getting. When I had my 5s, the mini complimented it perfectly. Then I got my 6 Plus in Sept and the mini spent more time in a drawer then it did in use. It was too similar in size to the 6 Plus to give it a purpose in my set up. I still like having an iPad to type things up (like this) and browse the web so I got the Air 2.

18. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

When you consider Value for money, mini 3 is a laughable product with last year specs and inferior display.

iPad Air 2 with almost double specs with just extra $100 premium is the way to go without any doubt. It's as obvious as sunlight.

19. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Without a doubt my next iPhone will be the new 4 inch iPhone, hopefully Apple will make it next year.

----------

So basically, would the air 2 be too close in size compared to my 13 inch MBA?

20. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

I agree with this guy/gal.

FYI I am a new tech person, I love NEW tech, HOWEVER, I went with the iPad mini 2 as my upgrade from my iPad3 simply because for color and a touch id which I would never use with my ipad mini, it is a waste of money for the exact same tech inside. If it was a phone that I take everywhere, that would be different.

If you have the air, the screen is comparable to the reg ipad in size, mini is more portable, depends on which you are going to tote around the house more.

21. Meister Suspended

Meister

Don't know what you guys are doing, but my mini is not sluggish.

22. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

I sold my mini. As I get older I find the screen size of the iPad screen perfect, the mini was just too small.

23. itaita macrumors newbie

i would try other than APPLE

I am tired of APPLE IPADS.
    Ipad 3 with a lot of problem with the sound and they offered to buy it just after one year and give me other same IPAD 3 and pay almost 400 dollars. No way if I paied for IPAD 3 al,most $800.
    My mini is ok , I don't use much.
    My Ipad Air is very slow chargind and takes more than one day...

24. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

If you want an LTE mini and you think you might want to use Verizon, get the Mini 3.

25. Yebubbleman, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015

Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

If you're buying new, AND you're not doing anything smaller than 64GB (bear in mind that they are not selling the second generation iPad mini new with anything higher than 32GB), go iPad Air 2 if the form factor isn't important (because it will last you the longest amount of time before it is left out of support updates) or go the iPad mini 3 if you have to have that form factor. A refurbished original iPad Air is a good idea if you don't want to spend money, but you'll have proportionately less time with it before it ages the way your first generation iPad mini did. If you're going refurb, then iPad mini 2 over 3, for sure; though you're at the mercy of whatever Apple has (or doesn't have) in stock just as you would the refurbished original Air. If you can wait until the refurbished Air 2s come out then that's probably most ideal as you still get more time with what you get before it inevitably gets outdated.

The only way the iPad mini 3 will get longer support than what the iPad mini 2 currently has now is if:

- Apple requires TouchID and/or the NFC chip for a critical OS function (highly unlikely)

- Apple arbitrarily sets the cutoff between the mini 2 and the mini 3 (highly unlikely given that they're otherwise the same iPad mini)

Needless to say, odds aren't very good that the iPad mini 2 and iPad mini 3 won't cease to receive the latest updates at the same exact time.