Votes: 126 57.0%
  • Panel starting with 5

Votes: 95 43.0%

• Total voters

timotheezz

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
New Jersey
thanks for that...as for the panel...i have a 7 but i have never noticed any sort of pattern on my screen
My friend just got an iPhone two days ago. I've had mine since launch, then got it replaced last Monday.

When we compared our phones, we set it up to max brightness, and auto-brightness was off. Mine looked brighter without a question.

After doing this Panel ID test, I found out mine was a 5 series, and he checked his and his was a 7.

So perhaps you can compare your panel to a friend's iPhone, preferrably in the dark with the settings I mentioned above.

Or maybe you shouldn't. My friend loved his phone until he saw it wasn't as bright as mine, and there were some color issues when compared to mine.

YMMV I guess

earthsick

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
central nj
My friend just got an iPhone two days ago. I've had mine since launch, then got it replaced last Monday.

When we compared our phones, we set it up to max brightness, and auto-brightness was off. Mine looked brighter without a question.

After doing this Panel ID test, I found out mine was a 5 series, and he checked his and his was a 7.

So perhaps you can compare your panel to a friend's iPhone, preferrably in the dark with the settings I mentioned above.

Or maybe you shouldn't. My friend loved his phone until he saw it wasn't as bright as mine, and there were some color issues when compared to mine.

YMMV I guess
yeah i am thinking i will go with the later...i see no color issues or pattern issues and love my iPhone so i guess i will just not worry about it...besides, i'm sure it wouldnt be the easiest thing to get it replaced for this reason

on another note...could there be a connection between the people getting poor battery life and the panel version? is it possible the people with poor battery life have the version 5 panel which is brighter?

Doozy

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2005

I got it on iDay and haven't noticed any thing wrong with my display.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Here's my post from the other thread about the dots...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=328862

Apple is replacing mine, but it may be because of the bubbles and not the white dots. :)

Okay so I figured that before I ship my iPhone off to get repaired/replaced, I should take full photographic evidence of everything. The first thing I noticed was that when I dial *3001#12345#* to get the Field Test, there's a typo ... :) It says Firware, shouldn't it say Firmware? :p

I took a video of the dots and how they show up half way through boot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_4m04WE7n8

If you want the full quality video, download it here:
http://www.mydatabus.com/public/wolfet/MVI_0001.mp4

Here are the bubbles in the glass, and the dots. Click for bigger photos:

iPhoneHome

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2007
Why are people being so idiotic? I have the white dots, But I can Only See them if I put my phone on a weird unusable angle. I don't think it is a defect, it's just how the phone was intended to be. Who knows...maybe the people with the dots have better functionality with the touch screen effectiveness. Stop Whining! If you bought the best most expensive 60" LCD HDTV and looked at it from an unconventional angle you would probably see something that didn't look right as well. :(

JMax1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
Harlem, NY
As far as the 5* being brighter, I can't imagine anything short of the surface of the sun being brighter than this screen. I usually even keep it halfway down and it still looks bright, especially outdoors.

And I just realized I do have the dots, but they really only show up when I have the brightness all the way up, and since I rarely do, I hardly ever notice it.

Keep it or not???

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
yeah i am thinking i will go with the later...i see no color issues or pattern issues and love my iPhone so i guess i will just not worry about it...besides, i'm sure it wouldnt be the easiest thing to get it replaced for this reason

on another note...could there be a connection between the people getting poor battery life and the panel version? is it possible the people with poor battery life have the version 5 panel which is brighter?
Good point ;)

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
You have to go to field test mode by entering *3001#12345#* and go to Versions, there you will see an LCD Panel ID.

I don't know who makes the two LCD panels, but one starts with a 7 and one with a 5.

Mine is, 7455232.

List yours and vote on which you have.

I had a version 5 panel and found it to be way more crisp and even before I had to exchange out my iPhone.
I have 7455232, too and it's flawless.

btallada9870

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
i get a message saying "Error performing request. No network service" i have full service, but it won't work. Is there any other way to get this information?

AaronHeth

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2005
Savannah, Georgia
I have a 7 and see absolutely no dots or checkers at any angle. When in direct sunlight sometimes I have to let my eyes adjust to see the screen but its always very usable, and when I'm not in direct sun and have the brightness all the way up, its exceedingly bright. I usually keep it at about 20% brightness.

kauffee

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2007
For those of you who have 7s, don't feel cheated. I had a 7 with my first phone, but had to have it replaced because the external speaker didn't work. My new phone is a 5. Yes, it's brighter and the whites are whiter. But the blacks are not as black and, overall, I feel that the colors are less vivid than the 7. I had my 7 on the default brightness setting and I never noticed any white dots. IMO, the 7 is the better screen.

Personally, I'd kill to get my 7 screen back. Reading a few posts, it seems like people getting new phones in the last week or so are getting 5s. Is that true? Have any of you who bought phones in the last few days gotten a 7? I'd like to go back to the store and swap mine out, but I know it's going to be a difficult argument and if most of the new ones are 5s, anyway, then it's probably just not worth it.