Votes: 126 57.0%
  • Panel starting with 5

Votes: 95 43.0%

• Total voters

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Launch day iPhone with a 7 series screen here. While I can see the dots, I have to hold the screen up very close to my eyes and tilt it at a certain angle. Nothing to complain about, at least on my screen.

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i
Launch day iPhone with a 7 series screen here. While I can see the dots, I have to hold the screen up very close to my eyes and tilt it at a certain angle. Nothing to complain about, at least on my screen.
Same here, i got to compare my iphones screen quality to my friends 5. i prefer my iphones screen. His was a lot brighter like everyone has said, and mines had much nicer contrast. I didnt get to see what the brightness was set on his, but i keep mine at about 1/3 and its still really bright.

Wallace25

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2007

I only see the white dots if I hold my iPhone directly under a lamp with all other lights in the room off, but in normal lighting conditions I have no problems.

ashVID

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
No defects at all, just personal preference. Under normal use, you cant see the pattern. I keep my brightness at 40% MAX, any more toasts my eyes. I have a 7, my buddy a 5. The difference is so marginal most people wouldnt know. On a micro level, I prefer the 7, videos pop a little more as do photos. Again, marginal though...

ash =o)

toxthexnines

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2007
405/918
5* and i think i may have one dead pixel in the middle of my screen
if i look at it from straight above it looks like a dead pixel but if i look at it from the side it looks like its a "floating black dot" in the middle of the glass, idk if its really a dead pixel or just a reallly micro size piece of dust. (i have a screen protector on it)

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Tox - I just discovered the same thing last night in the corner of the screen. It looks like it's on the protector but I can't get it off. I'm banking on the spec being between glass & shield but I don't want to peel up this corner to find out. If you figure it out, pls post.

I can't imagine there'd be a spec IN the glass layers?

jlanuez

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
USA
First in line on :apple:iDay and got a "5". Looks very clear, no dots (grainy look), and no dead pixels as far as I can tell.

jbothos

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2005
Philly
I have a 7455232 (just bought it last week) from a Cingular store and I do not see any dots (as far as I can tell)

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I have a 7 series. I can see the dots if I look REALLY close up on the screen, but they are not nearly as apparent as some of the photos I've seen here. I have to be nose-to-screen with mine to notice them. That said, I THOUGHT I could notice dots in the same way when I stared at a 5 series screen at an Apple store. I've also seen some 5's at the Apple store whose screens looked bright, but seriously washed out (unable to produce a solid black without the white of the backlight leaking through).

That said, I don't notice this at all in my daily use. I've noticed no other defects, so I'm certainly not going to return it and demand a 5.

I have a couple of high-res cameras (including a Hassleblad with a PhaseOne P45) so I'm going to try and image my 7* over the weekend, and see what the camera finds.

thestaton

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2006
I purchased my phone on Sept 12, it's a 7 series and looks great. sorry about the inconvenience some of you had to go threw.

cah87

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
You have to go to field test mode by entering *3001#12345#* and go to Versions, there you will see an LCD Panel ID.

I don't know who makes the two LCD panels, but one starts with a 7 and one with a 5.

Mine is, 7455232.

List yours and vote on which you have.

I had a version 5 panel and found it to be way more crisp and even before I had to exchange out my iPhone.
i have the exact same number as you.

jlanuez

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
USA
Two - 5 series

Bought my iPhone on iDay and it is a "5" (AT&T store)
Bought wife's iPhone 2 days ago, also "5" (Apple store)

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Mine is 7455232

Everything looks great except for very dark scenes in videos - where I get the negative black effect that people have been reporting with the iPod Touches. Not sure if I'm keeping it or if I'll try to exchange it yet.

EDIT: forgot to mention that I bought mine about 10 days ago. Anybody else having the negative black problem with a recently purchased iPhone?