Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iPhone series did you skip?

• Original (2G)

Votes: 46 40.0%
  • 3G/3GS

Votes: 25 21.7%
  • 4/4s

Votes: 15 13.0%
  • 5/5S/5C

Votes: 16 13.9%
  • 6/6+/6S/6S+

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • SE

Votes: 70 60.9%
  • 7/7+

Votes: 56 48.7%
  • 8/8+

Votes: 73 63.5%
  • X/XS/XS+

Votes: 32 27.8%

• Total voters

Applefan4

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
Had:

iPhone 4
Skipped 4S
iPhone 5
Skipped 5S
iPhone 6+
iPhone 6S+
iPhone 7+
Skipped 8/8+/X
Now on XS Max

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I had all of them up until the 4S.

Didn't like the size of the 5, so that was the first one I skipped. Wanted Touch ID, so did get the 5S.

Really didn't like the size of the 6, so I skipped it and also the 6S.

I considered an SE, but got a 7 which has now been replaced by a Xs.

Still hate the size.

adamgbiggs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
UK
I skipped the original and 3G etc as I just didn’t like them at all, I was still a huge Nokia fan and loved my N-Series phones, I didn’t jump on the Apple train until they announced the iPhone 4, by this time Nokia was failing with touch phones, they were clunky to use, so I gave the i4 a try and never looked back, it was a beautiful device and still is today, I’ve had most of Apple’s phones from the 4 onwards only missing the SE, 5C and the 8/X last year, I now have an Xs and Apple’s phones are still awesome today as they were when I first got my i4, a very premium experience IMO.

Adam.

SteelHeart

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2018
my iphones list : 6 plus - 7 plus - now planning to upgrade to XS max
Skipped 6s plus as I felt they are same as my 6 plus
skipped 8 plus as it I didn't feel much difference compared to my 7 plus
skipped x as I felt screensize (form factor) was bad compared to 7 plus and didn't lik the design of that notch
now planning to upgrade to XS max even though my 7 plus is in good condition and even though i dont like notch on XS max. But I have a gut feel that notch may get smaller or may go off next year. So still in dilemma wheather I want to upgrade or not this year.

Last edited:

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I skipped the original iPhone because it didn't have 3G which made it a non-starter for me. I came on board with the 3G then upgraded every two years, so I missed out on all the S and 7 models.

Last year when the new models were split up I decided the asking price had gone too high with the X so I went for the 8+. This year is a skip year and I have no idea what I will go for next year but I can't see myself ever spending £1000+ on an iPhone so I'm hoping the XR is a big success.

razmonster

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2017
11372↔️90254
i had 2G and then went back to my Blackberry because i absolutely HATED the 3G body style (i still cringe thinking about it) i then moved onto the HTC G1 and then T-Mobile MyTouch... Then Galaxy S4 then BACK to iPhone with 5s because of finger print then 6 but skipped 6s then 7/x/max

tks900

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
Started with the 3GS and then upgraded every two years to 4S, 5S, 6S. Loved all of those. Skipped due upgrade last year, because I was unconvinced of Face ID, didn’t like the X price point and wouldn’t settle for less (which would have been the 8). In the market now for the XR.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I didn’t get the original iPhone 2G because at the time I was a crackberry fan. Got the 3G and never looked back.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Looking back, I have not skipped an iPhone release since the device was introduced back in 2007 (even sold my BlackBerry at the time to fund the purchase). I even still have my SE as a back up.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Original (2G)
  • Skipped - too young
3G/3GS
  • Skipped - too young
4/4s
  • 4S was first iPhone
5/5S/5C
  • Skipped - Still happy with my 4S - saw no reason to upgrade
6/6+/6S/6S+
  • 6+. Wanted larger screen. 6S/+ wasn't enough of an upgrade for me.
SE
  • Skipped - didn't like smaller screen
7/7+
  • Got 7 when I got tired of trying to use my 6+ one-handed. Missed larger screen and battery so switched to 7+.
8/8+
  • Skipped - not about to pay for 4 year old design of which I already had 3 phones with that design
X/XS/XS+
  • Now have XS Max

caelius

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2015
Innsbruck, Austria
I had:
- X

Sooo, always skipped the S. Will definitively skip the XS, too, and stay with my X a little bit longer as it finally is the first iPhone which - for me - tickes all the boxes. :)

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
7+. I tried it.. in fact, I tried about 4 or 5 of them. My main issue was the camera. It was the first dual-lens on the iPhone and the ‘math’ between the two lenses often created some horrible images.

I did extensive testing, including isolating each lens and after a month or so I went back to the 6S+.

I was able to show Apple conclusively (they agreed and captured the last phone) that something was off with the white balance and noise reduction of the camera (separate issues). The issue existed in low and good light.

Apple may have fixed it by now but I was tired of waiting. It made images of my boys look horrible. It was worse with lighter skin tones.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I skipped the original iPhone because it didn't have 3G which made it a non-starter for me. I came on board with the 3G then upgraded every two years, so I missed out on all the S and 7 models.

Last year when the new models were split up I decided the asking price had gone too high with the X so I went for the 8+. This year is a skip year and I have no idea what I will go for next year but I can't see myself ever spending £1000+ on an iPhone so I'm hoping the XR is a big success.
So you missed out on all the fun of being near speakers (even better on a conference call) when a text or call came through an EDGE phone.

Reactions: OllyW

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Bought first one then upgraded every 2 years (carrier subsidized pricing), never had a S model of any of them. Last one i bought was my 7, skipped 8 per usual, unusual now skipping Xs. Will wait for next year hopefully to see a smaller offering and one without cellular connectivity issues.

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
My money tree out back hasn't been abundantly fruitful for the past several years, so I'm much more likely to skip than buy. My first was a 4S, a great phone that my wife still uses.

I skipped the 5 (didn't need to upgrade), the 5s (I didn't want an elongated 4S), and the 6 (couldn't quite pull the trigger and concerned about the strength of the housing), but bought the 6s after the initial reviews were so positive. I'm still using the 6s, a very solid phone.

I skipped the X, though I wanted a "full screen" phone, simply because of the price. I'll probably order a XR within the next few weeks. It seems like a good value.

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
Bought:
3G
6+
X

Since 5, I skip if exterior design doesn't change.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I generally skipped the "S" revisions so I skipped:

3GS - had the 3G subsidized on an AT&T 2-year contract
4S - had the 4 subsidized on an AT&T 2-year contract
5S - had the 5 subsidized on an AT&T 2-year contract
5c - had the same internals as the 5 which I already owned
6S Plus - had the 6 Plus subsidized on an AT&T 2-year contract
8 - was on the IUP starting with the 7 plus and I upgraded to an X after 1 year

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I've upgraded every year since the 3G.

I skipped the original because I was reluctant to buy a phone that I'd have to smudge up with fingerprints, it was on EDGE, the price seemed high for the time, and web apps seemed limited.

I didn't get the SE because I was done with small form factor phones after the 6 Plus was introduced.

I skipped the 8 Plus because I wanted the X (although it was physically smaller than the 8 Plus, I liked the edge to edge screen, swipe interface, OLED, etc; however, I really wanted that type of phone in a Plus size, but of course, the Max wasn't available until a year later)

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
I had the 1st iPhone (still have it)

Skipped the 3G (because of Contract)

Got the 3GS

Skipped the 4 because I got a BB then HTC EVO 3D( Got tired of iOS)

Got a 4S when the 5 came out( Fell back in love with iOS after getting a iPad 2

Skipped the 5

Got a 5S
Got a 6 Plus
Skipped the 6S Plus (Still in 6P Contract)

Got the 7 Plus
Skipped the 8 Plus (Still in 7 P lease)

Skipped the X (Still in 7P lease)

Got the XS Max

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.