Which iPhone to get late 2017

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ermir444, Sep 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ermir444 macrumors regular

Coming from Galaxy A5 (2016) and looking for a new iPhone with a bigger screen to use for the next 2 years.

iPhone X - do not want to vote with my wallet for $1k+ phones and don’t want to beta test 1st gen device for apple
    iPhone 8+ - not enough new features to justify it over 7/6s
    iPhone 7+ - waterproofing / stereospeaker / A10 bionic / good price (in this crazy 1k+ phone world)
    iPhone 6S+ - headphone jack / physical home button / very good price (in this crazy 1k+ phone world)

As you can tell, I’m between 7+ and 6S+. Question is, will the 6S plus run smoothly in the next 2 years (incl iOS12)?

2. ValhallaOutcast macrumors regular

ValhallaOutcast

7plus for sure best value right now

3. JamesIV macrumors newbie

7 Plus for sure. Let other people take the beach with the iPhone X.

4. Ermir444 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, do you think 7+ is worth extra €130 over 6S+? Could the A9 run iOS 12 smoothly?

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

At this point, I'd get the 7+ at a minimum. No sense in buying 2 year old hardware IMO.

You should keep your eye out for refurbed 7+:

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/iphone

6. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

How do you feel about the 3.5mm jack?

Ios12 should be fine for the 6s+. A saving of 130 euros is nothing to overlook.

7. thecore762 macrumors 6502

7+ is the way to go, faster hardware and iOS 11 is smooth on it. So you gonna have one more year of solid performance.

8. ValhallaOutcast macrumors regular

ValhallaOutcast

for me yes, I just bought my 7+ last friday so I was in the same boat as you, so wouldn't make sense if I told you something different.

9. MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

Note 8.

10. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I'm of the mind you should spend the least amount of money that fits your normal usage.

What are the top 10 things you do with an iPhone? Can the 6S or even SE perform those tasks as well as the 8 or X?

If yes always choose the cheaper option.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2017 ---
    Well since you put it out there, for the money that is what I would get.

11. Ermir444 thread starter macrumors regular

It is very important for now as I have 4 pairs of headphones spread between home, work, gym bag and just randomly pick one without having to care about the adaptor.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2017 ---
    I am of the same mindset as well, hence avoiding the X/8+

Top features I value:
    Screen
    Battery life
    Smoothness
    Design

My gf has the SE and I find it too small to type on. 6S+ would fit my needs but the only issue could become the A9 being unable to handle iOS11/12

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I would say the 7+ would have plenty of years of solid performance, at least three more.

13. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

I think the advice here isn’t that well thought out. If you really expect to use the phone for two years, you are going to want more than 32G of Storage. That makes the choice a $769 7+ (128G) vs a $799 8+ (64G). The 8+ will perform better in year 2 due to the new chip. Only go for the 7+ if you need the storage

14. kasakka macrumors 68020

Is there a reason you want to move to iOS?

To me at the moment none of Apple's phones present a very good value proposition when you have stuff like LG's V30 coming out soon. The V30 to me represents the best of everything Android phone at the moment with a big near bezelless non-curved display, comfortable physical size, great camera, latest Snapdragon, fast and wireless charging, plenty of RAM and enough disk space (upgradeable with microSD).

The iPhone 7/8 still have those massive bezels and the iPhone X is more of a concept phone at this point and most likely will be vastly improved next year. Fast charging costs extra too.

I do understand if you want to go iOS then iPhone is your only option and in that case I would probably just grab 7+ if you can deal with the physical size.

15. Fabmac macrumors member

Fabmac

2 years, i am the only one who thinks that the 6S is enough of power?

i would get or the 6S or the 8...
    nothing in between

16. Ermir444 thread starter macrumors regular

I purchased the iPad 2017 WiFi 32GB when it came out and its great. The reason i want to get back to iOS is the consistency of the software, it give you a sense of reliability (something not even the Note 8 can do). The A9 feels fast enough with iOS11 hence why i lean towards 6S+.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2017 ---
    Your opinion is very logical but 32BG is plenty for me. I have little need for more than that since I use the cloud for storage needs including photos (Google Photos) and music (Spotify). I still find the 7+ and 8+ poor value for what they offer on top of 6S+

17. kasakka macrumors 68020

Sounds like a good reason. I stick with Android for my phone despite loving my 2017 iPad Pro 12.9 because I feel for phone use Android is still more convenient and prefer some apps to their iOS counterparts. 6S+ means you don't have to deal with the headphone jack ******** but at the same time the A10 chip is a pretty good jump in performance. But for everyday tasks the A9 is probably perfectly fine for the next two years.

18. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Of course the 6s+ would cover the OP's needs.

Fears for ios12 are groundless.

19. coney718 macrumors regular

The 6s+ is still a great device, im using one right now and it runs well. Even though the battery doesnt last as long as it used to. But if you're buying a phone now to use for the next 2 years then 7+ is the way to go. Doesn't really make sense to me to buy an already 2 year old device to use for another 2 years if you have the money for the 7.

20. Ermir444 thread starter macrumors regular

good point, but i hate the lack of a headphone jack...

21. Fabmac macrumors member

Fabmac

I got myself an se because i clould not decide what to get.

The problem is not the lack of an headphone jack, its the need to carry an adapter i think thats against apple philosophy because we are compatible with everything and we dont need adapters, unitl now..
    What the heck apple.