Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doubleatheman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Simple Poll,

I was surprised at how many different ways you can arrive at by owning the 4g.

I want to see why people plan to or plan not to get the 4, ie: people who don't want the 4, because they have a 3gs.

People who have the original are unimpressed with the 4 (IDK, i'm just making examples)

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Original iPhone - Didn't buy
iPhone 3G - Purchased
iPhone 3GS - Skipped, didn't feel it was much of an upgrade
iPhone 4 - Major upgrade, definitely buying

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
Copied from the thread you edited away

Bought first gen unlocked it and used on tmobile, skipped 3G cause I couldn't use it for faster net on tmobile, switched to AT&T on 3GS launch day, now I traded in my phone at best buy and have a gift card waiting to pre order iPhone 4

youngplaya0228

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
iPhone 2G: didn't get, had an iPod touch
iPhone 3G: received as a gift, love the thing
iPhone 3Gs: skipped, didn't qualify for the upgrade
iPhone 4: if i qualify for an early upgrade (should though), going to buy day 1 for the first time. If not, going for a 3Gs

doubleatheman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Copied from the thread you edited away

Bought first gen unlocked it and used on tmobile, skipped 3G cause I couldn't use it for faster net on tmobile, switched to AT&T on 3GS launch day, now I traded in my phone at best buy and have a gift card waiting to pre order iPhone 4

Sorry!

the Poll is up!!!

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I bought the original at $250 refurbished when they were $400 because the $400 price point was just too high. Then two months later the 3G came out all price slashed, yay. So I waited a year for the 32GB storage I needed on the 3GS and got one on the first day.

If someone out there still owns the original iPhone and isn't upgrading to iPhone 4, I must ask what the hell you're waiting on. You can now get more affordable data plans and EVERYTHING is faster on the 3GS, likely the 4. If you can't afford it, go rob a bank or just take out a third mortgage.

Shorties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
Southern California
Since I only have owned one iPhone I will state my entire Mobile Phone history:

1) Some Sony Ericsson candybar type phone (can't remember the model) (2003-2006)
2) Razr v2 (2006-2008)
3) iPhone 3G 16GB (2008-2010)
Soon) iPhone 4 32GB

And yeah going from a Razr to an iPhone was like going from silent cinema into 3D surround sound high def modern cinema.

doubleatheman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 27, 2009
For me I got the Orginal.... 3gs, and now I want the 4

Didn't get the 3g, because I already owned a GPS, and My town had no 3G, didn't feel like throwing away my free texts & paying $10 more for non existant 3g, and I was a poor kid in 2008!

Got the 3gs because my original was getting old, and my town had 3g signal!

Getting 4, because I need more battery time, video chat looks cool, want a faster A4, looks cool...

doubleatheman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 27, 2009
I bought the original at $250 refurbished when they were $400 because the $400 price point was just too high. Then two months later the 3G came out all price slashed, yay. So I waited a year for the 32GB storage I needed on the 3GS and got one on the first day.

If someone out there still owns the original iPhone and isn't upgrading to iPhone 4, I must ask what the hell you're waiting on. You can now get more affordable data plans and EVERYTHING is faster on the 3GS, likely the 4. If you can't afford it, go rob a bank or just take out a third mortgage.

Also cheapos can get a 3gs 8gb with the $15 plan....

Basically the iPhone costs as much to buy & own as a crappy "semi smart" phone.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I had the original one, sold it for the 3G and have had the 3G since then. I have no money right now so I can't really get the 4th one. I have considered selling the 3G for the 3Gs right now, though, if I can get one for a cheap enough price.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Also cheapos can get a 3gs 8gb with the $15 plan....

Basically the iPhone costs as much to buy & own as a crappy "semi smart" phone.

I think my parents are going to be part of a huge boom in sales. You've got $99 iPhones and the data plan has been slashed in half for light users. They're now so affordable that just about anybody can get one. Quite a long journey from the $600 original.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I have the 3GS. My brains is telling me that I don't need iPhone 4 as I will be getting OS 4.0 anyway, but then I saw the iPhone 4 video, and I'm afraid regardless of what my brain thinks, my drooling will override the root access to my decision.

trav

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2008
Wisconsin
iPhone 8GB - Roughly 1 month post-launch
iPhone 3G 16GB White - On Launch
iPhone 3Gs 32GB White - On launch via mail/pre-order
iPhone 4 32GB White - Will pre-order, but may opt for in-store pick up since I missed the experience and excitement last year!

And, guess what? I will definitely get the 2011 model on launch, too! Ha!

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
first in line for the 2g and 3g, now have a 3gs and will (hopefully) be first in line for 4!

spectre51

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
I skipped the 3g. Definitely getting a 4 though just gotta scrape together the money since I am not eligible for a full discount. Anyone wanna buy a laptop :) This phone looks so freaking good I gotta get it.

hyped1

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2009
Austin, Tx
I have the 3GS. My brains is telling me that I don't need iPhone 4 as I will be getting OS 4.0 anyway, but then I saw the iPhone 4 video, and I'm afraid regardless of what my brain thinks, my drooling will override the root access to my decision.

My thoughts EXACTLY! The weirdest thing is I still LOVE my 3Gs as I did when I bought it last year on launch! It's my first iPhone and I skipped prior 2 versions as alot of stuff like voice dialing, and MMS were missing from the product. I still feel like it's fastest, coolest, most feature rich phone / gadget I've ever owned! But now in comes this beautiful monster known as iphone 4 and since its debut today all I know is I WANT it like a 7 yr old wants The Millennium Falcon! Aaagggghhh! If I know me I am going to bite the bullet and pay for upgrade!

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I've gotten every single iPhone each year and this year will be no different.

I still one of every iPhone model as well. I did at one time buy three original iPhones activated on the iPhone pick a plan.

Owned original 8GB
Owned three original 16GB
Owned two 3G 16GB
Owned one 3GS 32GB

unwittingFanboy

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
Bought the original iPhone. it was the most beautiful thing i had ever owned (along with my iMac).

Its really battered - completely scratched back, large crack across the screen, casing is sticking out on one side, had to replace the battery, earpiece volume is really low, volume down control doesn't work oh and a few of the pixels died during the iPhone 4 announcement.

wanted the 3gs but didn't buy it. i'm most definitely buying the iPhone 4

Agent13

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
LAX
Original iPhone > iPhone 4

I'll never forget the day I purchased my original iPhone as I upgraded from my seriously outdated Sony Ericsson T-616 that I had from 2003. I decided to hold on to it for as long as I could but now is the time to move on. I still can't decide which color I want, but am leaning towards white because of the engadget photos and for a different look.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
iPhone 3G > iPhone 4

Bought an 8GB iPhone 3G on the day after they were released (got the last one in the store).

I think I'll be going for a 32GB iPhone 4 once they hit Australian shores in July (and thank you Mum and Dad, would you like to throw in some money as a birthday present?).

3G will be going to my brother.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.