Which ipod touch to get 58 YO dad

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chris7777, Apr 1, 2011.

1. chris7777 macrumors 6502

So my mom wants me to locate a used ipod touch so that my dad can use it to listen to an online radio app.

She keeps saying that age and all that doesn't matter, and was even looking at paying like $150 or more for a refurbished first generation ipod touch.

I personally think she should at least be looking at 3rd gen myself. price would definitely be $200 tops, she said refurbished from apple for $150.

I"m checking craigslist, where I got mine. Hoping to fun across a decent looking one.

Any reccomendations on specs so the thing is not outdated, within a month.

I know I haven't upgraded to the newest version of Ios because Im thinking of jailbreaking for a while (i have a 4th gen 32 gig touch with no OS updates yet)

I just hate to see her pay $150 for an 8 gig 1st or second gen device that will be outdated next year and not be able to run what he wants it to.

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

The first gen is already outdated and doesn't support ios4. If you really want to future proof the device get a second hand 4G but after reading your situation a 2nd hand 3G in good condition seems like your best bet.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

4. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Not sure what age has to do with it. Get a 4G refurbished.

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Ill sell you my used 4th Gen for 170. I can PM you pics of you would like. It's in great condition and I will include the case I have for it.

6. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

In your situation I'd go for a refurbished 4th Gen.

7. chris7777 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know what to do, My mom is indecicive. she will ask me to look but when I do she says shes "just looking" and not in a big hurry. (which will probably be the case till she pays too much for one because whatever it is that gets her in the mood to buy)

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

When you buy a new one, you get the latest features, warranty, and a brand new battery (which means it will have longer playback time). I would pay for a new one. If she is strict on the $150 limit, as much as I hate to say it, I'd recommend a refurbished iPod from Apple (regardless of generation) *unless* she gets a stellar price on a used one.

9. baypharm, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011

baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm