Which is a better deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hotnts, Jul 2, 2010.

1. hotnts macrumors member

I am new to the mac world other than iPhone. Out of these two which is a better deal?

1)

$1400 cash Comes with applecare until 10/2011 and assorted adobe programs as well.
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB (upgradable)
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B05
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled
    Graphics Cards: NVIDIA GeForce 9400MNVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

2USB
    1FW 800
    8XDL Superdrive
    Airport Extreme, 2 USB ports, 1 FW 800 Port
    320 GB HD @ 7200rpm

2)

Macbook Pro 15" 2.4ghz i5 sealed, never opened or used, 1-yr warranty
    Glossy (not Matte) screen
    It comes with 320GB 5400 rpm HD 4GB RAM sealed with Apple's 1 full year warranty

Applecare Protection Plan package is also available for additional $180 with the purchase of the computer (sealed package that you will use to register 3-yr Applecare under your name)

Retail price is $1799 + tax

Snow Leopard + iLife '09

Sealed new item, never opened or used~$1570 with 1-yr warranty, $1750 with Applecare Protection Plan

Meet in a Starbucks or cafe during the day.

Cash & carry; no offers or trade--no shipping. Serious inquiry only.

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Number 2. You can get AppleCare for about $130ish on eBay. :)

3. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Are the Adobe products included with their original media and product keys? Never trust someone who puts pirated software on a system and touts that as a feature.

4. hotnts thread starter macrumors member

Even with the harddrive being faster on #1. It seems like #1 is a higher end mbp. Or am i wrong?

5. hotnts thread starter macrumors member

yes they are with original product keys and product cds. :D

6. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

uh No. the second one is clearly the faster computer. And is unopened. It is obvious the second is the better deal, but skip applecare.

7. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Well, yes, you're wrong. :p The hard drive speed increase is reasonably negligible in comparison to the likes of an SSD. You could always swap out for an SSD later on when they're cheaper if you feel like you need a faster drive. As for the CPU which I'm assuming you're basing this on --- an i5 CPU is much better than a C2D which is now very old technology. C2D is really 4 year old technology now, whereas you're giving yourself better future-proofing by buying i5. Granted, they're still 2-core machines, but you'll be getting a considerable speed boost, while saving precious battery life. Also, you're getting a better graphics card for your money and it's brand new --- warranty can be extended right through to June 2013.

8. hotnts thread starter macrumors member

The graphics card on two is better than the first? I am sorry for being slow about this. I appreciate the input. Even on reputable sites the first option is still more money than the i5 if i were to buy online.

9. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

No. The second MBP is the latest model with latest graphics card (330m). It's faster in every way, with more battery capacity than the first. As everyone else has said, the second machine is the better deal.

10. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Just believe me; every single thing about the second one is better. You'd be foolish to buy the first, considering the small price difference.

11. hotnts thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much for all if the help. I went to confirm I wanted the i5 and it was spoken for already. Somebody else has this sealed brand new i7
    Basic Specifications:

2.66GHz Intel Core i7
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    1440 x 900 LED-backlit, glossy
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
    Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

For 2000 is it worth the extra for this one now?

12. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Do you realize that if you are a student you can get some decent deals yourself. They have a discount on every model and now you can get a free printer and iPod.
    If you sold the printer and iPod, you would be spending a similar amount to what these people on eBay and craigslist are charging. And at least with apple you can finance.

13. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal