Which is better, Boot Camp or Parallels?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by CooLiSH, Nov 17, 2009.

1. CooLiSH macrumors member

Hi..
    I want to install Windows on my Mac to use it for MSN, Word, Music, regular staff not for graphics or gaming. So which should be better Boot Camp or Parallels?

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

parallels/fusion would be less hassle

Boot Camp and Parallels are two totally different ways to run windows, kinda hard to compare them.

With Boot Camp you would have to reboot everytime you needed to use Windows.

With Parallels or Fusion, you would not.

Boot Camp is free. Parallels/Fusion is $35+

Boot Camp is a lot faster.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Parallels, but why can't you do most of that in OS X? Why Windows?

4. CooLiSH thread starter macrumors member

Well whats the best word i can use in Mac?
    About msn, its not full like windows especialy the cam.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

For light Windows usage, get Parallel. Heavy users will need BC.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

They make Word for Mac, but there are dozens of alternatives.

That is MS' fault, but again, there are alternatives - like aMSN and Adium. aMSN has video, IIRC.

7. Jodlesx macrumors member

Not everyone is able to put up with aMSN and its sluggish interface (although they did just update it, should check it out). And Word for Mac is a joke.

8. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

If you are not gaming or doing anything that is graphics intensive, then Parallels is the way to go. Bootcamp only makes sense if you need all your computers resources to be working with the app you are using. Or you don't wish to pay for parallels.

9. theGTIguy macrumors newbie

I enjoy working with the entire windows OS in a single window, minimizing it or maximizing, alternating between OS X and Windows. Parallels is my choice, but this is entirely preference. Office 2008 for OS X is no slouch, unless you are looking for VBA support, which Office 2007 for Windows is the only option.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

If you intend on serious gaming, I believe bootcamp is a better choice.

11. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

Apologies for necro.

Just as an aside, if I were to install a windows 7 VM (with purchased licence), could I use it to run more than 1 VM, providing I don't run more than 1 at a time?

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I definitely would not try the multiple VM thing with an OEM/System Builder's license which does not include transfer rights. Even if it's the same (virtual) hardware this is playing fast and loose with the licensing terms. From the retail license (which includes transfer rights):

If your goal is to have one license of Windows, but multiple physical machines, just put the VM on the fastest external HDD you can manage and run it from that. You'd also get the same apps and data if you do that. Kind of like a roll your own Iomega v.Clone http://www.iomega.com/about/prreleases/2010/010510_vclone.html

B

13. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

No, you need a Windows license for each virtual machine. From the legal perspective, there is no difference between a virtual or a 'real' machine.

If you cannot even live with the Mac pendants of those applications, then I wonder why have OS X on your computer in the first place. Just make Windows the only operating system on your computer and be done with it.

14. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It doesn't matter. As I quoted, you can't use transfer rights to share one license between various computers.

One VM on a portable HDD is as close as you can get.

B

16. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

Hm, ok, ta. :)

Actually, thinking about it, this is a moot argument - I've just remembered I could use my valid XP licence for a second windows VM :)

17. iPhisch macrumors 6502

I did Bootcamp for a while, but it's really annoying to have to restart the machine everytime you want to switch. I'm now using VMWare Fusion with XP on my Mac mini (2010). XP runs faster this way than it does on my old P4 PC. It helps to have 8GB of ram though. It's nice to file share between the two, and just turn off XP when I'm finished. Seamless.

18. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I use VMware Fusion for the one or two PC-only programs I need to use during the year. Unfortunately I have no choice in having to go to these programs. I go to Windows always with reluctance. Everything else I need and use is on my Mac.The virtual set up allows me to seamlessly move back and forth between Xp and Snow Leopard rather than having to restart my Mac when using boot camp to access Xp..

19. mdgolom macrumors 6502

Another option that's free is Oracle's VirtualBox (used to be Sun). I just upgraded my iMac to 10.6 and my version of Parallels wasn't compatible. I download VirtualBox and haven't had any problems.

20. NiGoosHii macrumors newbie

What do you mean?

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

With BootCamp, you can run the Mac OS or Windows, but not at the same time. To switch between the two you must reboot the computer.