Which is better? Zune HD or I-Pod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Mr.Goodbar, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Mr.Goodbar macrumors member

Mr.Goodbar

battle royale against features and comparability also does anyone know if it is possible to sync ipod touch with more than one computer? as in use more than just the one itunes it is registered to

2. na1577 macrumors 6502a

An iPod touch can only be synced with one computer at a time. If you try plugging it into a second computer, it will prompt you to wipe the device's memory.

3. Mr.Goodbar thread starter macrumors member

Mr.Goodbar

is it possible to not have to wipe the memory? jb or no

4. na1577 macrumors 6502a

5. Mr.Goodbar thread starter macrumors member

Mr.Goodbar

6. jtmx29 macrumors regular

jtmx29

Zune HD does have an OLED screen, but the IPOD is much more feature rich!

7. pnt101 macrumors member

pnt101

when you plug into another computer it asks to sign in. when you sing in you register that computer for 1 out of 5 comps your ipod can sync to without deletings.

8. Toby Goodbar macrumors 6502

To the OP: FIRST OFF, i just HAVE to ask, where or how did you get your screen name? i think you can tell i'm asking for obvious reasons. haha

YES YOU CAN. sort of. if you mean sync as in technically sync data then no, not without modifying some code in the 2nd itunes database. you can google for more info. BUT if you mean, you just want to be able to get media from different itunes that you plug into, then yes.

to set it up. plug into YOUR itunes, click on your itouch and under the summary tab where it says options, check off the box that says "manually manage music and videos".

now you can "sync" or grab media from any itunes you plug into. hope that helped. enjoy!

DEFINATELY JAILBREAK would be my answer if you have an iPhone. otherwise i just feel iphone has too many features missing. JBing allows you 2 make it the phone it should've been out the box.

But more direct to your questions since i'm guessing you have a touch, its up to you. if you like theming and generally customizing and fiddling with different gadgets then go for it. otherwise i don't think i see a reason.

9. johnnyhow macrumors regular

Really? Because the only thing I have synced with my touch is apps, everything else ( such as music, movies and tv shows) is not synced and so I can put music on my itouch from any computer (yes I have tested it).

10. Chwisch87 macrumors 6502

The Zune has much better sound quality and can output 720P to a TV over HDMI using a Zune AV dock.

The Touch has the app store.

Do you watch tv/listen to music or play around with apps?

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I believe you could play around with them side-by-side at a story like Best Buy, that's probably the best way to figure out.

The answers here and on the Zune forums will not be biased one bit... I mean they are going to be the absolute fairest judgements...

12. na1577 macrumors 6502a

No, that's for iTunes Store Accounts.

You can share purchased media with up to five computers.

Is it set to manually sync? That's the only way I know of that you can do that.

But if you drag music from the computer to the iPod (with manual sync), you won't be able to add it to your iTunes library.

13. Toby Goodbar macrumors 6502

14. msandersen macrumors regular

Yes it is, by turning syncing off and adding music manually, by manually dragging music or folders onto the iPod as listed in the side pane. You can get the music off on another computer by using 3rd party utilities like Senuti. The music is stored in a hidden folder using an obscure naming scheme to deter copying, but programs like Senuti can read the database and copy them off with the right names.

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sound quality? Not from legit reviewers.

Zune AV dock is optional accessory. It cost more money. It also puts the total weight near a NetBook. Not something you would carry around normally. In addition, are you going to carry 2 or 3 movies and nothing else?

Long comparison between iPod touch and Zune HD
    http://wp.me/pBLRG-LU

Nope. There is manual mode.

16. Chwisch87 macrumors 6502

ummm ok.. Maybe you should read more.

Zune HD Engadget
    This is done to the DAC, or digital to analog converter. Just for fun a university friend of my actually tested the DAC on an iphone/ipod/ipod touch and found them to actually be pretty ... dismal. My ZuneHD is basically now my music player because it sounds soo much better than my iphone. Zune's have always been know to have better quality than the ipods.

17. Chwisch87 macrumors 6502

18. na1577 macrumors 6502a

In manual mode, media can be dragged onto the iPod but it won't sync back to the main computer. So if you get music from a different computer, you can't add it to your iTunes library.

19. johnnyhow macrumors regular

Which is exactly the same as any other iPod.

20. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Both the Zune and the iPod Touch are DRM-infested pieces of crap and should NOT be supported with your money by buying either one of them.

Buy something that does not rely on DRM. A good indicator for a non-restrictive device is if it works out of the box with Banshee on Linux.

21. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

And which is exactly the reason why such a device should not be bought.

22. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

If your looking for a versatile multimedia player, game console, productivity tool, and pocket computer then get the iPod Touch. If your looking for something to wipe your a** with, then get the Zune.

23. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

That's not true at all actually.

24. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

I'd have a problem with DRM too if I was a thief.

25. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Zune HD = HD radio, more music focused. Windows Only!
    iPod touch = Does everything, but then might not be for extreme music enthusiast (that shouldn't apply here).