All iPads Which is cheaper, an iPad on its on plan or getting a shared data plan?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Pinkstiletto66, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

I plan on getting an iPhone in the future as well as another iPad (currently using a wifi model.) Does it end up cheaper doing the everything shared plan?

My plan if I were to get the phone alone would be to get the 4Gb plan. Currently I'm watching how much data I use with wifi and data together. Previously using no wifi I used 6 to 7 gbs in a month 4g. If I were to get the wifi and data iPad I was thinking of the $30 a month plan. I have no intentions of going up to $50 a month on a pad. Which roughy would be more economical? Also is it possible to use an app like foxfi instead of needing a data iPad? I understand that my data may or may not be taken from my phones plans

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I tried it once on AT&T, and it cost me over $100. You have to add the text messaging too. So you should just stick to tethering. Those share plans are meant for families who have like 5 smartphones, not for people like us that have a two devices.

4. donnaw macrumors 65816

Are you tethering now? Do you plan to carry your iPad most places you use data?

I'm on a shared plan. I find that I use very little data on my phone now because I have my iPad with me a lot so I use it. But that won't work for everyone. I suggest you not only monitor your data usage but try to determine when and how you might be without your iPad and how much data you will need on your phone.

If you're on ATT the good news is that you can change if it turns out to be more expensive.

5. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Carrier? Good question, I know Sprint is not an option so between VZW, AT&T and Tmobile, if their reception is good in my area. Well I got the iPad a few days ago mainly for my son so still getting use to it. If I'm out and about I don't think I'll use a tablet as my go to. My first option would be to use my phone. I have not tried to tether as yet.

6. Almy macrumors 6502

I found it cheaper to go with shared data and a tier that gives mobile hotspot for all of us. But I also have 4 smart phones. I know Verizon has a plan cost calculator on their web site, maybe the others do too.

7. 617aircav Suspended

If you are on att and willing to jailbreak, and don't need unlimited minutes, get 3gb of data with your cell plan and tether.

8. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

I probably won't jailbreak because I've never done it and don't want to eff up anything. I'd love unlimited data but I might not go with tmobile since I doubt they'd get the newer iPhones when June comes so Vzw and AT&T it looks like. Are there any apps I could use to tether? I use to use Foxfi with my old phone and tether to my computer.