Which is more popular, cellular or non?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TH55, Oct 5, 2018.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

I'm about to buy the series 4 aluminum 44 inches and I'm trying to decide whether to go cellular or just Bluetooth. For those with cellular data, how useful have you found it and could you ever go back? Those without it, how did you make your decision?

2. Dormammu, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018

Dormammu macrumors 65816

Dormammu

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    I’m in camp where I bought the cellular model but did not activate the cellular plan. I wanted this model for the additional battery size increase (even a little helps) And should I change my mind in the future I can always activate the cellular.

Edit: battery capacities are the same

3. Markgnyc2 macrumors regular

I was on the fence, but ultimately decided to keep the extra $100 in my pocket and save the approx. $10 per month for cellular that I would hardly take advantage of since I carry my phone everywhere...

4. dotzero123 macrumors regular

dotzero123

I love to go out without my phone and purse and use it constantly. There are calls that I don't want to miss when jogging or at the gym and it is a convenience, for me, that is worth the price of admission.

You need to decide if you will want to go out frequently without your phone and if you need to accept calls during those times.

It's all about how you want to use it and if you think that the $$ will be well spent.

Best of luck!

5. seattlecard macrumors member

Based on istocknow observations, cellular seems to be more popular... or Apple is producing less of them.

6. i hate phones, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018

i hate phones macrumors 6502a

I have the cellular. While I don't technically use the cellular features often, I like being able to go for walks/hikes without my phone and knowing I can contact someone if need be, or reply to anything urgent. streaming music is nice, but I suppose I could just download what's needed to the watch itself. I only pay $8 a month on t-mobile after discounts, if it was more I might reconsider.

Edit: Also, because I have cellular on my watch and don't have to always carry my phone, I upgraded to the Xs Max. I always felt I had to choose the smaller phones so they would fit in my pockets when walking. Now I am free :p

7. blwade macrumors 6502a

The battery is larger in the cellular model?

To answer OP, I don't think i'd ever opt to get cellular as I'm not often without my phone completely and don't want the extra charge to have it on a plan.

8. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

well I bought a cellular (wanted SS) but have no intention of activating the lte......
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2018 ---
    or the stainless are more popular and people wanting SS have no choice but to pay the upcharge for cellular.....

9. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

I've never seen any reports the battery is larger in GPS vs Cellular.

10. hologram macrumors 6502

I’m with Sprint, and with them it’s $15/mo. At $180 a year, you could almost buy a new watch every 2 years for that. Then again, a lot of people buying this watch have more money than me, and they’ll buy it even if they don’t need it.

11. traveller09 macrumors member

The series 4 cellular has a larger batter vs series 4 non cellular?

12. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Nowhere that I've seen.

13. dojoman macrumors 65816

Where in the world do you think battery is bigger for cellular? It's not true.

14. Dormammu macrumors 65816

Dormammu

Lol. Ok guys I may have been misinformed. Don’t get your panties in a bunch. My bad.

It was an assumption I made based on something I read in the past.

15. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Other people considering a purchase might read what you posted and think it's true if they haven't done a lot of research.

16. dojoman macrumors 65816

You're gonna make someone spend extra $100 for no reason if they didn't want cellular in the first place. :eek:

17. niji Contributor

niji

the non-cellular doesn't have a larger battery capacity than the cellular model, but it does have better battery life than the LTE model, if you have LTE turned on.

18. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

But battery life shout be the same, in theory, if they are both used as wifi-only.

19. Dormammu macrumors 65816

Dormammu

Did I not say I made a mistake? Get off your box.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2018 ---
    See response above.

Updated my original response just in case.

20. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

I purchased cellular last year...and never used it. Went to GPS only this year, money saved.

21. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I got cellular thinking if I need it I can activate it or if I don't I'll probably recoup some of the cost when I sell it used. I had the previous AW3 with cellular capabilities but never activated it. It would be convenient to have it if I forgot my phone but I don't generally leave home or my desk without it.

22. Sword86 macrumors regular

Bought SS. No choice but cellular. Saved me from deciding GPS or cellular if there was a choice. Don’t plan on activating LTE. S

23. kungxpao macrumors 6502

kungxpao

I wanted the Stainless Steel so had no choice but to get the cellular model.

24. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

oVerboost

GPS model, always have my phone with me plus my network (Three) don’t support the Apple Watch so made no sense to get the cellular model.