Which is Really the better, Retina (+IPS?) or OLED?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frosse, Jun 13, 2010.

1. frosse macrumors 6502a

Jobs claims Retina is superior to OLED and Samsung CEO says OLED kicks Retina's ass.

Which one is Really the better one? Specs-wise I guess...

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Can't tell, haven't seen both in front of me in any conditions to make a judgement.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

As with every competing technology, I'm sure they both have strengths and weaknesses that keep either from being "better" than the other.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

OLED is inherently weak under the sun, we need to wait till the reviews are out to see how well iPhone4 fairs.

5. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

There's only one way to find out...... :)

Attached Files:

6. euphrus macrumors member

right now i think +IPS is better because it provides better resolution, however in the future the better choice would be OLED because higher resolutions will be available and battery life can be conserved

7. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Having seen the Incredible next to an iPhone 4 screen... iPhone 4 is far and away superior. The colors on the AMOLED screens is so ridiculously saturated... Kobe Bryant looked orange on ESPN.com.

8. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

If Kobe looked orange, then what does A-Rod look like?

Here's an extreme close-up on the iPhone 4's screen. (56K and possible DSL warning)

9. Kawininja619 macrumors member

10. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha sure looks like it.

11. The Phazer macrumors 68030

They're good at different things. OLED is great for contrast, and good for battery life *as long as lots of your screen is black most of the time*. If you have a white background it's power consumption leaps up.

IPS has a fairly consistent battery life, and much better performance in strong sunlight, and the pixel density on the new iPhone probably isn't possible on OLEDs yet.

OLEDs probably will be better eventually, but today I'd much rather have IPS personally. Your mileage may vary.

Phazer

12. calvy macrumors 65816

+1

The answer is that TODAY, and on June 24th, the best choice is IPS. Next year or a few years from now, that will most likely change.

13. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

FIGHT!!!! :D:D:D

14. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

About n1/desire samsung AMOLEDs:

http://blog.javia.org/nexus-one-display-and-subpixel-pattern/

http://www.displaymate.com/Nexus_One_ShootOut.htm

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news...exus-ones-screen-science-color-and-hacks.ars/

This:

[​IMG]

means discarding some information from my images.
    I don't like it.

So not only we're talking about 250ppi VS 320ppi, but those 250ppi of the typical 3,7" WVGA AMOLED are "false", less dense than a real WVGA LCD. (like the Droid)

Since apparently there is still no way to build AMOLEDs with high pixel density without using that TRICK (-33% subpixels), and since AMOLEDs still suck in the sun, and since colors are "WOW" but not very accurate, I prefer an excellent 320ppi IPS lcd.

Also, the tecnique used to fuse the LCD to the glass in the Retina Display gives you:
    - unprecedented clarity
    - things look like printed ON the screen and not UNDER a glass. (as reported by John Gruber)

ps: funny to see Sharp going QUATTRON and on the other hand SMD going TWO-on. SMD is just doing that to get higher densities at lower price. But at a price for quality. A true RGB subpixels IPS LCD is better. AMOLEDs are just better at BLACKS.

15. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a

16. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Looks like it's on the camera sensor to me, if it was on the iphone it would be blurred and out of focus, like the picture the bright spot it on.

17. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

OLED has better blacks and contrast, but i rather have a higher res screen..

BTW i hope alot of you realize that the "retina" display is pure marketing crap.
    its just a high res LCD nothing more.

18. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

plus IPS (first time on a mobile phone, and on a tablet i.e. the iPad)

plus "zero gap" lcd to glass fusion for extra clarity and making stuff popping out since the lcd is closer to the surface

(just to be accurate, I agree "retina" is a marketing name)

19. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

the lamination I'm more keen on for another reason, should be back to like first gen iphone, no dust under screen, ever.

20. The General macrumors 601

BTW i hope alot of you realize that the "super" car is purely marketing crap. its just a really fast car nothing more.

21. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

I agree with this, but it's not new. Motorcycle companies have been doing forever. Several models across several brands will have the same "new tech" and all will call it different names. I think it's an acronym fetish or something.

22. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

Ips is currently the best display tech. I can tell from personal experience that the oled screens suffer because of their strange sub pixel layout.
    Although samsung claims their resolution is not far off from the iPhone 4, it's actually nowhere close. Even at 800x480, the sub pixel layout makes it so that the actual resolution is much lower and it's very noticeable to the user.
    Also, besides the poor outdoor readability, the colors on oled are very unrealistic and not accurate at all. For something like iPhone where you are watching video and viewing pictures, you really want something with accurate color reproduction.
    The other benefit that people talk about with oled is the power consumption. But the truth is that oled is actually more power hungry than ips LCD in most cases. When the picture is not static, it actually used more power than an LCD. Also, when the picture is very bright with lots of white, etc., it also uses more power compared to LCD.

Just wanted to clear up some misconceptions.

23. Makaveli6103 macrumors 6502

I recently purchased a 23 inch dell IPS monitor and I cannot stress how much better the colors look compared to my Macbook Pro screen. I have not seen an OLED screen but this is for sure a huge improvement.

24. Orli155 macrumors newbie

Here are some pics of the iPhone screen magnified by a professional DSLR:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]