Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is the more agonizing wait?

• Announcement

Votes: 112 64.0%
  • Launch Day

Votes: 63 36.0%

• Total voters

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
Doubt we will get an answer to that question at the Keynote. I'd expect us to get told it's faster and have to wait for iFixIt to tear one apart to learn what is actually inside.

They usually talk about the processor.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
The wait for one. Then a dissapointing day of announcements. Some features missing, debats between here and android forums, then finding out I want the device.....only to find out that I ordered too late. Or the fact that I have to work on launch day (or before).

Depends, really. This would be my first iPad launch...so....

----------

Also, I look it like E3. First somes the ****** industry stuff. "Oh, our sales were this!". Then comes the processor! Then a slight demo. Then the juicy stuff. Then the wait for launch. I have a feeling the Wii U's launch will be similar to what I'm experiencing now.

adrianeitor92

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The announcement because before the keynote you don't know how the iPad will be
The days before the iPad launch wont be agonizing because you can watch the Apple iPad Ad and the keynote the times you want and you don't get bored

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The announcement because before the keynote you don't know how the iPad will be
The days before the iPad launch wont be agonizing because you can watch the Apple iPad Ad and the keynote the times you want and you don't get bored

I was thoroughly entertained by all the promo videos Apple put up last year for the iPad 2. Showcased all the different apps and there was that cute Smart Cover short.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
As much as I want to know what iPad 3 will offer, I'd say launch. IT-IS-DEATH waiting for your product to arrive. Obsessively checking tracking and freaking out because you think it won't arrive on time even though it does every time... that's with me, anyway.

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
As much as I want to know what iPad 3 will offer, I'd say launch. IT-IS-DEATH waiting for your product to arrive. Obsessively checking tracking and freaking out because you think it won't arrive on time even though it does every time... that's with me, anyway.
Ditto.

But for me it's waiting in line, or waiting to waiting in line. Getting there and seeing no one standing outside, thinking the coast is clear and then realize the line is inside. Waiting in the line and wondering if you came early enough to get your specific model, if they have the smart cover or accessories you want. The last 30 freaking minutes is downright torture.

Even after they've opened the store for launch, you still wonder if your money or card is good (knowing that full well it is), or if you brought enough. This apprehension even extends until after you've got the device - will it be as good as the last; will that same magic resonate with me; are all the specs like they say; did I just waste my money; does it get better than this?

All of the worries, questions, doubts, and anxieties are finally alleviated once you've acclimated yourself to the device that night and you realize that without a shadow of a doubt that yes, Apple has done it again, and everything is going to be alright.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
With the announcement of the iPad 3 looming just days away, do you consider that wait more agonizing and painstaking or the actual launch date?

I think I'll have to go with the launch date. Even if all of the speculations were true and Apple souped the iPad 3 up beyond our wildest expectations it's still just a tease. We can only see images and videos of others playing with it, while we still have to wait those extra weeks until we too can get our grubby little hands on it.

Neither, I'm not an obsessive fanboy that NEEDS to know what the next device brings. I buy what I need now and when I'm ready to upgrade I sell my old and buy new with a little cash extra on my end.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I voted announcement. The (fairly short?) time between announcement and launch just lets me get more excited about the concrete features Apple tells us about. Waiting for the confirmation or crushing denial of the actual specs is worse for me.
I live abroad so the launch date is almost certainly at least 2,5 weeks away, if not longer. I also have voted for the announcement.

I just want to know what the damn thing will feature. Does it have a retina display? Does it have better cameras? Is there some exciting, new App Store software (sometimes also available on older devices in the same week as the announcement) like iMovie? What about new build-in apps? Is there going to be LTE? Any other, surprise features?

If I know all this, than the launch date doesn't matter too much (unless it's like very late after the announcement).

In the meantime, between launch and announcement, I can watch all these hands-on videos, followed by great hands-on articles and experiences. And than, when the launch is near (and hands-on articles are getting less interesting), the real reviews will come in.

There's enough to read and there are enough facts between the announcement and launch... but everything we know before an announcement are just vague guesses from 'trusthworthy sources'.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Announcement.. the wait of the unknown is scary.

For the launch you will know what your are getting
What exactly could Apple get wrong that would make the product "undesirable"? Retina display is almost guaranteed and things like NFC, LTE or Price Drops are on peoples "want" list but it would be understandable if they didn't happen this gen so I think in the end the iPad announcement will be no surprises (with the AppleTV3 announcement being the big story).

I think for most people (especially around here) then we've made up our minds that we're getting the iPad 3 and it's a pretty safe gamble that it will be a solid product. So, while watching Apple pat itself on the back about huge sales figures or seeing dumbed down demos will be interesting, as a consumer then I'm more interested in actually having the product in hand and knowing that I won't be victim of resellers, inventory shortages or poorly scheduled launch times.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I voted announcement, but really for me it's more the ordering part. Waiting for the announcement sucks because we don't know for sure what's going on. Then when you find out when you can order, it sucks to fight through the rush to get that done. But after that part, it's smooth sailing. Just sit back and wait for your new iPad to arrive.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
Launch day by far. Because your having to plan your strategy for how you will get the iPad. The worst thing is having a well formed plan and then something totally not working out. Like thinking "I'll go at 4AM and wait 6 hours in line" and then you get there at 4AM and theres a huge line that is way larger than the amount of iPads available.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007

Haha, that's part of the fun I reckon! Aside from getting fruity with a new lady, big gadget purchases are one of the few things thing in adult life that are as exciting* as Xmas morning when you're a little kid, or other childhood stuff. I consider myself a fairly happy, positive guy but quite a bit of adult life is a boring, predictable drudge. It's great to get that big kid feeling that only new gadgets, consoles etc bring :)

*Ive no children yet, I know that'd probably exceed everything

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Launch day by far. Because your having to plan your strategy for how you will get the iPad. The worst thing is having a well formed plan and then something totally not working out. Like thinking "I'll go at 4AM and wait 6 hours in line" and then you get there at 4AM and theres a huge line that is way larger than the amount of iPads available.
Exactly. Last year was hell with the 5PM launch time, no preorders, resellers dominating inventory and 1per customer limitations. I don't mind waiting in line, but I waited in 4AM lines for 5days straight only to be told 15min before opening that "We only got 10 in" or "No Wifi, only Verizon" so the big moment of the announcement will be how they plan on deploying this to customers and if Apple will take advantage of their stellar "In-store reservation" system.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Has anyone wondered if the iPad 3 might NOT be a big launch day product?

With the iPhone then carrying a phone is as important as a wallet so its only a $200 investment and when your contract is up then you're pretty much holding out on upgrading until the new version is out so first day sales are huge.

But with the iPad then we're talking $500 minimum for a "non-essential" device that has already sold into the millions. Are these current iPad 2 owners really itching to drop $500 a year on upgrades or is it just us who get crazy like this?

I'm not downplaying the buzz because Im sure it will be highly publicized. But Im just not sure everyone will feel the "need" to upgrade and the lines might be worth the wait.

(BTW. I think that a quick turnaround from announcement (Wed) to release (Fri) would benefit Apple because the more time you give people to think it through the more people will realize their iPad 2 works just fine)

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
Has anyone wondered if the iPad 3 might NOT be a big launch day product?

With the iPhone then carrying a phone is as important as a wallet so its only a $200 investment and when your contract is up then you're pretty much holding out on upgrading until the new version is out so first day sales are huge.

But with the iPad then we're talking $500 minimum for a "non-essential" device that has already sold into the millions. Are these current iPad 2 owners really itching to drop $500 a year on upgrades or is it just us who get crazy like this?

I'm not downplaying the buzz because Im sure it will be highly publicized. But Im just not sure everyone will feel the "need" to upgrade and the lines might be worth the wait.

(BTW. I think that a quick turnaround from announcement (Wed) to release (Fri) would benefit Apple because the more time you give people to think it through the more people will realize their iPad 2 works just fine)

Why are people just now thinking about this?

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Why are people just now thinking about this?
Because historically Apple upgrades are purchased by people who don't 'need" them. :D

Looking back then the iPhone 3G -> 3S, iPhone 4 -> 4S and iPad 1 -> iPad 2 were small improvements yet the sales numbers showed that each launch day was bigger than the previous regardless of the economy or need for upgrade. So even though the jump from iPad 2 -> 3 might be bigger than the original iPad upgrade, Im just not sure how high the interest is for new features among regular people who can't tell the difference between VGA/5MP cameras, retina screens or LTE/3G speeds.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
Because historically Apple upgrades are purchased by people who don't 'need" them. :D

Looking back then the iPhone 3G -> 3S, iPhone 4 -> 4S and iPad 1 -> iPad 2 were small improvements yet the sales numbers showed that each launch day was bigger than the previous regardless of the economy or need for upgrade. So even though the jump from iPad 2 -> 3 might be bigger than the original iPad upgrade, Im just not sure how high the interest is for new features among regular people who can't tell the difference between VGA/5MP cameras, retina screens or LTE/3G speeds.

I politely disagree with you. Did you happen to go to stores on 4s launch day? There were plenty of iPhone 4s at most stores. You could just walk in and buy one. Ironically there were tons of people who preordered online and did not receive their 4s on release day but could walk into their local retailer and buy a 4s on the spot. There were people who were upset because their phone company had plenty in stock at the physical store but the online order was back ordered. Do a google search and you will see this.

Also, there are still TONS of people using iPhone 3g's. If you go walk around at a public place like a mall and look closely you can see people who still have them. I see it all the time in Memphis.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
I kind of like when people down vote my posts.

I've watched the original iPad transform into the iPad 2, and I still have not had incentive to buy one. It actually isn't even cool enough for me yet. Sure they'll be people that will buy it, but I'm just excited because there's the possibility that they might do something worthwhile.

4G, retina screen, that is not worthwhile. None of this is new.

Coffee87

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Oklahoma
Announcement. I already have an iPad 1 to hold me over. I just can't wait to hear/see what the new iPad will have! :)

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Announcement. I usually have the last generation ipad to keep me company, and that goes to the wife when the new one comes out and her old one goes on craigslist. I usually end up upgrading every year for half price.

I've learned the hard way not to stand in line like a dufus. I'll just get up at 4am and do the preorder thing and it gets here when it gets here.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I politely disagree with you. Did you happen to go to stores on 4s launch day? There were plenty of iPhone 4s at most stores. You could just walk in and buy one. Ironically there were tons of people who preordered online and did not receive their 4s on release day but could walk into their local retailer and buy a 4s on the spot.
I got mine at launch in Vegas and it definitely was a sellout but maybe that's because it's a tourist town. Maybe you benefitted by region because out in SoCal then we had sellouts for days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.