Which Java Version in Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bazzz, Oct 24, 2007.

1. bazzz macrumors newbie

Could someone who is already running Leopard final (and honestly, I don't care from which source your received it) type a quick "java -version" in the terminal and post the printed lines here in the thread...

That would put an end to the speculation in hundreds of java developer blogs.

Thank you!

2. NotChemist macrumors newbie

A friend of a friend told me that the output looked something like this:
    Code:
    java version "1.5.0_13"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_13-b05-237)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_13-119, mixed mode)

3. bazzz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it does. Thank you, although "java -version" gives you additional information (e.g. the SAME build of Java5 that you get with tiger?).

This sucks, just in my company we would have to switch ~30 developers from OSX back to Win/Linux if there's no perspective regarding Java6... Everyone likes OSX, but without a recent Java6 build this platform is no option anymore.

Remember: Java is - by far - (see Jobs at Monster.com, Programming Languages Index, etc.) the most used programming language worldwide. And this generally refers to server-side applications (which you develop and test on your local laptop sometimes), before anyone throws in comments about shabby Java fat client guis.

4. bazzz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. At least this is a more recent build than in tiger, doesn't look 64bit though.

5. dr_lha macrumors 68000

I'm sure Java 6 will be an upgrade made available to Leopard Users. Tiger didn't ship with Java 5 after all.

6. bazzz thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right... at least I hope so. But it's available on Solaris/Win/Linux for more than a year now... Apple should really hurry up or risk losing developers.

7. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Some poking around the internet reveals that Apple already has a "Developer Preview" of Java 6 out, although I can't find it on the ADC site (but I don't have anything but the free membership). This would suggest to me that Java 6 is forthcoming from Apple.

8. bazzz thread starter macrumors newbie

I know, but that version was not 64bit and based on a very old build from sun (you could say alpha build). It had not been updated for a year or so on ADC.