Which Keyboard Case Did You Choose?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by JoePa2624, Feb 28, 2016.

1. JoePa2624 macrumors regular

JoePa2624

So the iPad Pro has been out for a few months now and I wanted to see how the people that bought the Smart Keyboard or Logitech Create were holding up?

I also wanted to see which keyboard case everyone was waiting for? I'm intrigued by the Brydge, but I wish it used the Smart Connector.

2. captrlp macrumors newbie

I tried both, Logitech and ASK. I ended up returning the Logitech. The ASK has held up very well and I have not regretted my decision.
    In regards to the Brydge, you may want to look at my review and also customer service issue. While great construction, the hinge system is flawed, in that you will not be able to access the Control Center or any app function that is placed at the bottom of the screen.

3. batristain macrumors 6502

batristain

I ended up with the ASK and got a cheaper shell case for the back from Amazon by ESR (I'm just not a fan of the two colors available now for the Apple case - not enough to pay 70 bucks for one). I didn't want a lot of bulk. I have a MBA so if I want to lug something around the size of my MBA I would just carry that around instead. I can type on the keyboard fine - I'm actually using it now. The Logitech Create case looks nice and if you plan to use the keyboard a lot and you don't have a MBA I can understand choosing that case but for me the ASK was the better choice. I play a lot of games and read on my iPad - not too much typing although that might now change.

Cheers,
    Bobbie

4. eddiexhart macrumors regular

eddiexhart

What is this ASK keyboard that you're talking about? I did a good search but I still can't find anything about it.

5. bulbousnub macrumors 6502

I think he means the Apple Smart Keyboard

6. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I got the ASK, the Logitech is just too bulky and heavy for me. I fitted the back of the Pro with a clear skin. I always use skins though, I think they keep the looks of the device clean and protect against scratches, which is all I'm really bothered about. But as a big bonus particularly for the Pro, they don't add any weight, well ok, there's what 2 grams maybe? nothing you'd notice and I would.

7. Max Your Macs macrumors member

I bounced back and forth the between the Logitech Create and the ASK but found both of them lacking to make the 'right' experience. The Logitech was just too much of a hassle to use in tablet mode and I hated the way the metal rubbed against the back of the IPP when folded down. Plus, it wasn't exactly stable due to the flexing at the folding/hinge side. Just seems like an 'oh yeah, it can do this' half baked feature.

The ASK was just too little for too much money. No iOS keys. No backlight. No rear cover. Weird feel to the fabric. And for $169? No thanks.

A friend recommended the Zagg SlimBook but when I first looked at it, it seemed to be as bulky at the Logitech. I decided to give it a try anyway and all I can say is WOW! Yeah, it has some heft to it but the thought that went into it is far beyond the other two. The back shell magnetically pops into the hinge to make for a very MacBook-like experience and when you want to use it as a tablet, just pop it out and go. Oh yeah, the back will still be protected too. Or reverse it and pop it back into the hinge and fold closed for book mode to have a stable, secure drawing or writing surface.

I seldom get as excited about accessories but Zagg knocked it out of the park with this one. Yes it is Bluetooth but that's no issue. With an advertised 2 year battery life you won't be charging it everyday and if you have the Apple Pencil, as I do, you need to have Bluetooth on anyway. There is zero lag and no typing issues, unlike the Logitech forums which are full of complaints. And the price is less than either of those others too - only $139. If you're on the fence, do yourself a favor and give it a try.

8. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

My sentiments exactly. I also have the Slim Book (admittedly, not the best choice in name considering its heft) but it hit all of my needs. When docked, it resembles a MBP--my wife reached for the trackpad before realizing it was my iPP. ;) Yes, the keyboard portion is heavy but that heft affords a rock solid typing experience---infinitely adjustable viewing angles, full set of function keys, adjustable backlighting (color and brightness), pairing with multiple BT devices (I have mine set up for my phone and Apple TV as well) and ridiculous battery life. I'd have loved it to use the smart connector as well but it connects via BT before the iPP is fully open and has no noticeable lag.

And like Max mentioned, the iPP pops out in an instant. I also love flipping it around so that the keyboard serves as a stand, again offering whatever viewing angle you prefer.

If portability is of utmost priority, I think you won't find better than the ASK but you'll also be losing so much functionality.

9. eddiexhart macrumors regular

eddiexhart

OH! Lol I'm so stupid. Well I've been thinking about the Logitech create but deny that thing is heavy! I'm curious to see the BrydgePro that's coming out in May.

10. Max Your Macs macrumors member

Excellent to point out all the other features of the Zagg. I'm telling you, after trying both of the others - and for extended periods of time - the Zagg beats them by a mile. I agree with tbayrgs that the weight of the base makes for a super solid typing surface and the keys are perfect. I am already to the weight after only two days so it's no big deal to make your IPP such a much more useful, versatile device. Another thing I didn't like about the Logitech Create was the way the metal palm rest rubbed the screen and also the plastic frame seemed to 'pinch' the IPP to hold it in place. Seems like a cracked screen waiting to happen. The Zagg doesn't put undue stress on any part of the iPad this way. I was thinking about the Brydge too but after hearing about their dismal support and also the fact that it has no back protection, and again it costs $50 more with basically similar features as the Zagg, why bother? I'll have this Zagg as long as I have my IPP and that will be for quite a long time!

11. JoePa2624 thread starter macrumors regular

JoePa2624

I really like the Zagg, but no storage for the Pencil makes it a tough sell. Otherwise I'm intrigued.

12. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Do any of them offer storage for the Pencil?

The sleeve I use has a slot for my Pencil, otherwise I have any number of available spots to use in my messenger bag.

13. auero macrumors 65816

I just picked up an Apple Smart Keyboard. I avoided the Logitech Create because of the weight and I read some complaints about it scratching the screen. The only thing I'm sour about with Apple's Smart Keyboard is that it doesn't cover the back. The silicone back cover and keyboard really add up.

14. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I use the OEM Apple Smart Keyboard and Pencil.

It's decent but nothing to get excited about. A reflection of the current rather mediocre Apple quality... while it could certainly have better build quality, it serves the purpose even if it was rather overpriced for what it is.

15. WickedPorter macrumors regular

WickedPorter

+1 on the Zagg Slim Book keyboard case. Incredibly versatile option. It does add quite a bit of weight, but the weight is necessary and mostly nullified by the ability to easily remove the iPad from the base.

I have the ASK ... there are situations where shedding some weight will be helpful, like when I'm required to carry the iPP + MacBook Pro in my messenger bag on my shoulder for lengthy periods of time (conferences, mostly). Will probably keep the ASK for these situations. Otherwise, it's Zagg all the way.

16. JoePa2624 thread starter macrumors regular

JoePa2624

None offer Pencil storage that I'm aware of, but I have the ASK and don't really want to invest in another keyboard until they integrate Pencil storage.

I know the Zagg adds a fair amount of weight, but when you remove the iPad from the keyboard base, there should be minimal weight gain so it's not a deal breaker.

17. Macaddict16 macrumors 6502

I currently have an iPad Air 2 with the Belkin QODE Ultimate Pro Keyboard Case and it is amazing. I plan on getting the iPad Pro 2 or whatever it is called when it is released and I would love to have one of these available when that comes out. Best Keyboard Case I have found on the market.

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F5L176/

Macaddict16

18. planelydesigned macrumors newbie

I picked up the Apple Smart Keyboard yesterday. For $169, I'm not too impressed by the quality. It's a really useful accessory and makes the system way better, but it feels really cheap for the cost.

Though, I haven't heard great things about the CREATE, so I may just end up sticking with it.

19. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

What's your favorite skin for the back? I have a white skin on my iPad Air and have really liked the look. I ordered the Pro in rose gold so I'd prefer a matte clear. I'm just leery of how tough it will be to install. I tried a couple on my iPhone and ended up taking them off as I was just too picky and couldn't get it perfect. Please share you recommendation for a good skin.

20. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I've used, on various devices. Zagg, Skinomi, Bodyguardz and ScreenKnight. I've never really found any tangible differences in the material used, only how they fit.

I'm currently using a ScreenKnight as I've had good experiences with their products in the past and it fits really well on the iPad Pro.

For fitting them though, ignore the instructions completely and get yourself a spray bottle (either clean it thoroughly or use a new one) and fill it with water and just two very small drops of liquid soap. Use this to spray just the side of the protector that will be against the iPads back (remember to give your fingers a good soaking first as well.)

I find this method lets you use less water so it dries a little quicker and gives you the benefit of being able to lift the protector slightly and give a little extra spray to any bits you might need to adjust while fitting it. While still allowing you to apply enough to let the protector slide around during fitting.

A couple of other tips for a good finish are, once you have it in place, squeeze out the excess water, I use a credit card and work from the center out. But don't flatten down the edges yet.

Leave them to air dry slightly for 5 or 10 minutes before you flatten them down, it makes them stick into position better. And for the corners, to get a nice neat finish that adheres well, flatten the corner piece into position. Then, holding the iPad up, gently press the corner into the softest part of your palm, near your thumb. Because that envelopes the entire corner when you press it in to your palm, you get a nice smoothly finished off corner.

Then the really hard part, leave it alone for four or five hours before switching your iPad back on. The only exception being to keep an eye on the edges and corners and gently flatten them, or press the corners gently into your palm again if it looks like any aren't staying in place.

21. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Thanks so much for the tips. I got a beautiful installation on my iPhone 6S plus but it was just a tad cloudy underneath even a day post installation so I ended up removing it.

22. glindon macrumors regular

glindon

I got the Apple Smart Keyboard and haven't regretted it. I don't understand why posts in this thread say it feels cheap. Mine still looks new. It's easy to clean with a damp rag. I do miss the function row from time to time and I hope they make a global shortcut for volume and escape key. Perhaps they'll add it to the smart bar at the bottom of the screen. Right now it's redundant to have undo and paste on the smart bar when I already can use the keyboard for those shortcuts. Some apps put custom buttons on the smart bar, and in that context, your fingers are much closer to them because the function row is gone.

The ability to "tear" off the keyboard when I want to just use as a tablet makes it a simpler choice over the Logitech. The bulk of the Logitech and the weight is too much.

I've always been a Smart Cover user since iPad 2 and while I've used many Bluetooth keyboards, having to lug two things meant I almost never took the keyboard with me. Now I always have a keyboard with me, conveniently attached to my Smart Cover.

23. Azl macrumors member

I had the Logitech Create but returned it for various reasons.

Now waiting for Apple to release a "usable" Smart Keyboard :(
    (read: a Smart Keyboard with german Layout)

All other options are just as bulky as the Create.

24. sigomez macrumors regular

Why didn't you like the Create? I currently have it but debating if I want to sell it and get the apple keyboard instead.

25. Azl macrumors member

It was to bulky for me, nearly doubling the weight. Difficult to remove completely.
    But my main issue was - with little pressure it was rubbing on the ipad pro screen.
    Leaving marks on my display.
    Thought they were scratches but could remove them with a microfiber and patience.
    It seems to be a common issue, scratches on the back - or worse, on the screen.
    See this thread:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7379484?start=0&tstart=0
    Typing however was good. But thats about all I liked about it.