Which keyboard do you run

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bigsnowdog, Dec 6, 2010.

?

What keyboard are you using?

1. I am using the original Mac keyboard.

39 vote(s)
    79.6%
  2. I am using an aftermarket keyboard.

10 vote(s)
    20.4%
  1. bigsnowdog macrumors member

I am receiving my new Mac Pro this week. In PC world I typically used a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard. Presently I am on an original keyboard of the sort that accompanied this G4 tower.

I really don't like these new keyboards that come with the current Macs. Too thin, white buttons, wrong feel. I have spent some hours researching keyboards. I would like to have a correct Mac keyset, if possible.

What are you using, the original keyboard, or have you replaced it? If you have replaced it, what did you buy, do you like it, and why?

I would try one of the Tactile Pro keyboards found here, but hate the fact that it is white. It is hard enough to keep keyboards clean without them being white.

I also wonder about wireless. It seems another thing to go wrong, though I may try a wireless mouse.

Same question, what are you doing for a mouse?

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I use the bluetooth apple keyboard and magic mouse. When I switched it took a bit to get used to, but I actually prefer it to my old "ergonomic" keyboard these days. The angle and size of the apple keyboard seems very comfortable to me.

I could just be weird though...

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I love my original Mac keyboard, the aluminum with white keys. I wish I could use it on my Win7 office PC. Best keyboard I've ever used. It's simple, small and lightweight. It doesn't have tons of buttons everywhere that I will never use.

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Before the current models I used a Logitech ergonomic keyboard + MX700 mouse. Prior to that it was MS Ergo keyboard + logitech mouse.

However, the new aluminium keyboards and the magic mouse have won me over.

My day to day keyboard is Apple's USB + keypad model. I've used it daily for 3 years and it's still in a respectable state. If anything it's cleaner looking than some of the black keyboards I've owned would have been (especially given that I used to kill a keyboard a year on average).

Give the Apple keyboard and mouse a try for a while - you might surprise yourself.

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Normally, I use a wireless Apple Pro Keyboard but when I really need to type, I move it out of the way and slide out my Tactile Pro.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I really like it a lot.

7. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Logitech Wave Pro keyboard and Performance MX mouse

8. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Original Apple White Keyboard and Apple Pro mouse on my FW800 PowerMac.

9. willieva macrumors 6502

Clunky old wired dell keyboard and magic mouse. Wired is nice for the ease of access to usb ports, that might not be as much of an issue for you since the mac pro has usb in the front. The magic mouse is really nice to use, the added functionality of swiping is handy. It has replaced my numerous logitech mx mice. If you do a lot of cutting and pasting, and also enable right click, the magic mouse is much nicer to use than the magic trackpad.

10. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Logitech wired illuminated keyboard and Logitech MX Revolution mouse at home. On my Mac Pro at work, I have the Apple Wired aluminum keyboard with the Logitech Performance MX mouse.

Edit: I also have a Logitech DiNovo Edge keyboard for my HTPC.

11. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Current generation Apple Bluetooth keyboard, Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad.

The Magic Trackpad, I have to say, is awesome. :)

12. jazzfish macrumors newbie

For a keyboard I just ordered a Unicomp SpaceSaver because I'm a fan of the IBM Model M from way back; will see how it does with the MBP.

For a mouse I use a Microsoft Trackball Explorer, but they're hard to find these days.

13. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Love the Apple wireless keyboard-- best and best-looking keyboard I've ever used.

14. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Is that the A1016 bluetooth one? Mine's acting up so I have to replace it

The logitech wired illuminated keyboard you mentioned - is that one in this slickdeals thread: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=100363&t=2632331 ? If so what are your thoughts on it? I want to get a new keyboard to use at home w/ my Mac Mini and give my parents my old wired mac keyboard to replace their broken A1016

The current generation apple bluetooth keyboard is the real skinny one with no numbers keys right? I'm not familiar w/ what the Magic Trackpad is

15. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

16. JaguarGod macrumors 6502

JaguarGod

If you have the money to burn (about $150) for a keyboard and really like to type a lot, the Matias Tactile Pro is an absolutely fantastic keyboard with a superb feel. Your typing may even get faster. I have been using this keyboard and have shrugged off everything else since then. I really like the "clicky" feedback.

But it is a very loud keyboard and is meant for those who really long for the old Apple Extended keyboards of the past. If you prefer quiet keyboards, don't bother!

Matias Tactile Pro Information

17. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Huh, I somehow missed this one. Sorry about that. Anyway, I love the Logitech illuminated keyboard. I use my setup with the lights off quite often, so it comes in handy. Honestly, my Dell monitor is so bright (2209WA), I really don't need the illumination. I love the feel and feedback of the keyboard and it feels pretty good.

18. ideonode macrumors member

I finally took the plunge and bought the Matias Tactile Pro. I know it's expensive, but I've heard a few good things about it, and your post was thing that finally swung it. :D

19. JaguarGod macrumors 6502

JaguarGod

I think you will love it when you get used to it. It is a phenomenal keyboard for typing and feels great. The keyswitch tech feels as good as I have ever used and the "clicky" sound and feedback work very well together. I wish a little more would have gone into the look of the keyboard as it is not the prettiest one out there as it is a little plain, but it does not look bad either. Big and still stylish for a larger keyboard. But for typing, it just works perfect. Post your feelings when you have a chance to put it through it's paces.:cool:

20. wizwith macrumors newbie

Apple Extended Keyboard II with Compucable ADB to USB adapter.

21. jasnb macrumors newbie

I run the old white 'egro' keyboard. Would love to upgrade to the new wireless model but the missing numeric keypad is a bummer.

22. magilla macrumors regular

Where'd you find your Compucable ADB-USB adapter? I've used an AE Keyboard II forever with my old PM8600 and love the feel/response. On my "new" iMacs I picked up a couple of Apple's clear "Pro" keyboards (the ones with the translucent gray keycaps) from a local Goodwill recycled computer center for about $8 each. Very close to the AEK II but not quite the "clickety-clack" feel and response of the AKE II but still very good.

23. handheldgames macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

I use a ps/2 model m extended at home with my Mac Pro. At work on the rMBP, I use a smaller ps/2 model M without the numeric pad. Both use an iogear ps/2 to USB adapter. I've always looked for a step up to 1986 technology, but nothing comes close.