Which Mac for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by van2010rulz, Nov 9, 2010.

  1. van2010rulz macrumors regular

    Jun 13, 2010
    Hey Everybody.

    I was looking at a Macbook Pro 4 months ago and decided that i would not need it. My current Pc was going to last a few more months, so i thought i would be ok. That computer, is now slow as hell. Time to upgrade. I was going to wait a few more months to see if Apple is going to release an update. Yes i have read the threads on it. I can wait, but I want to know my options now.

    My current needs are: Web browsing, Youtube, MSN, Skype, email, and Office. On the Mac i would probably use the iLife suite. Not a lot, but to throw together school projects and slide shows for family.

    When i was looking at the Macbook Pro line it came down to the Base 13' with the Intel C2D processor. Or the Base 15' refurb with the Intel Core i5.

    Now I have two reasons for these. Screen Size and the Processor. If you were to give me a PC with a C2D and asked me to use Windows, i would laugh. It would be too slow for me. I have read that OSX runs a lot leaner than Windows. I believe that. Will the C2D handle my needs for the next 3-5 years? I'm not so sure about that one.

    The second reason was screen size. The 13' sounds a bit small. I have an external monitor that i can use. I think it is about 20-24 inches in size. The 15' would be the perfect size for me, but i can live with the 13'. I have tried the 13' before, i found it a bit small. Nothing i could not handle with a external monitor. I did own a laptop with a 15' screen before and found it to be great. The MBP will not leave the house often. It will be used around the house. I don't want an iMac, i want to be able to use it around the house.

    Is there anything else that can justify the extra $500 for the 15'. I know that the Graphics Card is the model up from the Nvidia 320m. I'm not a heavy gamer. Probably would like to try some. I don't know what, but not next gen games needing high end graphics cards.

    - Van2010rulz
  2. r0k macrumors 68040


    Mar 3, 2008
    I have a 13 in MacBook with an external monitor. It works fine. Smaller and more portable is better in my book. But note there are ports missing on smaller macs. No FireWire. No separate audio in and out. Fewer USB. If these don't bother you, go for the smaller machine. Yes you are right about osx. It runs lean compared to windows. Will a Mac last you xxx years? Chances are the answer is yes unless your needs change.
  3. van2010rulz thread starter macrumors regular

    Jun 13, 2010
    Thanks for the response. I don't see my needs changing in the next 5 years. I also have no plans to run Windows through Boot Camp. I have no need. I love all of the programs on the Mac. They seem a lot more handy. iLife suite looks great.
  4. chaosbunny macrumors 68000


    Mar 11, 2005
    down to earth, far away from any clouds
    If you can wait, like you said, wait for the next update and then get the current 15" i5 as a refurb or pick up a leftover at a store. That way you could get the machine you want for the price you want.

    I bought a leftover high end 15" mbp in 2008 for € 1350 for example. :)
  5. van2010rulz thread starter macrumors regular

    Jun 13, 2010
    We will have to see. I want to get it before the new year. I don't know how long i can wait for an update. I will wait till the end of December and see what will happen. Today i went to Best Buy and looked at the 13' and 15' side by side. I think i am comfortable with the 13' screen. The only thing i can' seem to get over is the Processor. Will the C2D suit my needs.
  6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603


    Mar 22, 2010
    Yes with plenty of processing power to spare.
  7. shyam09 macrumors 68020


    Oct 31, 2010
    if you need it buy it.. if you can wait- wait.

    now keep this in mind. intel will be releasing these new chips in Q1 of 2011. this means that after apple gets a hold of these chips and they find a new way to implement these chips and Nvidia graphics onto the MBP they will start manufacturing it and then releasing it. chances are that they will release it in Feb? (their event thingy)
    another chance is once gain on Intel and their release date so it could be April too.

    another option of course is they will wait till the summer when they release OSX Lion and just included Lion on the computer instead of supplying a disk and all.

    so these are 3 options-- who knows when they will release it, but im pretty sure they will not release one right now.
  8. shyam09 macrumors 68020


    Oct 31, 2010
    me personally...
    im gonna buy the MBP now.. its not use waiting for it.. i figure technology is gonna forever change so why wait?
    im gonna buy 2 MBP's and an Ipad..and thats all.. :D
  9. redkamel macrumors 6502

    Aug 29, 2006
    The C2D works fine, and will for your needs, but if you want it to last 3-5 years...I'd go with one of i series processors. You never know...

    If you do the math it ends up being a few dollars a month over 3-5 years.
  10. alust2013 macrumors 601


    Feb 6, 2010
    On the fence
    It will very very easily suit your needs. The new processors are being marketed as so much faster, where you will only notice a difference with very heavy use, and it's only 10-20% or so between the base i5 and the C2D. Don't get sucked into the have to have the very latest deal. Sure it would be great to have a newer processor, but for your needs, you wouldn't see any difference.
  11. shyam09 macrumors 68020


    Oct 31, 2010
    going off what alust2013 is saying:
    technology is gonna keep changing man. there is not need to have the latest and the greatest.. be happy with what you have or will have in this case :p

    sure hte new processors are faster, sure they are NEW, but really, will it make that big of a difference.

    here is my advice and what i plan to do:
    im buying the MBP now, and then in a couple of years (next year, year after most likely) im gonna invest some $$$ in a newer SSD and bump up my RAM from 4GB to 8GB .. my computer will be the 2010 model yes, but maybe, just maybe it will perform much better than the latest and greatest apple gives us?:p

    who knows.. it will also be a cheaper route too :p
  12. van2010rulz thread starter macrumors regular

    Jun 13, 2010
    What all of you are saying is true. The only reason i am asking is because if i were to use a Windows C2D computer it would be slow. I just wanted to know if these issues will arise when using a Mac. I'm not planning to Boot Camp off of the Mac if i get one soon. I don' have any programs that i need to use. I just don't want to pay $1249 for a computer that will be slow.

    That is very true. $500 bucks can go along way later on. Ram will be on the upgrade list in a few years. Will probably put together a large capacity External HD. iTunes, documents all of that type of stuff.

    Thanks Everybody

Share This Page