Which Mac For Music?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by RobMccormack, Jul 10, 2007.

1. RobMccormack macrumors newbie

Yo People.

Hope Your All Good!

Right, Im 15 And Produce Music Using Reason And Cubase On My Laptop At The Mo (Acer Aspire 5102Wlmi)

The Thing Is, Ive Saved Like 800 For A Mac And Ive Decided On Either A IMac Or A Mac Mini. And I Dont Know Which To Get. Unless There Is Another Mac For That Money That Is Better?

Both Seem Good But If Anyone Could Help With Any Tips On Which Is Better For Music Production, Or Which Is More Compatible With Hardware, Or Generally Whats Best For My Money And Any Pros And Cons On Each One.

I Would Be Very Grateful As I Dont Want To Make The Wrong Decision.

Thanks

Edit: Ive Been Told On Another Forum The Imac Would Be Best For The Money. Anyones Oppinions?

2. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

they will both do the job. i'd say imac jsut because it has more processing power. wait for santa rosa. this way you have more options to expand your memory.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

iMac without a doubt.
    The mini is hobbled by its slower laptop sized hard drive - and you'd have to buy a screen, keyboard and mouse.

Whatever you buy, budget as soon as you can for 2 Gb RAM minimum and an external Firewire hard drive for putting your audio data on, keeping it separate from the boot hard drive.

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

iMac, definitely.

Don't go for the entry level one though, with the integrated GMA950 graphics. They're really not that good...

5. RobMccormack thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks For The Advice So Far, Its Appreciated Alot.

Ive Worked Fingers To The Bone For This Money And I Dont Want To Make The Wrong Decision.

6. RobMccormack thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh And Also...

Santa Rosa iMac? :confused:

Can Someone Enlighten Me.

7. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Off-topic, sorry.. but do you intentionally capitalize every word or is it some program or something that just does it automatically?

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think he's speaking entirely in song titles.

9. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Hey, at least he does know capitalization, unlike others in here. ;)

If you can afford it, go for the iMac.

10. RobMccormack thread starter macrumors newbie

11. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

perhaps i should have said "brushed aluminum iMac". unually the iMac is a MacBook Pro spec'd machine put into a pretty desktop enclosure. Assuming that the next iteration of the iMac will have an updated chipset, it would most likely be the santa rosa chipset. hence: santa rosa imac. but no one is really calling it that. my bad. :)

12. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

2.5" HDDs (like the one in the MacMini) don't have the same read/write capabilities of 3.5" HDDs (like the one in the iMac), so if you're recording multiple tracks, you'll love the extra performace of the iMac's HDD.

I think its unanimous that an iMac would be best in your situation. As for buying advice, definitely wait at least until the next revision. :)

13. RobMccormack thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah Thanks For The Help.

Im Looking To Hold Out For The New/Upgraded IMac, But Not Sure If It Will Be Released Here In The U.K The Same Time As The U.S...

14. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Ok cool, just curious. As for the actual question. I'd second what everyone else here is saying - go with the iMac - the current one or holding out for the next revision.

15. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

To add my 2 cents - if you want to do any recording near that Mac - avoid the iMac. I recorded my podcast ( http://www.maccast.de ) for 2 years using a iMac and you can clearly hear the sound and noise from the always turning fans. If you use it just for mixing its great.

16. RobMccormack thread starter macrumors newbie

I Doubt I Will Ever Use It For Recording, Mainly Just Production.

17. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

That's why you use a firewire audio interface...

18. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Don't jump the gun and spend your money too soon.

You want a complete working system with enough RAM and storage
    to accomplish something.

I would save until you have enough for the latest mid level model, 2 GB RAM
    minimum and the most satorage you can afford.

You'll also need an interface if you plan to record or produce analog sounds like vocals acoustic guitar or whatever.

So honestly, I would consider you to be about half way there on your savings
    for a great system

19. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

???? and how does that help ???? Of course I use a Firewire Audio Interface. :confused::confused:

20. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

With an external mic? You shouldn't get any fan noise at all, the iMac is near silent.

21. nbusse macrumors member

nbusse

imac, firewire

I also have recorded on my imac, it's always sounded pretty quiet to my ears. the thing that's got me crazy now is the OS upgrade vs. firewire audio interface (see seperate post...)

22. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Aha - no it isn't. Somehow depends on your mic but if you use a condensor mic with a large diaphragm (or small) you will clearly hear the noise on the recording. Now it depends if that is acceptable to you or not.

If you want to get an idea how loud the iMac is have a look at my podcast. The episode called Macmeeting - I think three episodes ago - has four guys talking. And one was using an iMac w/ external Mic via Firewire. I guess you should be able to clearly tell which one that was (his name is Simon).

Cheers
    LaForge

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i find that crap unacceptable.

in your situation, did you try playing with the placement of the mic, keeping the mac in one of the nulls? you can also use some baffling between the mic and the mac, or on reflective surfaces.

best bet, though, is to keep the two in different rooms.

24. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Sure - you can always try to keep the noise down. Recording in two different rooms like a soundstudio would be best. You might have to deal with some long cables but that should be possible to handle.

But it doesn't help the original poster because he will not use his Mac for recording. Then the iMac is perfect anyway.

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i was trying to help you!

long cables are no big deal. you're obviously unhappy with the quality of your recordings, and separation/isolation seem to me like an easy win.