Which Mac Mini is right for me?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by TazExprez, Sep 18, 2011.

1. TazExprez macrumors member

Feb 4, 2010
    New York
    I currently have a 2010 MBP 13 and a 2010 MB that I use at home. I really like these machines and would like to start using a Mac Mini at my shop. I have relatively minor needs, but have to have Windows 7. I have to run an Internet Explorer plugin found here:http://idatalink.com/downloads/weblink-drivers-latest/. I also need to run this program: http://www.xpresskit.com/XpressVIP4.aspx. These are very resource light applications, but I need to run Windows in order for them to work. I sometimes run Handbrake, but that is not a priority. Btw, I want to run Windows 7 inside of Parallels or Fusion.

I ordered a refurbished 2010 2.4 Mac Mini and received it on this Saturday, but I have not used it. I was reading some Geekbench results and noticed how much better the 2011 Mac Minis did. I am thinking of sending the 2010 back and ordering a 2011.

I wonder if I should keep the 2010, or if I should get one of the new ones. If I get one of the new ones, would the 2.3 be good for me? Thanks a lot for any help.
  2. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Aug 27, 2011
    Well the 2010 Mac mini used the Intel core 2 duo if I'm not mistaken. The 2011 models have the Intel Sandybridge technology which is several years newer then the core 2 duo. Even an i3 is still leaps ahead of the C2D.
  3. philipma1957 macrumors 603

Apr 13, 2010
    Howell, New Jersey
    the 2.3 mini with 8gb ram will run lion really fast compared to any older mac mini. when you talk about windows 7 inside of fusion and then another program inside that you need do a lot of research. I have been doing some dj mac builds turned out I must use snow leopard to get reagto sl2 to run. it took me about 10 days to get a snow leopard disc for the mbp. I am good now but I was stressed over this. I know that the 2011 mac mini does not run snow leopard well.

I know that it has some issues with windows 7 and some programs. keep looking for some one that runs your setup with

LION- fusion- windows 7 - (your software) or

LION -parallels - windows 7 - ( your software)

you can't run snow L on the new mini so you need to find a user that does exactly what you do to be sure.