Which Mac to buy????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Albert96, May 29, 2010.

1. Albert96 macrumors newbie

So I'm new to these forums. School is almost over but I'm thinking about next year. I am going in to high school. I'm wondering which Mac I should buy. I'm deciding if I should buy a 21.5 iMac or a 13" Macbook Pro. I don't know if I'll need the portability of a laptop. I would appreciate any suggestions.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Does your school even allow you to use a laptop in class? If not, don't bother buying one.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Lsptops and high schools generally don't mix. Go for the iMac.

4. Albert96 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh it's because I'm thinking about times when I have a project with partner or in a group? Would the iMac still be a good idea?

5. EasyJW macrumors member

definately the iMac you won't regret the extra power [​IMG]

6. Albert96 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. opera57 macrumors 6502

Yeah the iMac is definitely the better choice. Especially the fact it has a much bigger screen (and of course faster) will make it much more of a pleasure to use! [​IMG]

8. ThinkBook macrumors newbie

Or maybe not...

Well, that's one side of the argument. I have both an iMac and a MacBook Pro. The iMac sits on the desk by itself most of the time, well the MacBook actually gets used. Unless you're planning on doing things like serious video editing, for example, which is probably better done on the iMac (but NB the caveat "serious"), there is pretty much nothing you can do an iMac that you can't do on the laptop equally as well -- but the reverse is simply not true. The flexibility of a laptop just can't be beat. Yes, an iMac screen is bigger, yes, it's faster, but unless you're doing really graphic- or processor-intensive operations, that's a distinction with no difference. Think of how and where you might actually want to use your new computer before you come to a final decision.

9. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

wait until you are old enough to have a job to get a mac. dont make your parents buy something that expensive when you probably will only be surfing the web and playing games, seeing as you'll just be entering high school

10. Albert96 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, my parents aren't buying this for me. I got a job from my uncle for the summer and am gonna save up. I was actually planning to do a little video and photo editing. Will the MacBook Pro be enough?

11. Laughingman13 macrumors member

Showing off a Macbook pro in Highschool is not a good idea.

People might get some impressions to steal from you.

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The iMac is the much better computer - except that you can use the MacBook on the sofa, in the garden, throw it in your suitcase and so on. So that is something you need to decide.

However, if you keep the box and the stuff inside, it will take you about five minutes to pack the iMac into the box and unpack it again at a different place, so it is not portable, but definitely transportable if you need to you use at some other place.

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

....congrats on having a goal and a job to work towards!

If you've never used a mac before you might want to check out the refurb store and get the whitebook they have in stock for $759 right now, the 2.26Ghz model (that just switched to the 2.4Ghz since you won't notice that CPU bump) and bump up the RAM yourself to 4 GB... that would also leave you $$ to get a more powerful iMac if you still need it for your video and photo editing and neither will cost you an arm and a leg of your job savings...

14. kungfumonkey macrumors newbie

Get a Mac Mini and a REALLY huge monitor!

Get these:

• Mac Mini refurbished {$599 tops}
      Huge, awesome monitor {$300 tops}
      Mac keyboard and mouse {$118 & $66 on Amazon}
      Canon Lide 200 scanner (flawless on the Mac and does text scanning) {$76 on Amazon}
      Super hot girlfriend {FREE in High School}

You will succeed.

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have found that these always come with a price, usually very high. ;)

16. Albert96 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, I'll keep that gf thing in mind. Is the Mac Mini enough for what I need it for? I heard that it's Apple's low end desktop.