Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
savar said:
Edit: Oops, joke's on me. OS X specifically disclaims nuclear controllers too. I wonder if thats in the Windows license too. Nah, the universe is too ironic for that; MS is probably selling their software to nuclear plants.
nope, not in the xp pro license :D:p he should use a mini and run windows in vpc to control the plant...

PPC970FX

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2004
Wow

Well a computer to controle, even a smal part of a nuclerpowerplant must be special.

It must be incridible secure and 0 risk of any error. 3 power 5 computers all with hotswap HD, EEC memory and exstrem UPS. So that if one or even 2 copmuters fail there will be an exstra machin. The machin shuld rune a special made UNIX OS with minimal stuff on the OS, just the things that really is needed. Less things to f*** up.

A mac mini to conrole a nuclarpowerplant is like having a MS driven car, with a new meaning on screen of death.

geese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
PPC970FX said:
Well a computer to controle, even a smal part of a nuclerpowerplant must be special.

It must be incridible secure and 0 risk of any error. 3 power 5 computers all with hotswap HD, EEC memory and exstrem UPS. So that if one or even 2 copmuters fail there will be an exstra machin. The machin shuld rune a special made UNIX OS with minimal stuff on the OS, just the things that really is needed. Less things to f*** up.

A mac mini to conrole a nuclarpowerplant is like having a MS driven car, with a new meaning on screen of death.

Nah, should be OK.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
geese said:
Also I cant find any cracked rod controlling software on Limewire, so I'm going to have to make one myself using Java or Macromedia Director.

Sun does not license its software for the operation of nuclear facilities.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
If it all goes pear shaped there's gonna be one hell of a

dramabomb.jpg

geese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
cube said:

You mean I've got to get a DP G5 Power Mac? :eek:

I'm not sure the budget will stretch to that.

Also, will the mac work with an old 1970s Vector display that we've got knocking around the tea room?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
geese said:
Also, will the mac work with an old 1970s Vector display that we've got knocking around the tea room?

Only if you use a lot of duct tape. But duct tape should absorb a couple of neutrons while you're at it, so I'm sure you can get it under some kind of dual-use budget. :D

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
I really really think you're going overkill on the specs. What I've heard is that Russian research during the Cold War proved that rats have an extra sensory perception when it comes to nuclear reactors... They devised a method whereby rats are put in their wheels and they run depending on how much gamma radiation is being leaked.. the more radiation.. the faster they go.
Their wheels can then be hooked up to cogs which move the nuclear rods..

try it. you dont need a mac mini. you need a rat race.

geese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
SpaceMagic said:
I really really think you're going overkill on the specs. What I've heard is that Russian research during the Cold War proved that rats have an extra sensory perception when it comes to nuclear reactors... They devised a method whereby rats are put in their wheels and they run depending on how much gamma radiation is being leaked.. the more radiation.. the faster they go.
Their wheels can then be hooked up to cogs which move the nuclear rods..

try it. you dont need a mac mini. you need a rat race.

I'm not a vet- i've got an basic computing diploma. Thats all i'm qualified for.

I've just heard, that if this goes well, then they'll get me to upgrade the UK air traffic control system! One of the worlds most busiest airspaces! How would that look on the CV (or Resume as you yanks call them)

SurfinSHELL23

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2004
Aberdeen, NJ
geese said:
I'm not a vet- i've got an basic computing diploma. Thats all i'm qualified for.

I've just heard, that if this goes well, then they'll get me to upgrade the UK air traffic control system! One of the worlds most busiest airspaces! How would that look on the CV (or Resume as you yanks call them)
Need to hire a consulting firm? My dad's a vet and my math teacher has a PhD in Nuclear Engineering - yes and he teaches math to high school kids.

ChemicalGeoff

macrumors member
May 20, 2005
Coventry, UK
Jeez Louise Everyone in this forum seems to either have or be related to someone who has a degree in Nuclear Engineering/Physics.

What's the average IQ of this place? 165?

ChemicalGeoff

macrumors member
May 20, 2005
Coventry, UK
Just looked up Sellafield on Wikipedia; doesn't seem that there are any nuclear reactors running there these days, only a nuclear waste management programme.

Is this guy trying to con the good people of MR into thinking that he's really asking for our help?!?!

For shame, for shame.

;)

geese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
FFTT said:
Too bad I just gave my original IBM 286 to the Salvation Army :D

I can imagine the Salvation Army trying to use that as a sequencer for their brass instruments!

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
first look at Framatome...

Nuc, do you work at one of those locations? I interned at Framatome ANP for several years - was a very nice experience. Now, though, I believe they are Areva or another version of the Framatome-Areva name combination, yet still the same company. I wish they could go ahead and choose a name to stick with for a few decades. In the past 10 years, I think they have changed names five or six times.

geese, I'll be selling my iBook soon; I'm sure it will be up to the challenge. Although, as a warning, I don't think it operates well around high radiation levels.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
Uma888 said:
this is a joke right? :eek:
Look at the state of energy policy in this country - Blair goes to war with the yanks for oil so that we don't have to run nuclear power - it's the way of the future. Don't pollute our own country - destroy someone else's :p.
Geese is only writing these honest pleas for suggestions from an internet cafe round the corner from Sellafield. When he gets the contract for Air Traffic Control I'll be there to lend him all the pencil sharpeners he needs - you can't run the busiest airports in Europe without pencils right?
BTW Geese - I did mining in Cornwall - if you need a few holes to stash the stuff I can point you in the right direction ;)

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
uhhhh......

What part of the powerplant are u actually controlling because that sounds like scary s*** to use just a standard cpu for.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
AP_piano295 said:
What part of the powerplant are u actually controlling because that sounds like scary s*** to use just a standard cpu for.

mac mini's arent "standard cpus" they'll run it fine. I'm a bit worried though about the Mac Mini's hydrocarbon polymer plastics which may react with the 2.5 neutrons given out in a nuclear reation. we may end up with a chain reaction resulting in either a naked mac mini or a hot rodded mac mini (if so, xbench it and post results on here please...)

geese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
AP_piano295 said:

All the important bits- you know the bits that glow in the dark and go up and down in some kind of 'reactor'.

Although I've just worked out that with there being 4 reactor cores, I'll need 4 USB ports to connect to each reactor. Do you reckon I'll need a powered USB hub?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.