Which Mac will last the longest?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jtsang777, May 21, 2016.

1. jtsang777 macrumors member

I was thinking of replacing an old Macbook Air with an Macbook or Macbook Pro and was wondering what will last the longest? A Macbook Pro, or Macbook 12 inch? I plan to keeping the machine for 5+ years.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Depends on what you're doing with it.

3. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Honestly I would go with the pro just because of the better specs.

4. jtsang777 thread starter macrumors member

I just use it for school work and occasional games via boot camp.

5. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

In five years the Pro will be an overweight and oversized retro design that works fine while the Macbook will still have the latest design but will be a bit slow.

6. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

The 12" MacBook is incredible, especially the 2016 model. That gets my vote.

7. Closingracer macrumors 68000

With its core M cpu? It won't last the longest.....period. If you want the one that last the longest possible it would be a Macbook Pro and Air with its better cpu's

8. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

Don't underestimate the Core M series CPUs. The screen and hardware footprint are reason enough to discount the Air in favor of the rMB. The Pro will last just as long; however, in 5 years the rMB will still be rocking the current chassis design whereas the current MBP will be outdated and have been replaced with a design revision.

Also, the 2016 rMB's CPU is on par with the Air's now.

9. Closingracer macrumors 68000

The chassis is the SAME......just a different color. It's the Macbook Air 13 but smaller and colors added. So guess what that Macbook chassis will be outdated the same time as the pro and Air.

The core M in the 2016 does not come close to the Air cpu. You can't just match clock speeds and call it a day. If that's the case what's the difference between a Intel pentium 3 and an Intel i3 skylake both dual core clocked at say 2.0 ghz. Suffice to say the Intel i3 is better. The M3 in the 2015 model throttles quite easily where you can't consistently keep the turbo speeds at all. In terms of performance you'll want a pro ideally and a Air at worst.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Itd be nice if you were more specific.

Anyway, get the rMBP. The MacBook has a slower GPU, CPU and is designed for minimal heat and weight so some compromises are made.

11. Fishrrman macrumors G3

If the choice is MacBook v. MacBook Pro -- I'd get the Pro.
    More power, more ports, bigger display -- better shot for a longer life.

HOWEVER -- If you buy something RIGHT NOW, without waiting until the new MacBook Pros hit the market next month -- you may end up being VERY disappointed.... ;)

12. savagewatts macrumors regular

Go with the top MacBook Pro. It's features will stay relevant for a lot longer. I have a late 2014 MacBook Pro maxed out. Two years later it is still more powerful than any standard MacBook Pro onstage right now. It hasn't even begun to be outdated. As far as how it looks is far less important to me than how it performs.

MacBook Pros will still be thinner than most of the competition for years anyway.

13. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Eh the new HP spectre 13.3 inch laptop is the smallest and has an Intel i5 or i7, 8GB of ram, and a 1080p screen. Performance wise it's on par with the Macbook Pro with the exception of the screen which should help with performance since it requires the gpu to push less pixels.

I think it's only 10.4 mm big or something?

14. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Without knowing at you mean by gaming that's impossible to answer.

15. savagewatts macrumors regular

Not only is the basic model of this laptop $1,200.00, it still can't compare. It's i7 (top option) maxes out at 2.5 while the 2014 MacBook Pro starts can start at 2.8 and go over 3. MacBook has double the RAM at 16 GB, double the SSD storage at 1 TB, a Retina display and a dedicated GPU of which the HP does not appear to have.

When you take this into account, the almost two year old MacBook is far superior.

16. Closingracer, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016

Closingracer macrumors 68000

Yet that top end model has an intel i7, 256gb ssd and 8GB of ram for $50 less then the base Macbook Pro it has better specs than the base model. Your point?

And no a two year old Macbook priced similar to this is not better. Unlike you I don't blindly buy Into the Apple name..... Would I buy my Macbook Pro again? Yes. I bought it because it fit my current needs the most.....not because it is an Apple device and willing to pay the premium for it.

Second this hp laptop isn't meant to go against the pro but the Macbook and the Air. A Macbook Pro 13 with an Intel i7 and 256gb ssd is also a lot more money than this laptop......

I am also comparing this to 13 inch pros not 15 inch. I can get a razor blade for cheaper than the 15 pro with a dedicated gpu and better ones with the Nividia 970m.

17. savagewatts macrumors regular

The stats you listed don't come close to the Macbook Pro so I'm kind of lost on your point. Anyway, have a look at the original post. He's asking about MacBooks so while you might not, "blindly buy into the Apple name" the post isn't really looking for windows laptop suggestions. The question was about MacBooks.

18. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

The Macbook is very much designed for business, it seems to me, a briefcase stuffer meant to run undemanding office software. The Pro with its greater power and good range of ports (at the moment!) is the machine for hobbyists/home users.

Other opinions are available.

19. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Can a MacBook last for 10 years? – MacBook Air discussed on page three.

20. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

I guess you missed the part about gaming in bootcamp.

21. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Core M is BETTER than the 2015 MBA as a processor based on the geek bench results.
    MBA pfft rMB or RMBP is the way to go

In terms of lasting longest, i'd wager they'll have the same-ist lifespan. So just pick the design that appeals to you the most. Personally i like both, but would still be tempted with the rMBP, however if i was in the market now id be waiting until apples WWDC..

22. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Lol benchmarks. The Air is superior to the Macbook any way you put it...... Cheaper and/or bigger. You forget to realize benchmarks are useless in real life usage..... The core M from real life testing proves it throttles pretty easily so you won't be getting that turbo speed for long. Congrats it has higher benchmarks. Perhaps you should do a benchmark when it's throttled and when it does it pretty severely.....than come talk to me

23. magicschoolbus macrumors 6502

magicschoolbus

Macbook Pro Classic. I have a mid 2012 with a 2.9 i7 with 8 gigs of ram that I just put an SSD in, and I can see myself getting another 5 years out of this laptop; and I can still put even more RAM in if I want. It's a total beast with a SSD.

24. gpat macrumors 6502a

rMBP 15" without dedicated graphics. Or 13" with BTO 16GB RAM. Possibly the 2016 refresh as soon as it comes out.