Which Mac would you choose from this list?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by seadragon, Jun 11, 2009.

1. seadragon macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a new mac pro to replace my 1.8 GHz G5 iMac. I use it as my home computer, some FileMaker development and also composing music using Logic Studio.

Of course, I'm trying to decide between a refurb 2008 or a new 2009. There are 4 refurbs currently on the Canadian Apple site. I also need a monitor. If I were to go with the 2.8, I would be able to afford a 30 inch ACD. If I go with any other computer, I could afford the 24 inch LED ACD.

Would appreciate your opinions on the following deals. I'm looking to load up the machine with 12 to 16 Gigs of RAM.

2008 refurbs...
    [​IMG]

2009 new...
    [​IMG]

2. ray648 macrumors regular

Don't forget that the 2008 ones would require new graphics cards to run the 24@ led cinema display.

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I'd go with the refurb 3.0 8-core, and then get a HP monitor. I mean, Apple does overcharge for their stuff, so you don't need the Apple monitor. You can get a cheaper HP.

4. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

5. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

6. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

From that list? None.

If you are upgrading from a G5 then wouldn't a 2.93Ghz Quad be the better choice? $2,999.00 from Apple right now. Given that money is an issue, I would look at this option.

7. Eithanius macrumors 65816

either a 2008 2.8GHz and save up the pennies for a third-party monitor, loads of memory and storage, and some of your audio hardware... :p

or dump a little bit more on a 2009 2.26GHz for future-proofing....

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

+1 You totally want the 2009. Iheard nothing about price considerations, so go for the new ones, it'll last ya forever*.

*Actual lifetime may vary.

9. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Referb 8-Core 2.8Ghz Mac Pro. Then with $500, buy two 24" lcd monitors. 30" is nice but really expensive. More hard drives, 500GB SATA at $60 a pop. Some RAM.

From audio stand point:

Do you already have an audio interface? What about studio monitors? Play guitar, maybe grab Guitar Rig 3? Midi interface?

10. seadragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info so far guys.

I do have a bit of cash to spend on this fortunately. I'd like to keep my entire purchase under 7K total with taxes in. I don't flip computers very often so I'm looking for a system that I can get about 5 years out of.

I have also been looking at the 2.93 Quad as an option, but from what I've read, it sounds like Snow Leopard is going to open the doors for multi-core performance. I would imagine that Logic will be updated to take advantage of this as well during time that I would own this new system.

If I go for the 2008 refurb, I would need update memory, drives, graphics card etc.

As for the monitor situation, I really like the 24 inch LED display, but have been reading mixed reviews and problems that people have been having (ticking noises, color shifting, short short cord). I started thinking that perhaps I should go all out and get the 30 inch, but I find it strange that you cannot see it on Apple's website. It's like they've hidden it away. I looked at some third party monitors such as the Dell 2408WFP but then started reading about problems with OS-X and saturated reds etc. Monitors themselves are as difficult to shop for it seems.

Honestly, I'm finding it very hard to decide what to do. I'm driving myself crazy. :D

11. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

My vote is the 8 core 2.8GHz. I have this and love it...

12. seadragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

I play keyboard and my setup right now is a Yamaha Motif ES8 connected to my iMac via mLAN (Yamaha's proprietary firewire interface). I also have my eye on the Apogee Duet to perhaps replace the mLAN setup as it seems a bit simpler to work with and more integrated into Logic. Yamaha's stuff is still very "PC ish". I've read nothing but good reviews on the Duet.

13. snouter macrumors 6502a

No way is the 3.0 worth $700 more than the 2.8.

14. jon9091 macrumors member

I wouldn't get any from that list. I'd get a brand new (instead of a refurb) 3.2GHz 8 core for $2799....which is exactly what I just ordered. Plus, I'm trading in my 6 year old G5 on the deal, so my total cost for this computer will be $2200. Not bad, eh?

http://www.powermax.com/parts/show/c-nmp-mb451ll__a

15. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Well if you could afford to go 2.66 Octo or 2.93 Octo. Then just upgrade the HDD, RAM later that would be an option but the cost is significantly higher. I went with the 2.93 Octo, trying to future proof my purchase. I also violated the rule and bought RAM from Apple. :)

They don't hide the Monitor, they just don't push it the way they do the 24". Here is the link...
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9179LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MjE0NTg4OA

16. seadragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the monitor link. It's strange that you can only get to it from the "Shop Mac Accessories" area and not from the main product info area.

I was starting to think along the same lines as you suggested re the 2.66 Octo. I put this cart together although it puts me a little over budget. But I probably could stretch to do this:

[​IMG]

17. frimple macrumors 6502

That is one hell of a deal.

18. Merzie macrumors member

19. frimple macrumors 6502

Yeah that's killer... It's sent me into a tail spin now. Refurb 09 2.26, or 08 3.2?!?! They're the same damn price! :eek:

Though I suppose you really need to look at re-sale value. As much as people say it doesn't matter, I doubt this will be the last computer for you and when you go to get your new super computer you'll want to sell this bad boy back for something. There's also the upgrade factor. I believe there is a 3.4 harpertown processor out there, but intel isn't making any new ones. Also isn't there a hardware limit of at max 32 Gigs of ram on these puppies?? I thought I had heard that somewhere.

20. jon9091 macrumors member

I saw that one as well. But that company, inuitek, just had too many negative reviews here http://www.epinions.com/pr-Online_Stores_Services-iUnitek/display_~reviews for me to feel comfortable doing business with them. Plus I liked that fact that I could trade in (i.e. get rid of) my old G5 at the same time. Anyway....we have a couple of 2.8 8 cores and one 3.0 8 core where I work and they are just incredible machines. I'm sure I'll be very happy with the 3.2 considering the price I am paying for it, and what it sold for new.

21. Merzie macrumors member

I think that A) you could resell it for about the same you got for it come Holiday season 09. B) the rumors about the 2010 mac pros will be brewing right around that time.

GOod call, Jon.

22. frimple macrumors 6502

such a tough choice... I'm really on the fence about this one. Good think powermax has the current stock left so I can procrastinate! :D

23. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

That's a good setup. You could add RAM and HDD's later as needed.

24. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I would look around and see if I could locate a used set of 3.0 or 3.2 GHz procs for less than the difference. I have seen pairs of 3.2 GHz going for under $1,000. If I could I would buy the single proc $2,099 2008 MacPro and the 3.2 pair, sell the old 2.8 and spend the other $1,000 on an awesome Eizo ColorEdge monitor or maybe bank it - but I would NOT spend it on an Apple LED monitor - Yuck!

That would be $3k even for an 8-core 3.2GHz. Before you sold the 2.8 processor too! :D

If I couldn't find the procs I would probably get the 2.8 Octad (2 procs) and keep an eye out for the 3.2 ones. When found I'd sell the 2.8 ones and have myself a killer machine. BTW I think there are 3.4 GHz socket compatible processors for the 2008 machines but I could be remembering wrong.

25. gavin83209 macrumors regular

Not bad at all. I know for a fact that PowerMax does not charge sales tax, and with the free shipping promo on this one, $2799 is exactly what you pay. With California 8.75% taxes, the PowerMax deal is cheaper than the iUnitek by $123.47 ($2922.47 after sales tax vs. $2799). I assume that those are identically configured.