Which Macbook? - Ghz difference

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by frede1208, Jul 27, 2008.

1. frede1208 macrumors newbie

Hi

I am planning to buy my first macbook. My question is whether to buy the one with 2.1 ghz or the one with 2.4 ghz. What will the difference be? Will I feel a the difference?

I will be using my Mac for studying, music, fotos and a couple of small games.

Thank you.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

To be honest, I wouldn't think that the GHz difference would be noticeable in day-to-day use. I'd suggest that the price difference would be better spent on upping the RAM, which would give you a more tangible benefit.

A larger hard drive would also be worth considering if you're going to be storing a lot of music and photos, the higher GHz model comes with a bigger drive but this is something you can upgrade yourself easily in a matter of minutes.

3. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

I have the 2.4 model and I don't feel the difference from my past generation 2.0 C2D. What I can say is that if you're buying more RAM, don't buy it from Apple. You can get cheaper RAM from here.

4. frede1208 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to the both of you.

I have just heard that 2 gb ram (which i'm buying it with) should be enough.
    And actually i think 2gb is the max, in the model i am buying.

Would you even recommend a Macbook, what can you tell about it? What are the main benefits?

5. Zimpaz macrumors regular

Rumors have it they will be updated soon, so you may get a better spec machine for the same money if you can hold out for a month or so.

6. JoeDRC macrumors 6502

its a max of 4gb ram, get it from crucial its alot cheaper!

7. emac82 macrumors 6502

I would buy the 2.4, but because of the SuperDrive (and the more ram, but you can upgrade for cheap too)..but I wouldn't want just a Combo Drive..Personally...

8. Mjmar macrumors 65816

For me the faster processor, bigger hard drive, more ram, and superdrive were enough to get the higher end white MacBook. If you don't need the superdrive or the extra hard drive space, get the lower model and order more ram from another store.

9. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I gave it a lot of thought. I went with the 2.1ghz with 160HD and spent the savings on 4GB RAM. I was still way below $$$ a 2.4 MacBook.

10. illidian macrumors 6502

4GB is the max, and depending on what games you're talking about running, is an upgrade very much worth the ~$80.

11. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

Sounds like your consideration paid off. Enjoy your new machine!

12. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I bought a 2.2 GHZ refurb, put 4 GB RAM in it (came w/ 1 GB) and never looked back. Right now 4gb of RAM is $99,
    http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...Hz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch Black) MB063LL/B.
    A 2.4 Gb refurb BMB is $1249,a 2.1 WMB is $949.
    I would highly recommend any MB, after having plenty of window PC's, this 2.2 C2D is the best computing experience I have ever had:eek:
    :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

13. muldul macrumors 6502

I would get 2.4 because of all the extras over the 2.1

14. frede1208 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks.

I think i might just go with the 2,1, and maybe buy some extra ram.
    Which ram will fit in to a Macbook?

Superdrive vs. Combodrive - what is the differences?

15. Zimpaz macrumors regular

Sites such as ebuyer sell ram sepcifically for the amcbook, so check that out.

The super drive is only a cd/CD writer, whereas the combodrive is a DVD/DVD writer

16. benh- macrumors member

I've got the base model, and I am perfectly happy with it. And I use it for the same as you: music, videos, studying. I have Final Cut Pro on it too...Apple say it will not even run, yet it runs almost as fast as on a Macbook Pro.

I'm also thinking of getting more ram, and I wouldn't bother waiting for the new one. If you start getting in the habbit of that, you will never buy anything: and, if you like the look of the current model, I'd certainly get it. I bought mine in April and I haven't looked back since.

Enjoy your MB. =]
    :apple:

17. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

You have that backwards. The SUPERDRIVE is the dvd burner, the COMBO DRIVE is the cd burner only.

OP, why just worried about the ghz difference? There is also a huge difference in the installed drive. Do you need/want a dvd burner? Then go with the 2.4, if you don't care then get the 2.1.

18. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

2.4 GHz White! Best value for money! Better speeds, better HDD and more RAM for $200:D

19. frede1208 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually i don't care, because i don't burn dvd's. So i will go with 2.1 customized with 2 gb ram and 160 gb harddrive :)

20. illidian macrumors 6502

For spending just about the same amount of money, you could get 4GB of RAM and a 250GB HDD if you buy from newegg.

21. frede1208 thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn okay. but.. I just don't want to bother my self with that, because i am quite a dummy, when it comes to the inside of a computer.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You don't need 4GB of RAM so don't waste money on it.

23. frede1208 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, i did'nt think so either. I'm glad about 2gb ram on a laptop.

24. illidian macrumors 6502

Apple made these parts on the MacBook user serviceable. If you're able to register a MacRumors account, you're able to install a HDD and RAM into your notebook. It's really that simple.

25. BigD58 macrumors regular

yea I would just save your cash for extra ram I promise you won't know the difference ghz wise.