Which Macbook Pro Case

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by comradejon, Aug 20, 2011.

1. comradejon macrumors newbie

Sup good people, finally put in my order for a new MBP the other day, not gonna be here for another week or two thanks to the hard drive sadly but gives me time to buy the necessary extras.

I just spent £1572 on this and on one hand I want to protect my investment, it's double the cost of the most expensive thing I've ever bought before as a poor student. On the other hand, I really do not want to spend much more money because quite frankly I've spent too much as it is.

I've trawled these forums and countless others looking for the best case but really don't know which to go for, for a Macbook Pro 15. I'm going to have it within another bag, but I'm unsure whether to go for a sleeve or a case that sticks on all the time (like the InCase or the Speck, although I hear a lot of bad things about the Speck and dust/dirty over time) or something different entirely. Forums just seem to be a mess of people talking about different models of Macbook let alone cases, or suggesting ridiculously expensive leather products.

I really don't want to be spending much money, so let's say a £30 or $50 budget. Any top tips would be much appreciated, thanks again

P.S. I'm going to be a very heavy user but I do look after my stuff, it probably won't be falling over or anything silly like that, I just want long term care because I want this laptop to last me five years

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Personally, I wouldn't even bother with a case, but I do understand your concerns. In that case, I would look at an Incase or Speck hardcase. They need to be cleaned out every week or so, or else the computer may scratch. In addition, you might want to look into a keyboard cover for some further protection. Nothing like spilling a few drops of water and killing your brand new computer.

3. comradejon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. Any particularly brand of keyboard protection? I've seen one or two but they seem to require typing that little bit harder - 2000 word essays every week really wouldn't benefit from that.

Surely cleaning them out every week would be such a fuss as to necessitate not bothering. If I just stuck it in a Vyper case or equivalent heavy-duty sleeve, then from there into my bag will that be enough?

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would recommend a Moshi keyboard cover if you are looking to buy one. It is very thin and very easy to type with. When you first get it, you will feel "Why did I buy this?!?!?" but just keep using it. I felt the same way but now I love it. It gives the keyboard a very tactile response which is fantastic. I feel that I can type faster with the keyboard cover. Trust me, you'll hate it at first but continue using it.

I would say yes to putting the computer in hardcase>sleeve> bag. Do not overestimate the protection of the hard case though. Sometimes the computer still end up denting if something drops on them, despite there being a hardcase.

Found a link for you: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moshi-99MO0...ODUI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313919116&sr=8-1

You might find it cheaper if you press "view all buying options"

5. comradejon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that will look into it, since finances are tight might wait a little while before buying it and just go for the Vyper hardcase. Any other cases you'd recommend, if I've missed any?

I did some more research into the Speck-type cases and it seems more trouble than it's worth - for it to work I seemingly need to look after it as well as I would if I didn't have the case on top. The one that really confused me was the 3M sticker-type stuff that you put on top which seems to offer no protection at all.

Just don't want to get ripped off in what seems a very overpriced world of peripherals, thanks for the advice again sorry to keep bugging you!

6. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

the vyper hardcase is a very nice case and you cannot go wrong

7. comradejon thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers for that. If it had a Speck/Incase case would it still fit? I assume the fit isn't thatttttt tight, just thought I'd check.

The reviews of long term Incase use seem to be quite positive, and don't seem to be as bad regarding long term scratches, so if anyone has an opinion on that I would be most grateful thank you :)

8. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

I have a MBP "Incase" cover and I cannot recommend it.

After two years:
    1. Two corners on the body have fallen off
    2. Two other corners (last two) on the body are falling off (bent and peeling).
    3. The top piece (on screen) is still on and shows no problems.

Poorly built is my reason for this and I will not be buying another "incase" despite its soft rubber cover.

:mad::mad:

9. comradejon thread starter macrumors newbie

Two years isn't bad, but I guess given the cost you'd expect better.

In that case I'd be tempted more by Speck, but I still am hearing lots of conflicting stories about the dust issue - some people without any cleaning have it for months upon months and report nothing bad, some people have it and it causes all sorts of problems and requires constant cleaning.

10. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

i can vouch for that. The vyper would also fit the laptop even in a hardshell case.

Also, i have an incase hard shell on my mbp 13 and take it off when i am home. The longest time period ive had it on straight was about 6 months, when i took the case off to see what was underneath, there was nothing TOO unsightly, just a lot of dust, and a couple hairs, no scratches to the mbp at all.