Which macbook pro for an developer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joaop, Nov 29, 2010.

1. joaop macrumors newbie

joaop

Hello everyone, here are the tasks I usually do on my mac:
    • Use XCode and its tools (that is obvious )
    • I use the Adobe Photoshop CS5 and the Illustrator CS5 too.
    • I really don't carry my notebook with me a lot.
    • It must be 15 or 17 inch.
    • I'm eligible for :apple:'s Student Discount
    • I would like to not spend all my money on it, so do not create an MacBook Pro 17" with everything on Maximum on the customization page.
    • If possible,I wouldn't like to it be a customized Mac.
    That's it, thank you guys. Because seriously I can see the ideal Mac for everyone, but for me.

2. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

3. nOw2 macrumors regular

Well... based on your requirements... I recommend either a MacBook Pro 15" or a MacBook Pro 17".

My cut is 5%. Thank you.

4. splitpea macrumors 6502a

For design work and for viewing more lines of code on the screen, I recommend going high-res. For design you may want to consider anti-glare.

5. joaop thread starter macrumors newbie

joaop

Hello, thank you guys for answering me! Okay, I'm in doubt of which of the three MacBooks Pro 15 inch. Going hi-res really worth it, but in my case it don't because I prefer to buy it on a Retail, and I mean, most of the time I stay programming and it's just 36% of resolution. I know this will sound weird but using Photoshop or Illustrator it's just a hobby for me. Could anyone tell me which one of the three 15.4 inch models should I choose.
    :apple:Thanks.:apple:

6. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

From your needs, it looks like you would be fine with the base (lowest-priced) 15" model. Heck, I'm pretty sure you would be fine with the base MacBook. Any modern computer is more than capable of running XCode, as 95% is text processing and the other 5% is simple compiling. Contrary to popular belief, you don't need a dedicated GPU to run Photoshop and Illustrator; especially if it's just a hobby, the integrated NVidia graphics in the regular MacBook should run it smoothly.

7. jlw2387 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I vote for a 13" MBP and a 20"+ external monitor. I run Xcode and Gimp on mine and rarely ever see much of a CPU load.

8. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

as a dev i recommend the 17", it really pays for itself overtime and the screen real estate is amazing. and even though 17" sounds pretty big compared to other MBP its really not THAT big, just big enough to be efficient.

9. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

I'm learning to develop in xcode, and I'm using a 15" and invested in a 25" 1080 monitor. I keep xcode on the laptop monitor and spread Interface Builder and Simulator onto the bigger screen.

10. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It must be so difficult for you to function in your day to day life if you stop to point out every small mistake others make.

As far as the choice of laptop goes, the 17" resolution is great for the tasks described. I'd recommend a high quality SSD to keep things fast, quiet and cool.

11. joaop thread starter macrumors newbie

joaop

Thank you guys for the answers! I finally decided, I'll get the middle 15-inch with 7200RPM - faster hard drive - and I'll use an external 17" monitor to run the Interface Builder.
    :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not get the base model and then upgrade the memory/hard drive->SSD yourself?

13. joaop thread starter macrumors newbie

joaop

SSD is actually too expansive, and if I'd a little bit more money available to spend in this notebook, it probably wont be enough to pay the SSD and I would get 8GB of RAM or the Core i7 15".

14. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

For what it's worth, I use the i7 15" MacBook pro with the 500 GB 7200RPM and 8 GBs RAM, and hiRes anti-glare screen. At home I use an external 30" monitor and at work I use an external 24" monitor.

I spend most of my day working in the Netbeans IDE. Other than that I use it for my photography with Aperture.

This has been a fantastic setup. When 400-500 GB SSDs get reasonable I will upgrade to use one.

15. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

15" Macbook Pro + 500GB WD SCorpio Black + 8GB of RAM (Purchase aftermarket, way cheaper than an Apple upgrade). :D

16. joaop thread starter macrumors newbie

joaop

So, as a developer, you would recommend me what? I'm not a HARD-CORE PRO DEVELOPER, look below:
    |__________|__________|_________________________________________|

1= beginner :p
    2= veteran :rolleyes:
    3= hardcore :eek:
    4= legend :apple:

Actually my "score" is 1,45 :)p :rolleyes:). I mean, I started programming this year, and really, I want to be a :apple: , I want this notebook to last at least 2,5 (4 or 5 years), of course I'll upgrade it with new technologies.

17. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Probably any of the 15" MBPs will be suitable for you. As needed you can upgrade down the road to more RAM and from a HD to a SSD. Whether or not you get the high res screen is a matter of preference and whether you'll use an external monitor. Personally, I hate using the laptop screen itself for development and run in clamshell mode with an external monitor. The bigger the display the better.

18. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I was thinking the same thing... Were grammar snobs :p

19. joaop thread starter macrumors newbie

joaop

So, in my case, I can choose between 7200RPM or the hi-res display, which one you think it's better for me? (I personally would choose the 7200RPM, just asking for be sure of the choice). If you think the hi-res display is better, does the Anti-Glare worth it?:confused:

20. RKpro macrumors 6502

Since you said you won't carry it around a lot. Have you considered an iMac? The base model will be just as fast, if not faster than an i7 mbp. It'll have a 1080p screen, so there is less of a need for a second monitors. It'll be more ergonomic when working on a desk. And you'll save a bunch of money.

21. joaop thread starter macrumors newbie

joaop

I've an iMac, I won't upgrade it anymore, it's good, but now I'm sure I want a macbook pro. When I said that I won't carry it a lot, I meant that portability wasn't my priority - and still not.

22. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

The display can not be changed later. The drive can be changed for less than $100. I would get the display I wanted first. Anti-glare or glossy is completely a matter of preference.

23. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

;)

24. ldkaplan macrumors regular

ldkaplan

I think the OP meant edveloper.

I would get the top end 13" and a 23" or 24" display. Yes, I know you said only 15 or 17", but I decided 13" would be better for you.

25. joaop thread starter macrumors newbie

joaop

Which one of the following models should I choose:

Attached Files: