which macbook pro for flight sim?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wolfie, May 9, 2009.

1. wolfie macrumors regular

hi guys i got a macbook, but want to move up.

im trying to determine which macbook pro model will play microsoft flight sim ( and maybe xplane)

this is most likley the only demanding game i will want to play.
    the other games ill play are city building games, simulation, management kind of games.

im not a first person shooter gamer.

ild like the flight sim to play well, and roughly what sort of settings i could play it at at a playable rate.

ill also intend to get the 24 led display from apple so i dont know if the settings and/or the macbook pro will be given extra stress to drive it.

anyone with any feedback please post.
    muc appreciated, thankyou.

2. doc4x5 macrumors member

flight sim on a mac

If you want to use Microsoft Flight Simulator on a Mac, you will need to do it with Windows, with Bootcamp or one of the commercial programs, on a Windows partition. This also means you need to purchase a full original copy of Windows to run on it. MS FS does not run on Mac OS X software.

I use a Windows partition on my Mac Pro tower to fly with MS FS and it runs quite well, usually. I also have X-Plane, a commercial program available for OS X. If you want it, buy it online, as the stores do not seem to carry it or carry only a Windows version. It is complex and quite sophisticated. I actually prefer the MS FS to X-Plane but YMMV.

With either you really need either a good joystick, or a flight yoke which is what I use. Rudder pedals are nice as well, if you're a serious simmer. Some people set up multiple monitors and make a quite elaborate setup.

Good luck.

Doc

3. wolfie thread starter macrumors regular

thankyoufor the reply.

i know i need boot camp, i cant decide if i need the 2.66 512 megs card to have a enjoyable experience or not.

suppose you wouldnt have a idea?

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

X-Plane (OS-X native) ran fine on my 2.33GHz MBP, at 1680 X 1050. They have a demo you can download.