Which MacBook Pro for my needs?

dex91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
I'm currently a masters student with 3 months until I graduate and want to treat myself to a macbook pro even though my current Dell is working OK haha. I've been reading reviews and similar forum posts for days but I'm no closer to making a decision. My needs are basic: word processing, spreadsheets, watching movies/tv shows, and general browsing and possibly some gaming (nothing too heavy).

I'm torn between the MBP 13" non retina and rMBP 13" (8GB RAM & 256GB SSD). My current laptop has the same RAM and HDD specs as the nrMBP so I cant really justify buying a laptop which is similar specced to my current one - but I could upgrade it with more RAM and an SSD myself. Whereas the new rMBP is next generation computing, pre installed SSD and RAM and saves me opening up the computer to upgrade. My main reason for not getting the rMBP is simply, the fact it cant be upgraded and repairs (if necessary) will be more expensive. Am I being stupid in letting that hold me back?

Thanks

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
You will greatly appreciate the Retina display over the regular cMBP's display. Depending on your current laptop's CPU and GPU, it may very well be an upgrade. I have a 120 GB SSD and 16 GB of RAM in one of my G5s, but that by no means makes it even close to my MacBook Pro with 16 GB of RAM and a 120 GB SSD. Upgradeability is a nice factor, but the new rMBP really are blazing fast machines with the PCI storage. Either one you will be happy with but the late 2013 rMBPs will blow you away.

Comment

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I'd go with the rMBP, newer hardware, faster GPU, gorgeous screen - rMBP is the future why spend a lot of money on last years technology when you can buy this years

Comment

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
don't buy old tech - go for the retina!

I don't like that the rMBP are not user upgradeable, but they are really awesome and insanely fast machines.

Comment

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Retina display is awesome. At first I wasn't sure if 8GB memory is enough (coming from Windows 7 with 2GB) but it turned out OK for me. It depends on what you want to do. I use it for Photoshop CS6, FCPX, web browsing, and play some games. :apple:

Comment