Which MacBook Pro for my needs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dex91, Jan 10, 2014.

1. dex91 macrumors newbie

I'm currently a masters student with 3 months until I graduate and want to treat myself to a macbook pro even though my current Dell is working OK haha. I've been reading reviews and similar forum posts for days but I'm no closer to making a decision. My needs are basic: word processing, spreadsheets, watching movies/tv shows, and general browsing and possibly some gaming (nothing too heavy).

I'm torn between the MBP 13" non retina and rMBP 13" (8GB RAM & 256GB SSD). My current laptop has the same RAM and HDD specs as the nrMBP so I cant really justify buying a laptop which is similar specced to my current one - but I could upgrade it with more RAM and an SSD myself. Whereas the new rMBP is next generation computing, pre installed SSD and RAM and saves me opening up the computer to upgrade. My main reason for not getting the rMBP is simply, the fact it cant be upgraded and repairs (if necessary) will be more expensive. Am I being stupid in letting that hold me back?

Thanks

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You will greatly appreciate the Retina display over the regular cMBP's display. Depending on your current laptop's CPU and GPU, it may very well be an upgrade. I have a 120 GB SSD and 16 GB of RAM in one of my G5s, but that by no means makes it even close to my MacBook Pro with 16 GB of RAM and a 120 GB SSD. Upgradeability is a nice factor, but the new rMBP really are blazing fast machines with the PCI storage. Either one you will be happy with but the late 2013 rMBPs will blow you away.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

picked a refurbished retina with most bells & whistles , saved 600 and it should last a while.

4. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

5. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

6. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Too right. Never go non-retina display.... yuk!

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd go with the rMBP, newer hardware, faster GPU, gorgeous screen - rMBP is the future why spend a lot of money on last years technology when you can buy this years

8. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

don't buy old tech - go for the retina!

I don't like that the rMBP are not user upgradeable, but they are really awesome and insanely fast machines.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

When you say similarly specc'd, you mean in terms of number to number comparison or equal architectures?

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Retina display is awesome. At first I wasn't sure if 8GB memory is enough (coming from Windows 7 with 2GB) but it turned out OK for me. It depends on what you want to do. I use it for Photoshop CS6, FCPX, web browsing, and play some games. :apple: