Which Macbook Pro Should I Buy - Regarding Final Cut Pro/Editing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mikeyboyy, Jun 9, 2009.

1. mikeyboyy macrumors newbie

Hi there

Please forgive me for the repeat of one of those questions that is asked so often.
    But I have checked out the buyers guide, looked around the forum - and am now awesomly excited for a MBP with new spec!
    I simply need to decide which one to get now, and then I can join the apple family! :)

The purpose of my MBP will be general use, but as my main computer. However, I do my fair share of graphic related editing (Photoshop), and would also like to start using Final Cut Pro (along with Aperture etc) and progress my interest in other media stuff, film editing etc.

For the reasons above; editing, graphics - I think I should get a 15" MBP instead of 13" because of the bigger screen... are we agreed?
    I must say though, the 13" MBP is soo neat and sexy! What are people's experience with the weight/size of the 15".

And finally, the most important part:
    In reference to http://store.apple.com/uk_smb_67752/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro
    • Will the lowest 2.53GHz run FCP nicely? or is it an idea to get the 2.66GHz or 2.8GHz?
    • Would it be worth upgrading the HDD to 7200rpm
    • The lowest spec is just 'NVIDIA GeForce 9400M' - can someone explain the '+ 9600M GT' on the others - and should I be considering this with either 256mb or 512mb?!

Sorry for the large amount of questions - but I know there are some extremely knowledge people on these forums that can help me!
    V excited to get a mac!!!!

Mike

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

2.66GHz model with 9400M + 9600GT. You'll be doing video editing so GPU is quite important for smooth performance

3. imthekuni macrumors member

You will ABSOLUTELY want to upgrade your HDD to 7200rpm! This will decrease seek time when accessing files.

4. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Can he get away with the new 13" MBP for video editing -- or no?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Of course he can, but if it'll be mainly used for video editing, more power is appreciated.

6. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Oh, sure... but I guess what I meant was, will the 13" MBP be able to comfortably edit video? -- or will it be so slow that it pretty much just chokes its way through it?

Anyway... :)

7. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Get the macbook pro with a dedicated graphics card , you will need it

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

When it's about video editing, all extra power is needed. 13" MBP will do its job well but if his editing a lot or it's his job, then definitely that one with dedicated GPU

9. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

If you're just EDITING, the 13" is fine, granted the screen is a little cramped as far as Final Cut is concerned. That's not to say I haven't cut my share of XDCAM HD footage on a black 2.2Ghz MacBook. So the new ones are more than adequate. A 15" would give you a more comfortable screen to work on though.

10. mikeyboyy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies!

So when referring to "a dedicated graphics card" - is that the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB/512mb as opposed to just the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M.

Ok - can anyone tell me, or link to, how much more power the MBP 2.66GHz has over the 13".

Hellhammer, that's re-assuring to knowledge all - to know that the 13" MBP will run FCP smoothly. Which does just leave my final dilema, would the 13" screen be big enough - considering it is not my job etc

Currently looks like either:
    • The 13-inch: 2.53GHz - if the screen would be big enough, and if it would serve my purposes enough
    • Or
    • The 15-inch 2.66GHz, with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB

I'll mention that I have 1/2 more years of education (UK) before starting University... and I guess I would like my MBP to last.
    Also, do people feel the 15" is still quite portable?

Thanks all!

11. mikeyboyy thread starter macrumors newbie

Just seen this - (I was writing my reply at the same time).
    Perhaps it is an idea that I go to the apple shop and see how the 13" screen feels now that I've narrowed down the decision to those two mentioned.

But, what do you mean by "just EDITING" ??

12. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I mean just editing, and not doing too much Motion animation, compositing, etc. If you're just cutting footage and won't be using scopes, mixers, manipulating filters too much, etc...basically things where more screen real estate and more graphics power would be helpful.

13. mikeyboyy thread starter macrumors newbie

I would definately like to start using Motion. And I don't know much about the other stuff you mentioned... but if the answer was 'I will be using those' would you suggest the 15-inch 2.66GHz, with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB

How nicely does the 13" MBP run Motion?

14. TJROCKSTAR macrumors newbie

To be honest, if we're talking basic editing, without any of the heavy duty rendering, he could even go as basic as a MacMini. Odd as it is, I've been surprised at what I've had been able to do with one, when stuck with a deadline, and main desktop was down. (regarding specs, and not desktop V Laptop or anything)
    Sure Ideally I'd suggest the middle of the road MBP15 for $2k. Figuring the GPU power, and overall long term usage V. cost. Screen size is ok, and I believe that you should be able to get a hell of a lot of use out of most if not all of the FCP suite, Logic pro as well.

15. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

People seem to forget that back in the day everyone was using Media100 and editing on 233MHZ PowerPC processors. You really don't NEED the 9600, if you don't know what you're missing, you won't have a problem. Video has much to do with the processor unless you're adding effects. Any new Mac CAN edit video without a hitch. Is George Lucas gonna use a 13" MBP to edit? Probably not, but It COULD do it.

16. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I say this one more time now, buy the best one you can afford. I don't need 2.93GHz with GT130 now but in future I may need it

17. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

The 13" MBP will RUN motion. It won't be the absolute fastest, but I remember running Motion on my 2004 1.33GHZ iBook with 32MB VRAM, it worked just fine, sure it was slow, but it worked. The new MBP should be lightning faster with dual cores and 256MB VRAM, even if it is "shared".

18. mikeyboyy thread starter macrumors newbie

19. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Okay, okay, mate just hold on. I've writed over 100 posts in two days, all have been about which MBP to buy.

You said you'll be doing video editing, so is it more than just cutting and pasteing? If it is, you'll love the one with dedicated GPU and when Snow Leopard is out, you'll get more advantage of OpenCL.

How about previous gen MBP for 1500$? It's 2.4GHz with 15 inch screen and both GPUs

20. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

What about for just editing some ACVHD clips of our kid's graduation? :)

21. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If you're only using the computer for EDITING, there's no reason to get anything besides the lowest end Macbook. just about ANY video card can handle linear 2d editing.

If you plan on using Motion or other 3d rendering type applications, you want a better video card. Here is where the 9600 i better.

However, as people have said, Motion (and the like) will run on a 9400m. Just not quite as fast. If this is an investment for college, I'd go with a 9400m + 9600 as you never know what the future will bring, and you may need the graphics power (plus it's nice for gaming). If this is for real life, and you'll hardly ever use it for anything more then 2d, get the 15" (13" is too small) with the 9400m.

As for the speed difference of the processors, there's hardly any difference. Maybe a few seconds, hardly worth the money though... especially if you're not 100% sure you need it.

22. mikeyboyy thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry sorry that "." was a mistake. I was actually asking the question about power again - "can anyone tell me, or link to, how much more power the MBP 2.66GHz has over the 13"."

Ye probably will progress to more than just cutting, pasting, slicing etc - and I would definately like to start using Motion.

Still convinced on the 2 we've narrowed the choice to, mentioned above. But I should probably go to the Apple shop to see how the 13" screen feels.

A quick briefing on OpenCL ?

23. mikeyboyy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Great response. Gives me the correct stuff to think about - whether I will be doing 2d or 3d a lot.
    I just checked out OpenCL very briefly on the apple site, and it seems like it could hold an advantage.

I'm leaning towards the 15-inch: 2.66GHz I think - and upgrading the HDD to 7200rpm ye?

24. mikeyboyy thread starter macrumors newbie

Oops sorry about those messages! (Must have been confusing!)
    I was thinking in terms of PSU power - which is stupid

25. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How about previous gen 2.4GHz MBP with 9600GT? That's ~1400$ from refurb store, it gives you the biggest bang for your buck.

Also, MBP with 9600GT will have higher resale value