Which macbook pro would be better to get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kmarketing, Nov 13, 2008.

  1. kmarketing macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2004
    #1
    Hi,

    I need your help...

    Here are the 2 macbook pros that I am deciding between.

    1. 15" 2.33ghz
    4gb memory
    256mb video memory
    matte display

    2. 15" 2.2ghz
    4gb memory
    128mb video memory
    glossy display

    Both are in excellent condition, but out of warranty. The concern that I have with the 2.2ghz is the video card that many have had issues with. But there haven't been any problems so far.

    Which one is better? Which would you get?

    Thanks so much!
     
  2. Telp macrumors 68040

    Telp

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2007
    #2

    I think the most important question here is what you plan on using these machines for. Do you have a problem with glossy over matte?
     
  3. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2004
    #3
    Hi,

    Thanks for your response...

    No preference on the screens really. Both look good to me :)

    No games really - generally internet, office, music, dvd, photoshop, dreamweaver (eventually), dvd's and imovie, etc.
    Thanks!
     
  4. JC0205 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2008
    #4
    I would go for the 2.33ghz one, since the ATI card will probably be more safe than the known defective nvidia 8600. Plus since its out of warranty, if anything were to happen, fixing the one with nvidia is gonna be costly, really costly.
     
  5. Telp macrumors 68040

    Telp

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2007
    #5
    Either computer should work fine for that, but as far as what the person above me said, for that reason, thats a good idea.
     
  6. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2004
    #6
    That's pretty much what I was thinking with the newer video card.

    Will there be a noticeable loss of performance and speed with going with non-santa rosa model?

    What features will I be missing out on with the older model?

    Thanks!
     
  7. CaffeMacchiato macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2008
    #7
    I have the new 15" mbp. If I could wait, which I couldn't apparently, I would wait for the 17" mpb with backlit-LED to come out. And that old keyboard is really daunting.
     
  8. Sylwyn macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2008
    Location:
    Ottawa, Canada
    #8
    Honestly,
    For what you're using the system for, either one will be more than enough. I've been running Adobe CS3 on an iMac G5 from 2004 without any performance issues. Also, what are the prices looking like? You can get a good deal on the models that just got replaced at most Best Buys and then you'd have a warranty as well. Just my 2 cents.

    J
     
  9. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2004
    #9
    Hi,

    Thanks for your response...

    The 2.33 would be $800 and the 2.2 would be $850. Are those good deals?

    I would be selling my old mbp then. But before I do, I was thinking about swapping hard drives. The 2.33 has a 200gb 7200 hard drive.

    Would the 200gb 7200 hard drive be better or would the 320gb 5400 hard drive from my old mbp be better?

    Thanks for everyone's opinions and help!
     
  10. troy14 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2008
    Location:
    Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
    #10

    Don't know why no one has brought this up, but definitely get the 2.2ghz.

    The nVidia GPU may fail, if it does, Apple has extended the warranty for an additional 2 (i believe) years. It will be free to fix.

    Also, it has the LED backlit display, while the 2.33ghz does not. Also, the 2.2ghz will get better battery life then the 2.33.

    There's absolutely no reason for you to get the 2.33ghz.
     
  11. six.four macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2008
    #11
    First, those are great prices.

    Second, there are more differences than just the GPU:

    The 2.2 not only has a more powerful GPU, but more importantly it has an LED backlit screen versus the CCFL in the 2.33. Also (a minor difference), the superdrive in the 2.2 is upgraded from the 2.33. Finally, the 2.2 uses the newer 965 chipset vs the 945 that is used in the older 2.33 model. The 945 is only able to address ~3.2 gb of memory (even though you have 4gb installed). The 965 uses memory remapping to allow 4gb+ compatibility.

    The hardware in the 2.2 is superior in many ways to that found in the 2.33. But considering the faulty GPU and the fact that there is no more warranty - I'd say that's a tough call. But also consider that apple has extended the warranty for the GPU to two years from the purchase date - so the 2.2 (if purchased in mid 2007), should have warranty on the GPU until mid 2009. If it were me, and it was within the 2 years, I'd buy the 2.2.

    My 2 cents.
     
  12. sahni130 macrumors 6502

    sahni130

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2008
    Location:
    Atlanta, Georgia, United States
    #12
    i think you should get the 2.2 since its newer. i wouldn't worry to much about the graphics card.
     
  13. JC0205 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2008
    #13
    Wow...who would sell those notebooks with those specs for such low prices...and were owned for less than 2 years? wow..be careful, might be a scam or there might be something wrong with the comps.

    Well if you're going with the 2.2 MBP, then hopefully it goes bad within the 2 year warranty...or else the warranty would be useless. Depends on the original owner, depends on how much he stressed the GPU along with many other factors. So if you get the 2.2 MBP, stress it like crazy and bring it in for the nvidia GPU test and hope it fails. Good luck!
     
  14. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2004
    #14
    Thanks for the details!

    Nothing wrong with either computer, they're actually in excellent condition.

    Can someone please help me on the hard drives?

    Is there a big difference between the 2? If not, I just may go for the older 2.33 simply because of the lack of headache in the future.

    But if the performance difference, battery life, screen quality over time, is much better with the 2.2, then I may just go that way.

    Please let me know,
    Thanks!
     
  15. bki122689 macrumors 6502

    bki122689

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2008
    #15
    i would get 2. 15" 2.2ghz
    4gb memory
    128mb video memory
    glossy display

    i like glossy display it has better video memory.

    what will you be primarily be using your mbp pro?
     
  16. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2004
    #16
    Hi,

    It sounds like the 2.2 may be more of a gamble if I am trying to "hope that it goes bad", no?

    For those of you that think the 2.2 is better, would I be right to be concerned that if it fails after mid 2009 (it is from mid 2007), that I will be out of a computer?

    Thanks!
     
  17. six.four macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2008
    #17
    Nobody can tell you what will happen if you buy the 2.2. Maybe it will fail, maybe it won't. Maybe it'll fail before mid 2009, maybe it won't. And yes, if it fails after mid 2009, you would technically be SOL - the GPU failing means you'd have to replace the entire logic board, which will cost you an arm and a leg.

    Continually asking the same question in different ways will still get you the same responses.
    People have given you opinions from both sides and I think at this point, you're well educated with enough information to make a decision.

    The only question you have to answer is if the (small) risk is worth it for you.
     
  18. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2004
    #18
    Hi,

    This is definitely a tough choice, so I'll just get both for now, and see which one to keep.

    Thanks for the great opinions and advice, I'll update on how it goes.
     
  19. iphonematt Guest

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2007
    #19
    Keep in mind that the 2.33 can't take advantage of the full 4GB of RAM unlike the 2.2 model... just something else to think about.
     
  20. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2004
    #20
    Hi,

    Understood. I'm still trying to find out how much a performance advantage the 2.2 would be over the 2.33. If it is somewhere like 6-10% (like what some reports may show), I think I may just stick with the 2.33 out of fear of the video card issue.

    I'm also thinking that either one would be a nice boost from my current core duo mbp, correct?

    So honestly, I'm thinking either one would be a nice experience.

    Thanks!
     
  21. masse macrumors 6502a

    masse

    Joined:
    May 4, 2007
    Location:
    MA/GA
  22. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2004
    #22
    Wow, you seem so sure!

    I would completely agree if there was no floating video card issue, but it looks like I would only have until mid 2009 to have any apple support for it if anything happens. Once mid 2009 passes, it would stink if this known issue comes up and I have no coverage.

    That's the only concern, other than that, you are correct!
     
  23. Geffen macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2007
    Location:
    Michigan
    #23
    I have the Macbook pro 2.33 in which i haven't had any issues with, i noticed you mentioned the one your buying has 4GB of ram? mine is maxed out at 3GB and i also paid much more when i bought mine used i do have 1 year of Applecare left, if those prices are right then you're getting quite a deal.
     
  24. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2004
    #24
    Hi,

    How do you like your 2.33? Do you find it speedy enough?

    It says 4gb in the profiler, but I guess it only uses 3gb?
     
  25. Geffen macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2007
    Location:
    Michigan
    #25
    I like my 2.33 and its fast enough for my use, the 2.33 does max out at 3GB of ram so i would get the 2.2 or 2.4 if your looking to gain another 1GB of ram
     

Share This Page