Which MacBook -- the 13" 2.26 GHz or 2.53 GHz???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vardamir, Jun 24, 2009.

1. vardamir macrumors newbie

I will probably order a new MacBook Pro in the next 2 days. After much thought, I have concluded that the 13" would be best for me at this time as I already have an 8-core mac pro and so don't need anything terribly powerful (or large).

I would have gone with the 2.53 GHz, but then wondered what difference the extra 0.27 GHz is going to make in practical terms? It's only 12% faster, so does this mean it would take 12% longer to render videos in Final Cut, for instance? So instead of taking 5 minutes to render something on the 2.53 GHz, it would take 5 minutes and 36 seconds on the 2.26 GHz? This is not much difference at all.

On that note, while I do most of my video work on the Mac Pro, I thought it would be nice to have a portable option to store videos and photos when I photograph and film on location. I can only imagine myself doing a minimal amount of video and photo editing on the MacBook (such as assembling very rough cuts that require very little rendering) -- but most of the real work would be completed back at home on the Mac Pro.

Also on the issue of HD video editing, which is mainly what I'll be doing -- I have been using a cousin's late 2008 13" unibody MacBook (it's the 2.0 GHz with just 2 GB of ram) and am astounded at how well it handles 1080p quicktime video imported directly from the camera's SDHC card into the timeline. (I'm using JVC's new GY-HM100 camera, btw, which records native Quicktime movies at 35 Mbps onto SDHC cards, which will work really well with the new SD slot MacBooks). I can scrub the playhead across the timeline smoothly and even unrendered transitions (such as dissolves) play back with no issues. And all of this is with 35 Mbps footage! So this had me thinking that I probably don't need the 2.53 GHz MacBook Pro if a 2 GHz MacBook with just 2 GB of ram can handle it quite well.

So I will most likely buy the 2.26 GHz version unless someone can convince me of the extra benefit of the 2.53 GHz (and part of me secretly wants the "bigger" option even if it makes no huge difference, lol).

2. cababah macrumors 68000

Nobody here will convince you to get the 2.53 GHz...it is marketing by numbers as you will not see a significant difference in the speeds on day-to-day tasks.

The wise choice seems to be to buy the base 2.26 GHz and upgrade the RAM/HD yourself.

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

To the OP, I mean this with all sincerity....there are at least 4 threads (excluding yours) in the last 3 days asking this same question. Please use the search function.

4. montblanc1 macrumors member

It seems that the macbook air suits you better based on your description

since you have already own a powerful mac pro, and portability is of vital importance, MBA could not be a better choice for you !

If you do not care about your money, you can purchase the 2.13 GHZ one, whose SSD hardware would definitely perform to satisfy your daily needs

5. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

I agree, check out the MBA

6. napalmit macrumors newbie

I would say buy the 2.26, upgrade the ram and the hdd. This would give you a bump and still be cheaper than the 2.53.

These are the ones that this forum seems to agree is the best(I just installed mine today and love it)

Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT 500GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s HDD:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136314

Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 Ram:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148191

Like I said, I just installed this and its remarkably fast and $150 cheaper than buying the 2.53.

Hope this helps :D

7. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

@ vardamir Go to your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Reseller and try th 13-inch before you buy it. That's all I'm going to say. ;)

8. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I agree with everything you said. In fact I have the same memory and hdd sitting here at home waiting. The 2.26 13" mbp should be delivered here tomorrow or friday.

9. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

2.26 all the way.

Convince me that you HAVE TO HAVE the 2.53 and I'll tell you that you're buying the wrong machine to begin with.

10. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Go with your inner 'wants'! Get the faster unit! You will just plain feel better about it every time you use it (even if there is no perceptible difference in speed for everyday use....)

11. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I would go with the MacBook over the MBA:
    1. You're using a video camera that records to SDHC - the MBP has an SD slot, the Air does not. You'd have to carry an external SD card reader with you with the Air.
    2. The MBP's RAM can be upgraded, the Air's cannot. While 2GB might be enough to handle your needs, I'd rather have the expandability.
    3. The MBP gets better battery life - valuable in the field.
    4. The MBP has a FireWire port - you could more easily record right from the Camera to the local HDD using something like Adobe OnLocation.
    5. It's easier to upgrade the MBP's hard drive than the Air's.
    6. You can also replace the optical drive with another HDD if you so desire.

12. mike1123 macrumors 6502

What a true statement. I read the first part, and I was about to argue my case, but the other bottlenecks of the 13" become apparent for those who need that kind of processing power.

13. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Say more, say more!! ;)

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I bought the 2.26 and put my money in a fast SSD and 4GB RAM. The real bottleneck is the HD.

15. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

This is the user that bought a 13" Pro and then realized the screen was too small. Which is not to say that their advice is bad, but that an intelligent shopper will probably choose size first, and then decide which model of that size second.

I've not regretted choosing my 13" MB for a second. Absolutely perfect mobile machine, imo.

16. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

;) I just don't think purchasing a MBP online without seeing the screen quality / resolution / actual size is a good idea.

Best to go to an Apple Store with a friend and do the squint test and if you're squinting at the screen - it's too small.

17. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Reading and comprehension, do you posses these skills? :D

I never actually said I bought the 13-inch MBP at all. I was close but then I visited an Apple Authorized Reseller and I'm glad I did. It's not a good MBP for me.

If you want to sling mud, maybe get your facts wrong. As far as name calling. Sticks and stones mate, sticks and stones.

18. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

:rolleyes: I was going by memory. Sue me. Or get over yourself - I never called you any names, and in fact said that your advice was sound. But hey, why let that stop you from treating someone on the internet like crap?

19. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

This whole post should be stickied.

Oh, and please go to the Apple Store to actually see the 13" MBP. Trust me; you don't want to blindly buy online. Try it out in-store and decide which you want.

Happy shopping!

20. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

:D I'm not a litigious person so we're square. But it's not great saying someone is making less than intelligent decisions based on a wrong assumption / memory, meh. Who really cares. Thanks for clearing things up.

21. vardamir thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your replies.

I actually did all that, and I've read those threads relating to the differences (or lack thereof) between the 2.26 and 2.53 GHz models. However I wanted a response tailored to my specific requirements of in-the-field video editing (including some rendering), and thankfully most of you gave the response I required to help me choose which model to get.

So it looks like I'll just get the 2.26 GHz stock model and upgrade the RAM and HD myself. I think I'll probably get the 500 GB Western Digital 5200 rpm because that will bring even more value-for-money when compared with the Apple prices.

MacAndy, as for trying out the 13" myself, well I've been doing that for the last week or so with my cousin's 13" (as I stated in my previous post), and I found the screen size quite adequate for very basic video editing work and data acquisition. This computer will not be my main work station, so I don't need anything bigger.

Montblanc, a week ago I briefly considered getting a MBA, but within 5 minutes of that brief consideration, I realised all of those things that Demosthenes noted above (except I didn't know you could install a second hard drive in place of the optical in the MBP -- very interesting to know).

22. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Check out their website. It's a product I'm very interested in, although I don't need the extra space at the moment. There are a fair number of threads here on the forums about it, and it seems like a very good product. Lots of possibilities... RAID setups, SSD boot drive/HDD storage drive, etc. And effect on battery life and heat seems negligible.

23. sadatkarim macrumors member

Really? I'd imagine that an SSD wouldn't affect the battery/heat much, but even a standard mechanical drive doesn't either?

24. MacCurry macrumors 6502

If you're going to do any sort of video editing, get the 2.53 GHz. It will make a difference and with Snow Leopard probably even more so.

25. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

The 2.26ghz will be fine. Save the money and upgrade to 4gb ram and a nice SSD.