Which mail app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by WhiteWhaleHolyGrail, Dec 8, 2016.

1. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

In light of the TB/Mail compose bug (http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mail-tb-glitch.2019463/) I have switched to Spark as my default mail app. It's a great alternative except for the fact that it doesn't allow you to save a default font for new e-mails.

What do you guys use and why?

Thanks.

2. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

I agree it would be nice to be able to set a default font in Spark, but in the end it's largely pointless because people can (and do) set their email programs to display all emails in specific fonts/sizes anyway.

3. Jerry Raia macrumors regular

Jerry Raia

4. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

I'm trying out Spark now, and I've been using Outlook for work, both iOS and OSX. I'm far from an expert though because I still can't figure out which I like better. I have the flexibility to use any of them as clients for personal or work, but I haven't come to any conclusion. I want to hear from people too. Why do you use one over the others? What is the killer feature that one has that others don't? They are all different. I can't say that I prefer one over the other or even over the default mail app. Is it just me? I used email a lot. For personal, I mostly am clearing "offers" to a folder, so swiping to clear is good. For work it's mostly reading, replying and/or moving to a folder again. The annoying thing is that moving within the message itself is never as easy as doing it from the inbox. Is it just me? Do I have issues (beyond my normal issues)?

5. Rdejesus486 macrumors member

Polymail, because its amazing.

6. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail thread starter macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

It's very hard to distinguish the pros and cons of each mail client without using them thoroughly. I was enjoying using spark until I realised I couldn't save my fonts - this was really a pain with the signatures I had set up as I had to either manually change the font of the main body to match every time or use the generic font for the signature.

I'm currently testing Newton mail. It has a beautifully clean UI and some unique features like embedded read receipts that aren't dependent on the recipient providing the receipt. The major downside is that you have to pay a yearly subscription fee which is a joke really. Another niggle is that you can't change the notification sound - apparently they are working on this though.

I'd be interested to hear what others use and why too...

7. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

Yeah, I'm not interested in paying if there are so many good ones for free. Unless of course there is some big feature that I didn't know I needed. Clean UI and read receipts aren't a priority for me. Hope others chime in on experiences.

8. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail thread starter macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

I should also add that a huge problem with Spark is that it doesn't seem to operate at server level with sent mail i.e. I sent mail via my iCloud account and this didn't appear in the sent boxes of my other devices and/or the iCloud server. Odd!

9. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

That sounds like icloud setting? But if it's working on other email clients, maybe not. I don't use icloud so I can't comment for sure. It seems to work fine on my gmail and yahoo clouds which are server too, no?

10. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail thread starter macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

I thought that but it's working fine with other e-mail clients...