Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I agree it would be nice to be able to set a default font in Spark, but in the end it's largely pointless because people can (and do) set their email programs to display all emails in specific fonts/sizes anyway.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
I'm trying out Spark now, and I've been using Outlook for work, both iOS and OSX. I'm far from an expert though because I still can't figure out which I like better. I have the flexibility to use any of them as clients for personal or work, but I haven't come to any conclusion. I want to hear from people too. Why do you use one over the others? What is the killer feature that one has that others don't? They are all different. I can't say that I prefer one over the other or even over the default mail app. Is it just me? I used email a lot. For personal, I mostly am clearing "offers" to a folder, so swiping to clear is good. For work it's mostly reading, replying and/or moving to a folder again. The annoying thing is that moving within the message itself is never as easy as doing it from the inbox. Is it just me? Do I have issues (beyond my normal issues)?

Reactions: WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2016
I'm trying out Spark now, and I've been using Outlook for work, both iOS and OSX. I'm far from an expert though because I still can't figure out which I like better. I have the flexibility to use any of them as clients for personal or work, but I haven't come to any conclusion. I want to hear from people too. Why do you use one over the others? What is the killer feature that one has that others don't? They are all different. I can't say that I prefer one over the other or even over the default mail app. Is it just me? I used email a lot. For personal, I mostly am clearing "offers" to a folder, so swiping to clear is good. For work it's mostly reading, replying and/or moving to a folder again. The annoying thing is that moving within the message itself is never as easy as doing it from the inbox. Is it just me? Do I have issues (beyond my normal issues)?

It's very hard to distinguish the pros and cons of each mail client without using them thoroughly. I was enjoying using spark until I realised I couldn't save my fonts - this was really a pain with the signatures I had set up as I had to either manually change the font of the main body to match every time or use the generic font for the signature.

I'm currently testing Newton mail. It has a beautifully clean UI and some unique features like embedded read receipts that aren't dependent on the recipient providing the receipt. The major downside is that you have to pay a yearly subscription fee which is a joke really. Another niggle is that you can't change the notification sound - apparently they are working on this though.

I'd be interested to hear what others use and why too...

Last edited:

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
It's very hard to distinguish the pros and cons of each mail client without using them thoroughly. I was enjoying using spark until I realised I couldn't save my fonts - this was really a pain with the signatures I had set up as I had to either manually change the font of the main body to match every time or use the generic font for the signature.

I'm currently testing Newton mail. It has a beautifully clean UI and some unique features like embedded read receipts that aren't dependent on the recipient providing the receipt. The major downside is that you have to pay a yearly subscription fee which is a joke really. Another niggle is that you can't change the notification sound - apparently they are working on this though.

I'd be interested to hear what others use and why too...
Yeah, I'm not interested in paying if there are so many good ones for free. Unless of course there is some big feature that I didn't know I needed. Clean UI and read receipts aren't a priority for me. Hope others chime in on experiences.

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2016
Yeah, I'm not interested in paying if there are so many good ones for free. Unless of course there is some big feature that I didn't know I needed. Clean UI and read receipts aren't a priority for me. Hope others chime in on experiences.

I should also add that a huge problem with Spark is that it doesn't seem to operate at server level with sent mail i.e. I sent mail via my iCloud account and this didn't appear in the sent boxes of my other devices and/or the iCloud server. Odd!

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
I should also add that a huge problem with Spark is that it doesn't seem to operate at server level with sent mail i.e. I sent mail via my iCloud account and this didn't appear in the sent boxes of my other devices and/or the iCloud server. Odd!
That sounds like icloud setting? But if it's working on other email clients, maybe not. I don't use icloud so I can't comment for sure. It seems to work fine on my gmail and yahoo clouds which are server too, no?

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2016
That sounds like icloud setting? But if it's working on other email clients, maybe not. I don't use icloud so I can't comment for sure. It seems to work fine on my gmail and yahoo clouds which are server too, no?

I thought that but it's working fine with other e-mail clients...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.