which MBP 13 or 17?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tim100, May 11, 2010.

?

MBP 13 or 17

Poll closed May 25, 2010.
  1. 13 MBP

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. 17 MBP

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. tim100 macrumors 65816

please vote in poll 13 MBP 2.4 or 17 i5. battery or screen/resolution

factors
    1) user already has 27 inch imac and ipad
    2) does not travel much
    3) does not have high end power requirements so i7 is not needed but better battery life is wanted
    4) price difference between 13 to 17 does not matter
    5) does not want a 15 wants to try something new

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I'd get 13" as 17" is not as portable and has worse battery life.

3. skiltrip macrumors 68030

13" for me. 17" kind of takes the portability out of the laptop. I love my 13". Someday I might end up getting a 15", but it's safe to say I'll never want a 17" MBP. Just too big for the way I use it... on my lap, on the couch, at work, downstairs, upstairs, on the deck, at the in-laws, etc. I bring this thing everywhere.

4. swish2351 macrumors 6502

Honestly for your factors, I would say the 15" i5 is perfect for you, but if you want to be close-minded about it, so be it. I guess go with the 13" but the 15" i5 would definitely be perfect for you.

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I'm curious why you want a laptop. You don't travel and you don't need a high powered machine. It seems to me that your iMac and iPad setup suits you well.

6. underblu macrumors regular

I have a 17" and the Hi res AG screen is just fantastic. I can take my work with me outside on a sunny day with no problem. As far as weight and heft go I find the 17" to be slim light and very easy to cary around. I take it with me everywhere and the lengthier body actually disperses the weight across my lap better than my friends white MB.

So get the 17, it's all you will need and you can take it anywhere. It's a high def, high performing powerhouse that is still slim and light especially in anti-glare guise.

7. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

All laptops are a compromise between power, size, weight, quality, cost & features.

The 13" wins on weight and cost.
    The 17" wins on everything else.

You've asked us to ignore so many of the parameters that go into deciding which laptop to buy that it's almost impossible to make a decision.

But since you've asked us to ignore portability and cost... then I'd choose the 17" as those are it's only drawbacks over the 13" mbp.

8. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

I was a bit skeptical (before the purchase) but after using my 13" MBP I'm quite satisfied with the 'size' issue.

JMO, but unless you need an expresscard slot I think the negatives out way the positives when it comes to the 17".

cheers
    JohnG

9. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

I understand but cost is not important. Would consider an air if they would update it. Not a power user but generally buys the best or close to best in electronics.

10. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

If you're want an air, and you can stand waiting a few more weeks, do.

Other than that, xlii summed it up perfectly. Get the 17" if cost and portability don't matter to you.

11. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

I would look into what you need to do that an ipad plus keyboard does not handle. Is it worth the cost purchasing another device? Is the ipad the 3G model for instance then that give added value in travel.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My only issue is paying a premium for a C2D laptop with the 13" model. for a little more money you'll get a screamer of a machine.

Given your needs, I see little reason to spend the $$ on a 17" model but given how old Core2Duo is and how much faster the i5 is, I'd recommend the 15" MBP.

13. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Bad advice, seeing one of the OP's criteria was that he wants something he doesn't already have, another one was that he doesn't travel much, and lastly he obviously has the money to squander on a new machine and the will to do it.

14. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

You can burn money on a dslr or a hd-videocamera or do anything else creative with money. My point was that you can have fun with money and get creative, make new adventures, interests. Not waste money on the same experience.

15. swish2351 macrumors 6502

Yeah I agree.

16. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

And my point was that OP has obviously already decided to get a new machine, so if or if not he could spend the money on something else is beside the point, don't you think?

17. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

i think alot of people are picking the 15 i5 over the 13 c2d. if the 13 had an i3 i think more on here would have opted for the 13 over the base 15. it seems to me like specs over usefulness. what do you think does the c2d have legs for a few more years?

18. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

how many out there have more than 1 macbook pro? (that would be a good poll)

19. maehara macrumors regular

If price truly doesn't matter and you're not going to be travelling much, go for the 17". I have one as my primary home machine (older model, but still...) and love it - very nice piece of kit, and there's enough power under the hood of the current model that it should last you for quite a while.

20. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

one issue with the 17 is it is kind of big using on couch.

21. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

That's what is holding me back from ordering a 17", just a little too bulky to be really portable. I will probably try a 15" i7 MBP hi-res AG and see how it goes. I like the idea of AG, I'm 50-50 if I'll be able to deal with the hi-res/small fonts. Hoping the AG makes text crisp and easier to read than on the hi-res glossy ...

22. Bnikel160 Guest

why not 15? 15 still has the power and a great res, and its still portable

23. maehara macrumors regular

Using mine on the couch right now. :) It's big, but not annoyingly so. Always found lugging it around to be more of a problem - there's enough weight to it that using it as an every-day portable wouldn't be a runner. For me, anyway. Moving it around the house to use wherever is fine, though.

24. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

the issue with the 15 high res ag i had were the battery ran short and the text was small. thats why i exchanged it for the 17. the 17 i7 runs cooller and battery lasts longer than the i7 15. my issue with the 17 is its size. it is not that it is so big you cant move it around or put it on your lap. its just not as easy to surf with on the couch as the smaller mbps.

25. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I have a 13" 2.26 C2D MBP and a 15" i5. Before I bought the 13", just to have another computer around the house, I always bought 15" models. I love the 15" speed, but after using the 13", it feels like I'm carrying a brick house around. I'll likely never buy another 15". I can't imagine the 17". Might as well just buy a 21" iMac. Seriously, go for the 13". Great machine -- perfect for the couch or in an airplane. Hopefully we'll be seeing an i3 flavor since it seems Apple has resolved the video card issue w/ Intel.