Which MBP are you?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Jun 12, 2009.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

13, 15 or 17" ?

The 13" now getting the "pro" label will no doubt attract a lot of people away from the ordering the 15" and it will likely sway some MacBook Air lovers due to the increased power available.

Aside from the technical glitches that the pro's here are concerned about, such as the 13" having 1.5 sata instead of 3.0.. aside from all that ....

Which size MacBook do you prefer, and why?

For me having once had a 15" MBP and the revB MBA I've decided the new 13" MBP with ACD is the best system for me, this way I can do ALL my work on ONE computer and have the all the power and portability I need.

2. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Right now I use a 15" but my next MBP will be a 17"... I'd like the extra screen real-estate to use xcode and have multiple terminal windows all on one screen.

3. canglan macrumors newbie

canglan

I was using a 15" MBP (+ external display) and a 13" MBA.

And now I'm enjoying my new 13" MBP.

Perfect balance between features and portability. :)

4. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

cool! I'm glad to hear that's working out for you, I'm in the process of doing exactly the same thing, can't wait until my 13" MBP arrives !!

5. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

I like the 15" model mostly for the screen size but the added power of the video chips is pretty cool. All in all I like it a lot over the 12" PB G4 I used to have.

6. Ploki macrumors 68020

15"
    main reason was firewire... ;D but i rarely use external screen so extra screen real estate is very welcome. id buy a 15" again, and the next one will be 15".

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I like the power and screen real estate that's available on a 17". However, I think I need a second computer, for portability, in the form of a tablet. ;)

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have the late 2008 MBP model, and I think its an awesome computer. I had an incredibly difficult time deciding between the MBP and the then 13" MB.

The MBP (at the time) had a better display panel, it also offered two GPUs, more cache, and vram so I opted for the 2.53 MPB. In hindsight, I think I would have been very happy with the MB and even happier I spent a grand less but I have no buyers remorse. Partly because the 15" has more screen real estate.

I have no idea what I'll buy in the future because my plan is to hold on to this puppy for years.

9. pik. macrumors 6502

pik.

I have the 15inch 2.5GHz Penryn early MBP with matte screen...

I m in love with le 17 inch unibody!

not so much bigger than the new 15 3usbs expresscard AND a gorgeus display where i can open 2 pdfs easily!

for my needs is ideal!:D

antiglare of course...

I only use one computer not fan of multiple config and i travel 6 times a year so 17 for me is ideal...

10. cube macrumors G5

I was always interested in the 12" PowerBook, but I never bought it because it didn't have a PCMCIA slot.

Seeing that know they crippled the 15", I snatched a prev gen yesterday before one is out of a relatively portable option.

11. Skika macrumors 68030

Previuosly i had the whitebook but it was too small for me. The 15" is the best in terms of screen size, portability and power.

I'm looking to buy an MBA in the future as my second machine just for internet/mail.

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Definitely the MBP 15" Classic 2.5 w/250GB for me. I love the matte screen, the multiple ports, speed, power and the portability. One of the most reliable computers I've ever owned. Can't stand the idea of everything enclosed and inaccessible. Owned two MacBook Airs and swear I'll NEVER own another one, unless they are GIVING them away......:eek::eek::eek:

13. John89 macrumors regular

Definitely 15". As much as I love the size of the 13", there just isnt enough screen space. Saying that, if I get my hands on a big display for home I would reconsider.

Out of the 15" range I would get the base model with the 9400m.

14. sneeks macrumors 6502a

15. tektonik macrumors newbie

I have the 17" unibody with antiglare screen, which is ideal for the graphics work that I do. I absolutely love the antiglare screen with the silver bevel for sheer aesthetics alone. I hope that they add the antiglare option to other models in the future, I want a smaller laptop for traveling but I'm not crazy about the black bevel "glassy" look. I am considering the Air since it is less glassy than other models, and for the fact that they're cutting the price.

16. PDE macrumors 68020

I have a wonderful 3-month old 15" unibody BUT I'd love to have the new 13" unibody. I think the 13" is the perfect portable computer with almost no compromises for the size. Finally.

17. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

+1 for the classic 15" MBP

I had a 13" White book before and the extra 2 inches of my MBP don't make much of a difference in portability. But the extra screen size was one of the reason why I opted for a 15" notebook as a replacement of my MB.

18. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  19. sharpblade1986 macrumors newbie

I have the 17' version. I also like the 13' version because of portability. 15' version hasn't enough resolution for me. When we have a 1680*1050 MBP15, I will like it too.

20. SaintsMac macrumors 6502a

New to the Mac World

I just picked up a 13" from Best Buy yesterday. This is my first real look at the Mac World. I have to say that I am liking what I see so far!

Do you guys have any suggestions for a newbie-other than this great site, of course? ;)

21. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

The 17", hands down.

It's not nearly as big and cumbersome as everyone says... up until this morning I had only seen pictures of it, but when I got my hands on the real thing I was like "WTF is everyone on about?" At first I wasn't even sure whether it was the 17" or the 15" (they only had a MacBook Air and a MBP 17" on display so I had no frame of reference), it looked no bigger than my 15" laptop. The 17" is *not* the gartantuan desktop replacement some make it out to be. It's one inch wider than the 15" Dell laptop I'm typing on now, but it weighs the same and it's considerably thinner.

ExpressCard slot, an extra USB port, matte option, and most importantly 1920x1200. I would never work on a 1440x900 screen and it's bizarre that Apple refuses to offer a 1680x1050 option on the 15". Dell has offered that option on everything, including their cheap consumer Inspiron laptops, for about 6 years. 1440x900/15" is consumer-grade (or for visually impaired professionals). It makes the lineup inconsistent since the 1920x1200 has 133 pixels per inch, but the 15" has 110 per inch. With 1680x1050 it would be 129 per inch, very close to the 17" model. I've been wondering about this for years, but the best excuse I can come up with on Apple's behalf is "because Steve Jobs wears glasses". I think people should be able to choose 1440x900 if they want to, but why can't 1680x1050 even be an option? If Dell can offer it on $1000 computers, why can't Apple do it on a MacBook "Pro"?

22. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

If I were to do it all over, I'd get the 17" MBP. I don't really travel around a whole lot with this computer and really could use the extra screen space. The high-res screen is gorgeous.

23. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

interesting, more fans of the 17" than I expected, screen is big and beautiful for sure.

24. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Former 2.0 MacBook user. Now a 13" MBP user. I like the 13" model better because it's much more affordable, and it's portable.

25. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I was a 15", now I'm a 13". The 15" was using a T series processor which annoyed me, and it did seem significantly larger than the 13". I'm going to be lugging this thing to school every day so the size does matter.

I also thought I'd be happy with the 15 for the better gaming performance with the discrete card. One interesting thing to note is that even the 9600m is not spectacular when it comes to gaming. The Crysis demo only worked very smoothly on low resolution. When I realized that, I realized that paying $500 more to do something a system was not really meant for was stupid. I'll just keep using my xbox for the heavy gaming stuff.