Which MBP screen for these circumstances?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Aug 21, 2010.

?

Screen size for a main, 6+hours a day, go everywhere, use anywhere notebook?

1. 13"

27 vote(s)
    26.5%
  2. 15"

66 vote(s)
    64.7%
  3. 17"

9 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Which MacBook Pro screen size would you choose for the following?

- Viewing 6 or more hours daily, not hooked up to external display.

- Will be my main computer.

- Used for work and entertainment, heavy emailing, use of iWorks software, light photo and video editing, surfing, no gaming.

- Will go with me nearly everywhere, home, office, cottage, travel. Used on desk, heavily on couch, deck, kitchen, bed, cafe.

- Price not a factor.

13, 15, or 17" screen, please vote in the Poll.

Thanks.

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

3. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

if ur gonna carry it alot u cant go wrong with a 15" High res. If u dont mind the bulk 17" is where its at

4. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Definetelly 15", 13" is too small for your needs and 17" doesn't fit on most cafe tables. I have a 15" that goes with me everywhere, not bulk at all.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

6. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

15" HR AG with i7, 8GB RAM and 500 GB HDD (512 GB SSD if price is really no issue).

This will be a very powerful machine for your purposes.

7. tim100 macrumors 65816

why not 17 i7 ag, thats what i have not that much bigger than a 15. if you want portable 13 is the best size. 17 eliminates the need of an external monitor

8. Blues003 macrumors 6502

Either 13'' or 15''. I didn't vote because I'm in the exact same situation and I do not know which one to choose. :\

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I use my 13" MacBook Pro all day everyday as my main computer for much of the same stuff as you do. It doesn't strain your eyes, and there is enough space on the screen to do some decent stuff. Light video and picture editing is a breeze on the 13". Its also VERY light, do you can take it anywhere and move it around easily :D

Good luck!

10. Blues003 macrumors 6502

Can you read Powerpoint, Word, and PDF files hours and hours without end? Isn't it too little?

11. Loptimist macrumors member

15" is heavy and big to carry around and place on a small table/desk; personally vaio z is the best, but if you'd stick to osx, then 13" mbp will do fine.

12. tim100 macrumors 65816

if money is not a factor

why not a i7 17 inch? you would not pick a 13 inch with a c2d over a i7? he said price is not a factor then why not a i7 and why not 17 ag.

13. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I hear you :) I'm never so split on a decision as I am with notebook computers.

I love the screen on the 15 and 17" MBP's, but the weight/size of the 13" is really appealing too.

For long hours use, yes I'd rather be looking at a larger screen on the other hand for moving around, using on your lap the 13" is perfect ...

14. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

17" is gargantuan.

The 15" at least fits on a college auditorium desk, and plane tray table. I wouldn't want a 17" on my lap for fear of losing my legs. A 15" fits with juuuuust a little room left on a starbucks/panera 2 top. A 17" and you won't have room for your coffee.

I am biased but that is because I had to go through the same questionings..13" or 15"? I had both for a while and decided it was too cramped to do photoshopping and video editing and watching webcasts while taking notes, and multitasking on a 13". The glossy also killed my eyes. There fore, the HR AG was the only way to go.

15. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

In your position, I would buy a base model 13 inch MBP and upgrade it with 8Gb of RAM and an SSD. The 13 inch has the longest battery life in the MBP lineup and is also smaller and lighter than the larger models. Given that you will have your computer with you almost all of the time but have no apps that are particularly demanding graphically, it seems to me that the 13 inch will give you the most comfortable user experience as well as more bang for the buck than either a 15 or 17 inch MBP.

16. DKYang macrumors newbie

Since you say you will be traveling around a lot, I would also have to recommend the 15" AG (Hi-Res is your choice and in my opinion, I don't think you need it). But, when reading the places you will be going to go to with the laptop. Perhaps the 13" is a better choice. I know you said you won't use an external monitor, but whenever you need one, you can always use it at home. Otherwise, carry the 13" around everywhere you go.

17. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

Back to one main computer > 13" MBP & 24" ACD |iPad 3G 64gb | iPhone 4 | TC | Server
    Former: 15" MBP, MacBook Air, Sony Z, T500, T400, x301, Latitude(s), Mac Pro, iMac, BB Bold
    Last edited by entatlrg : Today at 12:33 PM.

Am I reading this right? You already own a 13"...used to own a 15"... yet you need to ask other people which size you should buy?

Don't you think your own personal experience with these machines already give you enough info to figure it out for yourself?

Most people probably only have 1 MBP for themselves yet you've had experience with 2....

What am I missing here?

18. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Are you reading this right?

It's a conversational forum, take it easy.

I've had experience with a lot of notebooks, as have many on this forum. It's not uncommon for people to go back and forth from a 13 to a 15 or even a 17 over time.

I've used both the 13 and 15" MBP, sure like the 15" screen for editing a photo or working on a large document. When I'm out or lounging on the couch I like the size of a 13".

I'm working towards using one computer, there's a lot of trade off's I didn't expect. So, I was wondering just for fun what others in my situation would choose.

Is that okay with you 3lionsbecks? :rolleyes:

19. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

wow...nice response. yeah, its okay with me.

You're thread is pointless (of course based on your info and options the 15" is the logical answer as reflected in the poll results) but as long as it amuses you thats fine.

And relax with the internet attitude big guy. We're both from Waterloo so no need to be a total douche about it.

20. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I used to be all about the 13'', but honestly the specs are falling behind the times. The 15'' is nice, you have a Core i5, better GPU and much better screen resolution(highly recommend to go for a upgrade for screen resolution)

21. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

OP is a Demi-God. He can do what he wants. :rolleyes:

You brought on the internet attitude 3lionbecks. Just let then guy ask his question. If it bugs you so much, PM him, or don't open this thread.

22. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Thanks, really good points above ^ . The ideal would be a 15" MacBook Air :)

Good arguments in favor of the 13" and the 15" MBP with the AG screen.

Two reasons I'm leaning towards trying the 15" AG, in my case carrying a bigger / heavier computer may be a good idea, a little more exercise never hurts :) Also, more screen real estate may lend itself to greater productivity and that's a plus.

So perhaps choosing the 15" has more true benefit than the enjoyment you get from carrying and using the compact and light 13" MBP?

On the other hand, it's like a camera. For many the 'best camera money can buy' is the one that you'll have with you at all times when you need it. For the average person the DSLR's often sit at home and aren't with you when you want it. That's the reason I'm not considering the 17", it's just large enough that you may not 'want' to bring it with you often. The idea of having an iPad as a companion to a large notebook isn't the answer either, I want power on the go and be able to type/create content quickly.

23. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I agree with zap2. The 13" is really falling behind with the new core processors. That and, the screen will just leave you wanting (less gloss, more space). If you are really going to use this as an all in one machine, then the 15" will be more than enough for you to run your apps. You just have to carry it around and even then - it is not bad. I am a 5'0" tiny asian girl and I carry my 15" everywhere. If I can do it.. you can too :p

24. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

True Peapody. I've read some of your other posts, you seem well organized, you've traveled some distance with your 15" too. If I remember correctly you use an Incase bag?

25. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Haha..sorry for this long post.

I noticed you owned the X301 and the MBA (I have too, along with a 13" macbook, and a 15" MBP both unibody and non). I buy and sell lots of computers (mostly Asus and Apple) so they go through my possession a lot.

I used the x301 mostly for school because it is a windows machine, and that 13" screen size is ideal. It doesn't block the people behind me at all but to be fair it is the same way with the 15". Once I got my 15" MBP (nonunibody) however, I FELL IN LOVE WITH THE ABILITY TO MULTITASK. People will say spaces helps etc, but its annoying to flip from space to space when you have webcasted lectures on one side of the screen and notes you are typing up on the other. Eventually I used the macbook pro so much I took that to class everyday for a while and then alternated bringing the 13" notebooks and the 15" to mix it up.

I don't think you are in school so this part might be of more use for you. Pretty much all of the circumstances you listed in your OP, I have done with the exception of taking to a cottage - never been to one!

After classes were over, and rotations began (I am in pharmacy school) I had to start bringing a computer every day to work. I work at different hospitals and regularly go on rounds and give presentations and do spreadsheets and etc. I also had to do a lot of photoshop work and brochure design for various projects. So eventually I weeded out the x301 (and with that the MBA and 13" macbook because of screen real estate and even LOWER resolution). Now at these hospitals I do not have an office but even so, the 15" has been working great for me so far! ; Sometimes I had to sit in my boss's office with my computer on my lap for hours at a time taking notes and developing ppts. I also had to cram myself in a corner of retail pharmacies with my computer, and there is no space back there at all. No problem. I also started investing more into my current 15" because it started to become my extra limb. I purchased retail Windows 7 and Creative Suites for it. Purchased SSD for it. Purchased extra ac adapter for it. It went with me everywhere. I take it to starbucks and panera where I study and do work, and it fits on those tables just fine. I just took it home from Baltimore to San Jose, CA and back - and surprisingly it fit comfortably on the tray table haha. My 15" is now my main computer, and I don't even connect it to another monitor (I have an iMac for media center purposes only).

Additionally - in bed it is a joy to use and do work on lol, as you can see from the attached pic.

So having gone through using the 13" and 15" extensively as a travel computer, I don't think I could go back mostly because of that screen. Not only is the res too low, its too small for me. I had the incase messenger in medium, and that is an amazing bag. If you own a dslr - it is perfect for the dslr and then 15"mbp. I sold off the bag because I eventually found a really nice slim bag that holds the essentials without looking too much like a laptop bag. Also, the thinner light weight material of my new bag seriously cut down the thought that I was "lugging" my computer around. If you are going to travel with the 15" I suggest getting something on the slimmer lighter side, and it will seem like nothing carrying it around. In addition, I carried my 15" in a women's professional tote with ease.

So in conclusion, it is perfectly possible and not totally uncomfortable to make your 15" a travel machine. I guess no matter which size you choose - just go all out with it and choose the right bag.

Attached Files: