Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sukion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Hey Everyone,

So my current situation is that I'm going to sell my 2010 15'' 2.66ghz i7 Macbook pro for roughly $1500 (Good deal?) and I'm looking to upgrade to the newer 2011 models. I would honestly love to go for the high end 15'' again because I like having my electronics lasting me a long time. But would it be worth spending that extra ~$500 (after Education discount) for it?

I most likely won't bring it out anywhere with me cause my current setup for this macbook is that it's hooked to a display as my "Desktop" computer. I have a 2011 11'' MBA as my "on the go" computer so I don't think I'll need to lug the 15'' around anymore at all.

I'll be using the computer for school mostly (Civil Engineering major) and I've started to use AutoCAD for classes. I also do some photo edits on the side as a hobby but I'm not really that good yet, although I would love to get better. I don't particulary game cause I prefer gaming on consoles.

Any suggestions would be helpful =)

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
You may get a Mac Mini instead. It appears that either a dual-core 2.7 MHz i7 or a quad-core 2.0 MHz i7 is acceptable. You must upgrade the HDD(s) to the 7200 RPM HDD(s) or SSD(s).

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
1) Why are you going through all of that trouble when you have a year old computer?

2) For pricing, look at what Apple sells their refurbs for and go under that: people are going to look at your machine and then compare to Apple which gives a year warranty on top of a virtually "new" machine.

You also have to look at C2D refurbs and iCore refurbs; shoot under the C2D refurb. However, why are you trying to sell and get a new machine anyway?

ColdFlame87

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2004
Woodland Hills, CA
From what I read it appears you're not going to be moving the Macbook pro at all, in that case I highly recommend just getting an iMac or Mac Mini. You already have a mobile computer why get another just to have it sit on your desktop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.