Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
Here's the list of retailers that currently form MCX
http://i.imgur.com/InK0MVX.png

Never heard of:
ACME Fresh Market
Alon
Bahama Breeze
buy buy Baby
The Capital Grille
Christmas Tree Shops
Concoco
Dillard's
Eddie V's
Face Values
GetGo
Giant Eagle
HMS Host
HyVee
K (edit, I thought that stood for Kmart but apparently it stands for something else)
Kum & Go
Longhorn Steakhouse
Maggiano's
Meijer
Michaels
Philips 66
Price Rite
Publix
QT
RaceTrac
Rite Aid
Seasons (something I can't even read s2?)
Sheetz
ShopRite
Sundco (can't tell if its an d or o)
Wawa
Yard House

I'm not sorry but that's like 95%+ of MCX. I can't see how CurrentC is going to succeed. 95%+ I have never seen in the Bay Area or are too little I don't even care.

Obviously the big ones are:
Best Buy
Target
Walmart

Thought it was pretty funny. Apple Pay may have a smaller selection with like 7 stores part of Foot Locker but I unlike MCX, I got to 90% of Apple Pay's current supported stores.

Hope they add:
- Chipotle (said in meeting that they we're in talks and interested, not yet committed until 2015 because they're building a brand new iOS app)
- Trader Joes (seems like the type of consumer friendly business that would support Apple Pay, Whole Foods already does)
- Burger King / In N Out / Jack in the Box (not that I eat there much, but they'll want to compete with McDonalds)
- Better food places (Five Guys, Wing stop, Krispy Kreme, Ike's, etc. I could see these jump on Apple Pay too)
- Home Depot (good chance that it will support Apple Pay, since they got hacked and it advantage agains't Lowes)
- REI (seems like the type of store that could do it, they already support Passbook)
- More Sport Stadiums (Apple has pretty good relationship with MLB, also Levi's Stadium already supports it)

Basically, the future of Apple Pay is looking pretty damn bright.

jpeg42

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Orygun
LOL! These stores don't exist in my one West Coast city, so why should anyone care?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Is the current state of Apple innovations so small that people are really this hyped/infuriated over a pre-existing POS implementation??

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I've heard of almost all of them, because I've lived in, or visited extensively, pretty much all of continental North America.

There are probably fewer than five in the consortium that I haven't at least heard of.

It's Sunoco (a gas station), and the K is Circle K, a popular convenience store mostly in the Midwest. Think 7-11. Oh, and the Seasons thing might be Seasons 52, a restaurant chain (that is expanding into SoCal).

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
LOL! These stores don't exist in my one West Coast city, so why should anyone care?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Is the current state of Apple innovations so small that people are really this hyped/infuriated over a pre-existing POS implementation??

I agree, Apple hasn't been innovative for a long drought, and all Apple has been doing is catching up, so I guess Apple Pay something Apple fans love, but NFC has already been around for a while now. Just like large screens, LTE, the lists goes on and on and on...

(Flame suit on)

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
I think what people are "infuriated over" is the fact that these companies went to great effort to disable a feature that was beneficial to their customers simply to further their own consumer-hostile agenda.

No one is upset that these companies don't support Apple Pay, they are upset that these companies are actively blocking ALL contactless payments (Google Wallet included) because they're ******** about not being able to spy on every transaction you make - in other words, because the system is TOO secure and TOO convenient.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Never heard of:
ACME Fresh Market
Alon
Bahama Breeze
buy buy Baby
The Capital Grille
Christmas Tree Shops
Concoco
Dillard's
Eddie V's
Face Values
GetGo
Giant Eagle
HMS Host
HyVee
K (edit, I thought that stood for Kmart but apparently it stands for something else)
Kum & Go
Longhorn Steakhouse
Maggiano's
Meijer
Michaels
Philips 66
Price Rite
Publix
QT
RaceTrac
Rite Aid
Sheetz
ShopRite
Wawa
Yard House

I'm not sorry but that's like 95%+ of MCX. I can't see how CurrentC is going to succeed. 95%+ I have never seen in the Bay Area or are too little I don't even care.

Best Buy
Target
Walmart

Thought it was pretty funny. Apple Pay may have a smaller selection with like 7 stores part of Foot Locker but I unlike MCX, I got to 90% of Apple Pay's current supported stores.

Hope they add:
- Chipotle (said in meeting that they we're in talks and interested, not yet committed until 2015 because they're building a brand new iOS app)
- Trader Joes (seems like the type of consumer friendly business that would support Apple Pay, Whole Foods already does)
- Burger King / In N Out / Jack in the Box (not that I eat there much, but they'll want to compete with McDonalds)
- Better food places (Five Guys, Wing stop, Krispy Kreme, Ike's, etc. I could see these jump on Apple Pay too)
- Home Depot (good chance that it will support Apple Pay, since they got hacked and it advantage agains't Lowes)
- REI (seems like the type of store that could do it, they already support Passbook)
- More Sport Stadiums (Apple has pretty good relationship with MLB, also Levi's Stadium already supports it)

Try travelling some, or at least Google. Living in a cave much?

Publix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publix
Publix Super Markets, Inc., commonly known as Publix, is an employee-owned, American supermarket chain based in Lakeland, Florida. Publix operates ...
Number of locations: 1,081 Net income: US$1.552 billion (2012)
Employees: 167,000 (2014)

QT
Number of locations 700
Key people Chet Cadieux, CEO
Revenue $11.2 billion (2013)
Employees 16,746
Website QuikTrip.com

RaceTrac
Number of locations 661
Key people Allison Bolch Moran, CEO
Carl Bolch Jr. Chairman
Employees 5,900+

Capital Grille, Eddie V, Seasons 52(not s2 LOL) and Bahama Breeze is part of Darden group, one of largest resstaurant chains in the US
Revenue US$ $7.999 billion
Employees 200,000[1]
"Darden has more than 2,100 restaurant locations and more than 200,000 employees, making it the world's largest full-service restaurant company."

Meijers
Revenue est. $15 billion USD (2013)
Employees 72,200

Phillips 66
Revenue US$ 171.59 billion (2013)[1]
Employees 13,500 (2013)[1]
Website http://www.phillips66.com

And on and on! these are huge, major retailers...

Target was hacked, still want to cloud your ACH checking acct and SSN for MCX, and shunning ApplePay. So I wouldnt derive anything about HomeDepot based on that.

REI passbook doesnt even do barcode, REI halfassing their mobile apps. New iPad app isnt even universal, and cant read wishlist. Its disappointing.

Last edited:

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012

Never heard of:

Yard House

There's a Yardhouse in San Jose on Santana Row, definitely worth checking out.

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
long ass post

Ok, first calm down. LOL

Like I said, never heard of any of these before. Maybe if they had a store where I lived. Why the hell would I travel to Florida just to go to some store. lol How about they build a store near where I live and can realistically shop? I wouldn't mind visiting their store (probably won't buy anything though now with the whole CurrentC vs Apple Pay thing) but I'll check it out.

I didn't say those stores sucked or were little but I literally haven't heard about them until MCX.

People these days. :rolleyes:

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Ok, first calm down. LOL

Like I said, never heard of any of these before. Maybe if they had a store where I lived. Why the hell would I travel to Florida just to go to some store. lol How about they build a store near where I live and can realistically shop? I wouldn't mind visiting their store (probably won't buy anything though now with the whole CurrentC vs Apple Pay thing) but I'll check it out.

I didn't say those stores sucked or were little but I literally haven't heard about them until MCX.

It's just that if you've traveled in the us you know most of these stores. Wawa? Really? They're big on the east coast. Dillard's is a dept store chain. Meijer is like a super walmart (big in michigan).

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Ok, first calm down. LOL

Probably my frustration at how monstrous and malicious this MCX ******** is.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
Try travelling some, or at least Google. Living in a cave much?

Publix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publix
Publix Super Markets, Inc., commonly known as Publix, is an employee-owned, American supermarket chain based in Lakeland, Florida. Publix operates ...
Number of locations: 1,081 Net income: US$1.552 billion (2012)
Employees: 167,000 (2014)

QT
Number of locations 700
Key people Chet Cadieux, CEO
Revenue $11.2 billion (2013)
Employees 16,746
Website QuikTrip.com

RaceTrac
Number of locations 661
Key people Allison Bolch Moran, CEO
Carl Bolch Jr. Chairman
Employees 5,900+

Capital Grille, Eddie V, Seasons 52(not s2 LOL) and Bahama Breeze is part of Darden group, one of largest resstaurant chains in the US
Revenue US$ $7.999 billion
Employees 200,000[1]
"Darden has more than 2,100 restaurant locations and more than 200,000 employees, making it the world's largest full-service restaurant company."

Meijers
Revenue est. $15 billion USD (2013)
Employees 72,200

Phillips 66
Revenue US$ 171.59 billion (2013)[1]
Employees 13,500 (2013)[1]
Website http://www.phillips66.com

And on and on! these are huge, major retailers...

Target was hacked, still want to cloud your ACH checking acct and SSN for MCX, and shunning ApplePay. So I wouldnt derive anything about HomeDepot based on that.

REI passbook doesnt even do barcode, REI halfassing their mobile apps. New iPad app isnt even universal, and cant read wishlist. Its disappointing.

I've actually heard of most of the MCX companies, which is kind of scary when you think about it and what they are doing with CurrenC. I also have the benefit of living in the Midwest where we get a little bit of everything and I've traveled to the West Coast a few times here in the past few years.

Just to chime in on this list since Meijer is listed. They are huge in the midwest. Biggest in Michigan, but has recently been growing. I believe it was Meijer who gave inspiration fro the Walmart SuperCenter since they are basically the same thing now: Big Box One Stop Shop Stores. Fun thing when tying back to the topic, while they support MCX per the MCX page, they are also not being a jerk, like Rite Aid and CVS, and keeping the EMV token system going. I paid for my Groceries and Gas there yesterday with Apple Pay no problems.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
It's just that if you've traveled in the us you know most of these stores. Wawa? Really? They're big on the east coast. Dillard's is a dept store chain. Meijer is like a super walmart (big in michigan).

In deference to the OP, I live on the east coast, and with the possible (!) exception of Rite Aid (and maybe a Christmas Tree Shop) I have never seen, nor been in any one of the stores on his 'unknown' list.

A.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

Never heard of:
ACME Fresh Market
Alon
Bahama Breeze
buy buy Baby
The Capital Grille
Christmas Tree Shops
Concoco
Dillard's
Eddie V's
Face Values
GetGo
Giant Eagle
HMS Host
HyVee
Kum & Go
Longhorn Steakhouse
Maggiano's
Meijer
Michaels
Philips 66
Price Rite
Publix
QT
RaceTrac
Rite Aid
Sheetz
ShopRite
Wawa
Yard House

Best Buy
Target
Walmart

Hope they add:

Home Depot and Burger King already support it, just not on Apple's list. The "K" thing is Circle K, and they're NFC works as well. Same with a lot of small chain grocery stores.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I think what people are "infuriated over" is the fact that these companies went to great effort to disable a feature that was beneficial to their customers simply to further their own consumer-hostile agenda.

No one is upset that these companies don't support Apple Pay, they are upset that these companies are actively blocking ALL contactless payments (Google Wallet included) because they're ******** about not being able to spy on every transaction you make - in other words, because the system is TOO secure and TOO convenient.

I don't think they're blocking Apple Pay out of spite. I think they may be contractually bound to only offer the MCX option.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
I don't think they're blocking Apple Pay out of spite. I think they may be contractually bound to only offer the MCX option.

That's what I was thinking. But, I just realized that Meijer supports BOTH MCX and Apple Pay, as they are listed as an official partner on Apple's website. It would be incredibly stupid to block NFC while being listed as an official ApplePay partner, so if Meijer does accept both, maybe being contractually bound is not the reason...?

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
That's what I was thinking. But, I just realized that Meijer supports BOTH MCX and Apple Pay, as they are listed as an official partner on Apple's website. It would be incredibly stupid to block NFC while being listed as an official ApplePay partner, so if Meijer does accept both, maybe being contractually bound is not the reason...?
Exactly. Rite Aid and CVS are doing it because they think a few extra nickels will help their upper management get their bonuses. Penny wise and pound foolish.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Is Kum n Go a real thing? Lol

Drive through Iowa sometime.

OP, I've heard of most of these. Giant Eagle is a grocery store chain based out of Pittsburgh with locations throughout the Ohio Valley. Get Go is their gas station chain. It really saddens me that they're in bed with these idiots since they're often the only (much better) game in town besides Walmart or Target. Sheetz is also a really awesome convenience store chain in Western PA. They're known for their MTO sandwiches.

Suffice to say that a lot of these stores are based out of the Mid-Atlantic and Midwest. I've lived in both regions and have been to or seen many of these stores. Yes, many places still have regional businesses that have managed to survive the Walmart takeover. And gas stations are still a very regional thing. Ever been to a Kwik Shop? Not likely. I'm not sure why these regional businesses are joining up with Walmart and their ilk, but it's not likely to work out for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.