Which model of MacBook Pro are use using

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maflynn, Jun 29, 2011.

?

Which model of MacBook Pro are use using

1. 2006 Yonah Core Duo

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  2. 2006 - 2007 Merom C2D

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. 2008 - 2010 penryn C2D

32 vote(s)
    25.4%
  4. 2010 Arrandale i5/i7

19 vote(s)
    15.1%
  5. 2011 Sandy Bridge i5/i7

70 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm curious to know what model of MBP people are using at the moment and as an aside what tasks are you using it. For instance, I have a 2010 Penryn C2D and I use VMware, office and light LightRoom work on it.

2. simsaladimbamba

I have a 2009 17" MBP and use it for Photoshop, Lightroom, Avid Media Composer, After Effects and the odd entertainment application like Safari or Movist.
    It works quite well, but transcoding and rendering takes its time. And I would really like to upgrade to a 2011 MBP before Lion is the only choice as OS on them.
    I also have a 2007 iMac which I use for the same stuff as my MBP, though the CPU is slower and RAM is low in it.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I actually have 3 :eek:

A 2006 Yonah Core Duo that is currently unused. It has a very dead screen.

A 2008 Penryn C2D. Currently in use as a media centre/TV Mac. I messed it up a bit when I though it had a loose cable internally: can no longer run on batteries and does not sleep when closed (the latter is actually quite useful :p)

A 2010 Arrandale i5. My main home computer. I used it for everything from general surfing through development in XCode to processing RAW images off my EOS 7D in Aperture and Photoshop.

4. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

I use mine for college stuff: parallels, matlab, solidworks, autocad, sketchup, photoshop, office, a few games in bootcamp and of course facebook :D

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm still using mine, though it's had it's already had it's screen replaced. :)

Now mainly used for browsing and light stuff around the home though I still occasionally take it to my band rehearsals for the instruments in Logic.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Mine made a bang and some smoke came out. Since then the screen has never worked (but the rest if fine). I thought it was the inverter but I replaced that and it didn't help. I keep meaning to attach it to the external screen I have in my bedroom for watching videos on.

7. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

One reason I'm asking is that my wife is angling to get my desktop because her Dell C2D desktop is just a POS.

I have a Bloomfield core i7 hackintosh as my main machine but if she gets that box (and runs win7), I'll have my 2010 MPB. I think it will be up to the task, but it got me thinking of how many other folks are using non current laptops at this point.

I know the sampling population here at MR is such that I'm sure the numbers will be skewed towards the Sandy Bridge model, but still it will be interesting to see what others are using :)

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Speaking of which you typed "Sandy Bridged" in the poll. You might want to edit it...

9. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

2010 Penryn, everything from web design, coding, video encoding to playing World of Warcraft and Bad Company 2

10. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Is this the new moderators forum? :D

My GF has the latest 13" MacBook pro that i bought for her. I use it too occasionally. Just basic use, music web, dvd viewing etc. I miss the black and white MacBook days :(

11. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

That's spot on. Many of the members here are upgrade monsters. I have been trying to wean myself of the habit. So far I'm in recovery. :cool:

I'm using a 2010 Arrandale i7 - I use it for personal and for work which mostly consists of Photoshop, Dreamweaver, iWeb, Final Cut, and then lighter stuff like Office. I also do some light gaming (City of Heroes), and it handles it all great. I've got 8GB of RAM, and when I had my SSD everything was nice and speedy. Now I wait a little longer for the convenience of a larger hard drive.

12. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

fixnated ;)

13. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

14. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

It's on there, the middle option.

15. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

just edited, curse you!

i thought it only said 2008 =p

16. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Mine's a 2008 Penryn 2.4Ghz, bought a week or two after the updated models were released and upgraded to the 4GB RAM limit.

In terms of usage, in addition to faffing about on here it's also used for various bits of work I take home with me so it gets an occasional hammering from Photoshop, Illustrator and Quark (often with an external monitor attached), and I play a fair bit of Football Manager on it as well which often gives the fans a workout.

No complaints with it at all to date, it's handled everything I've thrown at it admirably.

17. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Brand new 2011 Sandy Bridge model here.

I primarily use my MBP for Photoshop and occassional web browsing. Additionally, I also use it to sync up my iPhone and iPad. Lastly, if I'm composing a long email, I prefer my laptop over my iOS devices.

18. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I have the 2006 white MacBook with Yonah Core Duo but thats in my closet.
    Now I use 2011 MacBook Pro 17" 2.2GHz i7.

And also I have a PowerBook G4 12" from 2003 that works fine ;)

19. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I was going to put PowerBook on my poll but since its technically not a MacBook Pro and we're in the MBP forum. I opted not too :)

20. islanders macrumors 6502

A 2010 i5 15'' that was delivered about 5 minutes ago from the refurb store. So far it has been charging for 4.5 minutes to top off the battery. It appears brand new and haven't opened the screen yet.

I mostly got this one for the Hi Res screen. I'm also starting to process more video and photos so the extra processing or ports might be useful.

The size is just right for me. Can't wait to check out the screen.:apple:

Speaking of PowerBook my G3 500 2000-2001 Pismo is still very useful. I use wireless N card that works everywhere.

21. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Mine's a mid-2009 Penryn 2.26 Ghz refurb. Got it for Development (Mac and iPhone) and for working at home (Office, etc.).

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Mac I use most is an Early 2008 MBP, 2.5GHz, 4MB RAM, running 10.5.8.

The apps/widgets I'm using daily (in no particular order): Safari, Mail, iCal, Address Book, iTunes, Preview, TextEdit, MS Excel, Skype, TeamViewer, VLC Player, Name Mangler, Quicksilver, Dropbox, Caffeine, Boom, Google Notifier, Carbon Copy Cloner, ClickToFlash plugin, Copy Path Finder Button, Flip4Mac WMV, iStat Pro, Mactracker, SafariStand, Safari AdBlock, SafariBlock, GlimmerBlocker, iStat Menus, Secrets, pearLyrics, Xee

23. NiCk- macrumors regular

I'm still using my 2006 2.16ghz Yonah Macbook Pro :) I never needed to do any "serious" stuff, so it's still going strong after 5 years (!) I mainly use Safari, iTunes, Quicktime, VLC, Pages and Keynote ..

The only "problem" that I had is that the right fan died six months ago but I never bothered to change it .. Should I be worried ?? I only want it to last 8-10 more months until the next revision of Macbook Pros ! :cool:

24. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

hey man thanks for the share, i admittedly creeped on a bunch of these. Xee is awesome. :]

25. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni