Which model of the iPad 2 is the best value?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Justin Luck, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Justin Luck macrumors regular

2. nmills macrumors regular

IMO, 3G isn't worth it. I have wifi almost everywhere I go. I never feel like I need more connectivity. As for size...well that depends. I'm going with 64 as I don't want to have to pick and choose what to keep/remove from my device. I have the 16g iPhone and am constantly having to delete audiobooks because I dint have enough room.

3. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

depends on what you need. :)

i am going to the 32 gig black 3g version.

4. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

Tough decision. If you're going to be watching video unplugged then the 64gb. If you are covered by WiFi get Air Video and the 16gb version. The 32gb seems like the worst deal even though it should be the sweet spot in the middle. It's $100 to add 16gb to the base and $200 to add 48gb to the base model.

5. xelaetaks macrumors member

pretty sure im going to go with the 64g white/wifi version. 3g isn't worth the extra money for me as wifi is everywhere and 64g should be a good amount of memory.

6. iDabble macrumors regular

16 wifi

with home sharing i dont see any reason to get more than 16 gb for my needs

with an ip4, i dont see any reason to get 3g

7. i eversaw macrumors regular

i eversaw

best value is going to be your $500 ipad. :p but no, I'm opting for the 32 gig. it's too big to put all my music on. I think 32 is perfect.

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

As others have said, it depends on what you need. Needs aside, the 16GB WiFi probably gets you the most for your dollar in that it probably has the lowest profit margins.

If you need GPS though or cell service, then that upgrade is probably a good value to you. If you spend lots of time on airplanes on long flights and you want to load it up with movies then more storage is probably a good value to you.

9. p-rice macrumors regular

10. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

Yea for me, the 16 GB wifi is the best value. I bought the 32 gen 1 and it was barely halfway full. The only thing it was good for was higher resale value.

11. jarvijarv macrumors regular

+1. Especially if you're like me and want every iPad version that comes out. I will keep my original iPad 16G Wifi+3G which is almost full, memory wise. Then when the iPad 3 comes out I will get the 16G again but maybe that time it will have 4G....and so on and so on....:p:apple:

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I say easily the base WiFi model. I'm going to get a 32GB iPad WiFi, but I'm not kidding myself that the last $100 isn't as good of a value as the first $500. It's the same deal with my 32GB iPhone. I know that 16GB of flash memory doesn't cost Apple anywhere near $100. Why? Because if it did, the 64GB iPad would cost $800. You can go buy a 32GB flash drive for less than $50. Apple buys flash memory in insane bulk numbers. If the numbers were $499, $549 and $599, I'd feel more like I was getting my money's worth on the top end.

Alas, that's what the prices are. We're willing to pay that much for the extra storage, so Apple keeps it that way.

The 3G iPads don't really seem worth it to me at all. If I knew I could use the GPS without using any data plan, then maybe. With the AT&T announcement about using the iPhone as a wireless hotspot, I have zero need for a 3G connection on just my iPad. I can get a dongle that connects to the dock connector to give me GPS for $99. I'm mainly thinking about the Star Walk app, but maybe something else comes up that I would use GPS for. Either way, I don't need to fork over the $130 for the 3G radio when I've already got that in my iPhone, which is on me at all times. I'd rather spend that money on the extra storage and a smart cover.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You should jailbreak and daisy chain those suckers to have some iPad monster sharing all that storage. Better yet find a way to involve a flash drive in there and create the ultimate iPad beast.

14. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

Flash prices have dropped a lot in in the last year, but Apple is still charging the same amount for each memory bump. The larger configs are subsidizing the new goodies in the iPad 2 (as well as increasing Apple's profit margin on these products). The best *value* is the smallest memory config. Whether that actually meets your needs is another question.

Regarding 3G, I'm sure Apple's profit on that $130 option is huge. However, if you really need 3g, the alternative of buying a MyFi device would be more expensive and wouldn't have comparable battery life. So, in some cases, that option might be a good value.

15. Declanc macrumors newbie

16 + AirStash

16 gb wifi and an AirStash? Then get 32gb flash cards for under $50 one for music ... One for film ... One for work ... Etc
    Anyone used an AirStash?
    Any ideas on getting an AirStash outside of us and Canada.

16. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

As many have noted it depends on your needs.

However one could argue that the best value is the low end iPad simply because 16gb additional memory does not cost $100.

17. twentytwo22 macrumors regular

I was going to go for a 32gb for 600, but then figured an extra 100 doubles the memory to 64, so might as well. After a month or so of ownership, I've got about 35gbs worth of stuff on there, but probably could get by with much less streaming from my home computer.

18. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

I went with a 16GB Verizon iPad 2.

I don't have wifi everywhere I go, so I wanted that connectivity at all times. I could have used my iPhone 4 as a hotspot, but I didn't want to give up my unlimited data.

As for the amount of storage, I mostly stream so 16GB works well for me.

19. sochet macrumors regular

sochet

I honestly don't think I could do without 3g, given that the price difference is not much. That being said the hotspoting from the iphone 4 should be enough!

I bought a white 64gb 3g iPad. I originally wanted a 32gb one, but as it's only £70 difference, why not get a bigger one? It'll hold it's value better for a start :)

20. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

the 3g is just not worth it. too restricted in overall usage.

if you can get a mifi, go with a wifi only - think about how much you really need the on-the-go access and evaluate the monthly cost.

some will say anything over 16GB is too much - but if you are going to be using it away from home, the 32 or 64 might be your answer.

21. poloponies macrumors 68030

Not here to fight, but how is having the additional feature of 3G and GPS "too restricted" compared to not having it? And the idea of a one-size-fits-all answer ignores the fact that different people have different uses. I've traveled outside the US with my 3G iPad in areas where "free WiFi" was not the norm, but a 3G microSIM was available. I could argue that not having 3G in that case would be "too restricted."

As for "monthly cost" if you only pay for when you need it, it's not a monthly cost.

22. XXFirefighter macrumors regular

I'll disagree, The 3G is worth the 100 bucks or so when you need accurate Mapping..

23. iTunes-Luv macrumors member

iTunes-Luv

I will go with wifi only. 3G is not worth it (speed vs cost)

I plan to get the 16 GB since most of the time I will watch movie through Netflix streaming. For movies on iTunes, I prefer to rent.

24. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Entirely depends on your needs and circumstances. Kind of asking 'what kind of vehicle you should buy'.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE internet anywhere, and I'm scanning in all of the old family photos to show my mother on trips to the nursing home. So, 64 gig 3G is the way for me.

Your needs and use scenario may be different.

25. rovex macrumors 65816

I wouldn't consider 3G just because LTE is coming next year. 3G is slow as heck. The black strip on the back looks ugly too.

Rather use the money on a larger capacity model.