Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Started out with the MS Bluetooth mouse, but couldn't stand not being able to use the extra buttons. I'm now using a Logitech MX-700. No biggie, since I hook up a USB cord to my computer anyways to connect my USB hub.

huntsman

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2003
Australia
I just use the Logitech Wheel Mouse Optical that I used with my desktop PC. Cable is a bit long, so I've bowed the middle section with a rubber band, and that bit sits behind the display. The cord isn't any more annoying than would be the combined annoyances of a receiver (for a non-Bluetooth mouse) sticking out of the USB port and having to recharge.

Xero

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by mainstreetmark
I use the PB's trackpad, as well as a Logitech MX900 Bluetooth mouse.

Logitech doesn't support OSX, so the extended buttons on the bluetooth mouse don't work. I would love to attach them to exposé or zoom in/out. On windows, I guess they are the browser back+forward button....

(PS: I also use Logitech's bluetooth keyboard)

Logitech DOES support OSX. go to their website and download the Control Center drivers and you should be fine.

Im using a Logitech mx700 and loving it. batteries last a good 3-4 days before i have to drop it back into the dock overnight. :)

I also have all the Exposé functions mapped to buttons 6-8, which makes using Exposé incredibly convenient!

iPegboy

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2003
Detroit
i'm a loser

So am i the only one who uses an Apple Pro Mouse? it's not too big and doesn't bother me at all. i like it.

i have an iBook, g3

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
On my iBook I used an MS "Wheel Mouse Optical" (cheapest USB mouse I could find). I don't have the iBook anymore, and am now using the Apple Pro Mouse with my Power Mac G4.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I use the MS Bluetooth Intellimouse Explorer, because I can't live without a scroll-wheel. :) Right-click is handy too - by default it maps to ctrl-click. The 4th and 5th button can be mapped to Expose. No software drivers/add-ons necessary for any of it to work.

I read on another thread that the MX 900 buttons only work with Expose - in that case right-click doesn't work, and probably not the scroll wheel either. Anyone able to speak to that directly?

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Sony USB two button scroll wheel mouse.
Kinda pricey, but matches apple H/W.

WilliamGates

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2003
I use Microsoft BT. It used to skip, but after Panther things are smooth. Very happy now. No dongles. But wish there was an on/off switch so I would not have to remove batteries while transporting.

TheT

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Germany
Does the MX900 have an on/off-button?
Will there ever be OSX-drivers? (I don't need all those buttons if I can't use them for forward/back in Safari...)

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Re: MX 900

Originally posted by JulesK
CrackedButter - Do a search in the Forums on on Bluetooth Mouse, and you'll pick up a long thread that discusses the MX900. Seems that it works basically, but that the extra buttons do not work (although they may work in Expose, but since I'm still using 10.2.8, not really sure what that means). Unfortunately, the Logitech mouse driver does not work, I guess because the connection is through BlueTooth and not USB.

Thanks alot i do that.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Originally posted by Xero
Logitech DOES support OSX. go to their website and download the Control Center drivers and you should be fine.

Im using a Logitech mx700 and loving it. batteries last a good 3-4 days before i have to drop it back into the dock overnight. :)

I also have all the Exposé functions mapped to buttons 6-8, which makes using Exposé incredibly convenient!

I meant to say it doesn't support OSX + MX900. The control center doesn't recognize the MX900 as being connected, presumably since it's via BT and not USB. Someone earlier said you can still map exposé to the buttons, however. I never tried.

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
NYC
i use the kensington pocketmouse that came bundled with my tibook...no retractable cord, and its kinda small...but it gets the job done

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
I use a an inexpensive Kensington optical mouse with a scroll wheel. It was around $15-20 and I bought it for my <5 year old daughter. She didn't understand the trackpad. It has worked great for 2+ years and I enjoying using it myself.

I use the Kensington Expert Mouse Pro trackball on my desktop machine. It's great except for playing FPS games.

Flickta

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2002
Born in USSR
I use MouseMan Traveller (Logitech).
One might say it is too small, but I got used to it, and from my point of view, it has the best PB-like design. And Apple-like tambien, cause it's buttons look like one...

beefcake

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2003
Baltimore
I have the Mx700 but I've gotten so lazy I never use it anymore. The trackpad is a few inches closer to my hand, and it works fine for most things. I just wish it had a ctrl+click button because ctrl is too far away to hold comfortably with the same hand you track with. I tried changing the button to ctrl+click and tapping the pad for regular click, but that didn't work out very well.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Actually, although I prefer 2-button mice in general, I like the fact that the trackpad has only one button. Otherwise I find it's far easier to accidently hit the right mouse button and you have to look at what you're doing. It's simpler having just the one, and I don't find it a hassle using the other hand to press the ctrl key.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
(EDIT: Okay, wow, I totally didn't see the "laptop" part of the topic...is it okay for this to still be here?)

Well, with no internal bluetooth module in my eMac here...(honestly, if it was available I wouldn't have gotten it installed anyway--what's the point of paying extra for a feature you'll hardly use?) I can't obviously have a bluetooth mouse...(Not that I'd buy one of those either...come on...cords don't bother me.)

Anywho, for all non-gaming functions I use the stock Apple 1-button mouse. call me nuts, but I just like the design of it, and I hate to leave it just sitting in the drawer.

Now, if I'm doing some serious gaming, I whip out my Logitech Optical Mouse. Two buttons, One scrollwheel, a long cord, and no ball. It's simple, effective, and well, it was cheap.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Originally posted by neoelectronaut
(EDIT: Okay, wow, I totally didn't see the "laptop" part of the topic...is it okay for this to still be here?)

Well, with no internal bluetooth module in my eMac here...(honestly, if it was available I wouldn't have gotten it installed anyway--what's the point of paying extra for a feature you'll hardly use?) I can't obviously have a bluetooth mouse...(Not that I'd buy one of those either...come on...cords don't bother me.)

Anywho, for all non-gaming functions I use the stock Apple 1-button mouse. call me nuts, but I just like the design of it, and I hate to leave it just sitting in the drawer.

Now, if I'm doing some serious gaming, I whip out my Logitech Optical Mouse. Two buttons, One scrollwheel, a long cord, and no ball. It's simple, effective, and well, it was cheap.

Yeh, thats cool, interesting to see how mice used on a desktop can vary from mice used on a laptop.

keep on posting!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.