Which multitouch gestures do you use the most?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kyle1320, Apr 24, 2011.

?

Which multitouch gesture(s) do you find the most useful?

1. 2-finger scroll

92.6%
  2. 2-finger pinch / spread

11.6%
  3. 2-finger rotate

7.4%
  4. 3-finger drag for navigating

40.0%
  5. 3-finger drag for moving windows

7.4%
  6. 4-finger drag up / down for Exposé

41.1%
  7. 4-finger drag left / right to switch apps

8.4%
  1. kyle1320, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

kyle1320 macrumors regular

kyle1320

Title explains it all, how often do you use the multitouch gestures on your MacBook Pro?

I personally find the 2-finger scroll to be the most useful, as I do a lot of web browsing. I also find the 4 finger up / down gestures to be very useful for switching to a specific window, without even having to look at the dock. Gestures such as pinch and spread tend to be annoying while in Safari, but helpful when looking at photos. I do not use the 3 finger gestures much, rather I use back / forth buttons or use the arrow keys as that is what I am used to (this is my first MacBook, and I only got it about a week ago.)

What are your opinions on the multitouch gestures? :)

EDIT: Added a poll, should be interesting to see the results. You may vote for more than one option.

2. RockPortTech macrumors regular

Never used them before I had a Mac to be honest, been a Windows guy all my life. But now??? I cannot imagine doing without :) and it's only been 2 weeks since I bought my MacBook Pro 13 inch. Gestures=Greatest thing since Wonder Bread.

3. dgitalchaos macrumors member

I always use the three finger and two finger gestures, I'd be lost without them! I still use the four finger gestures, but not as much.

My girlfriend loves it!

4. Chromus macrumors regular

I use the scroll, back/forward, and Expose gestures regularly. Whenever I have to use my friends HP laptop I instinctively try to scroll with two fingers or go back/forward with three fingers, unfortunately it doesn't work haha.

5. kyle1320 thread starter macrumors regular

kyle1320

Yes, when I use my old Windows laptop, I try to use 2-finger scroll, and then feel like an idiot when I think something is wrong with it only to find out I'm trying to use multitouch :p

6. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I use multitouch gestures ALOT!
    @OP Have you played much with using three finger touch for dragging windows? Thats what I use and it is great.

Good to know Im not the only one doing that LOL

7. kyle1320 thread starter macrumors regular

kyle1320

No, I'll try using that for a while and see if I like it. It seems like I'd use it more often than using 3 fingers to navigate, as I often like to have more than one window open at once. It makes me feel more productive. :D

8. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Using three fingers to navigate never worked for me. I just didn't like it. Using it for dragging windows took a bit to get used to, after using click and hold to drag for so long, but now that Im used to it, its so much quicker. No click at all, three fingers on the titlebar and slide.

9. Bkraft macrumors newbie

Running OSX Lion preview. 3 finger horizontal swipe lets you glide through spaces, while 2 finger horizontal swipe in Safari glides through web history like pages in a book. The pinch to zoom in safari is incredibly smooth and functions intuitively instead of awkwardly like in SL. Multitouch in general is incredible, agreed

10. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

11. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I use some three finger gestures all the time.
    three finger up/down for CMD+W/N
    or the three finger tab as middle click in browsers
    I use instead of three finger swipes in the browser usually tiptaps to switch back/forward and between tabs (2fingertiptap)
    three finger tiptap right for next song.
    four finger horizontal swipe for spaces (usually I only switch between two or three)

I use all those gestures all the time. Even with a mouse my hand often returns to the touchpad for some gesture instead of the keyboard for a shortcut.

12. matwue macrumors member

Being used to back/forward clicking on my mouse, I find the three finger swipe to go back/forward in the browser, Finder and iTunes invaluable when there is no mouse connected to the MBP. Having to click the arrows would be distracting and time consuming.

13. Ommid macrumors 6502

I use them all the time on my Magic Mouse, Macbook, iPhone and iPad!

14. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Constantly.
    Gestures and trackpad are one of the MBP`s killer features.

15. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

well im usually at a desk with a mouse but when im not

2-finger scrolling and the back and forward gestures i use all the time!

never use pinch to zoom on my mbp or the application switch

16. Beezzy macrumors 6502

I use them all. Ive only had my Macbook Pro for a few days but I'm already used to the gestures. Two finger scrolling the most. I pinch to zoom once in a while.

Sent from my Atrix 4G using Tapatalk

17. articcine macrumors regular

All the time!

2-finger-scrolling
    3-finger-swiping back/forward
    4-fingers swipe/drag
    Sometimes the pinch-zooming as well

18. JTToft macrumors 68040

19. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I too use it all the time. In fact, the trackpad and gestures is one of the most ingenious things about Macbooks. I never imagined I could be in so much control over a laptop without using an actual mouse. Two finger scrolling is responsive and works virtually flawlessly. Three finger "back" and "forward" is also constantly used when I rummage through folders or surf the web. I also frequently use the four finger gesture to reveal my desktop.

I love love love the trackpad and gestures.

20. Ommid macrumors 6502

Proof?

21. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I'd say I use about 50 times per hour as well when I'm using my laptop within an external display.

22. akasch macrumors regular

Two finger scrolling and three finger forward and back when web browsing are essential. The others I rarely use, except maybe four finger to switch applications when I have a lot of windows open and expose shows too many.

23. dgitalchaos macrumors member

24. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I bought a Magic Trackpad, solely for 2 finger scroll. I still use the other features, but the scrolling via scroll wheel on my MX Revolution sucks. It's not smooth at all and it pains me to use it.

25. kyle1320 thread starter macrumors regular

kyle1320

25 out of 26 people use 2-finger scroll, neato. (This was secretly a bump muahahahaha)