Which New I-Mac, 21.5 3.06 or 21.5 3.2?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bdearborn, Dec 10, 2010.

1. bdearborn macrumors newbie

I have an Imac G5 purchased 12/2005. It has finally slowed down to the point where we are ready to upgrade.

I am looking at the new 21.5 Imacs and trying to decide between 3.06GHZ or 3.2 GHZ. They look like they have the same processor Intel i3 processor but is it worth it to pay the extra $300? Any thoughts on refurbished?

I use the computer for Iphoto, I movie, Netflix streaming, RDC to work but no gaming.

Thanks,

B

2. toxic macrumors 68000

no, it is not worth it. the 3.2 is a measly 4.5% faster, which you won't notice, and nothing you do will require the 3.2's more powerful GPU.

I don't have experience with Apple refurbs, but I don't see any reason not to get one since they still carry a 1-year warranty, same as a new one.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Just so we are on the same page, the 3.2Ghz model has a 1TB HDD (opposed to the 500GB HDD), faster processor (by 0.14Ghz) and faster graphics.

You seem to do a few things that might require the faster graphics and CPU (iPhone, and iMovie) but it might not make such a big difference.

Refurbished products are great. They replace all the exterior parts so it looks brand new, and replace any defective parts. In addition, you get a new keyboard and mouse; and to top it all off, it comes with the standard warranty that new Macs have.

I would go for a refurbished and get those savings.

4. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

-backup...perform clean osx install (erase/install)
    -max your ram

5. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Refurbs are a great value, include same as new warranty and eligibility for Apple Care. I bought a refurb iMac and it is impossible to tell it was not brand new.

As for 3.06 vs 3.2, as mentioned above that is not the only difference. 2x larger graphics chip and 2x more storage space. So if you have a lot to store then bigger is better - bigger hard drives are also faster hard drives. The 3.2 model might be just what you need if you plan on getting another five years out of your imac

6. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

Depends on your budget.

Definitely buy a refurb - only difference is the outer packaging [and the price!]

I agree the processor speed isn't a significant difference, but as pointed out earlier you'll be getting twice the storage and graphics RAM.

So if you're in the UK, you're looking at £849 or £1,049 in the refurb section. Do you have other computer related (i.e. software or storage) items you'd like to employ the £200 in immediately? Otherwise I suggest the machine with twice the storage and better bigger graphics card is a better investment for less than a 25% larger price. Especially if you compare the standard base price of £999 versus the refurb £1,049.

You know your budget and make the call.

Certainly refurbs are good, I've had no problems with them.