Which new macbook pro will best retain it's value?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by howya111, Feb 26, 2011.

1. howya111 macrumors newbie

I need a to get a new computer and I was planing on getting the new low-end 13" macbook pro, but the new upgrade isn't what I expected as far as the GPU goes. So I thought that I would get the macbook pro that would retain it's value the most and sell it when the next and hopefully redesigned one comes out next year. I would prefer to spend as little as possible so from the smallest screen size and up which one would be the be the easiest to sell when the next one comes out?

2. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

If you're just looking for a 'stand in' I suggest looking at some GREAT deals on the 2010 13" in the for sale forum. You should be able to find one for ~$800-$850 depending on condition and options. You could use it for a year and sell it for ~$550. That would be your cheapest route.

FWIW, you might want to check out some professional reviews of the 2011 refresh before discounting this release. These reviews should be out early this next week.

JohnG

3. jenlevin macrumors regular

if you do buy a used 2010 model they should not take that big of a hit by next year.. it should still sell for 700 or more. within the last 6 months i sold the base model 2009 13" pro for 850, just as a comparison. as for your original thought - yes, the 13" base model would be good.. its value will hold closest to what you will pay. if you can deal with the 2010 models though, those have already taken their sharpest drop.. like a car after it's been driven off the lot.

4. ZZANG macrumors regular

ZZANG

Sold my 15" 2.66 i7 MBP 2010 model for 1,700... So be careful - with these huge power improvements - value can depreciate quickly than normally observed. Just wanted to give me 2cents.

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Pick the screen size you like and grab a 2010 either from eBay etc or Apple refurbished. Everything depreciates but like someone else mentioned you are at least avoiding the new car hit by buying last year's model.

6. theusualsuspect macrumors member

Just get the 2011 13 macbook pro and sell it before the new ones come out. Buying a c2d now will be tough to sell in a year. It's easiest to sell the current generation mac, so get what you were originally wanting, and if you still want the 2012 models, sell it just before the new ones show up.

7. Karr271 macrumors regular

I sold my 2009 2.26ghz MacBook pro for $800 in January. It also had a dent but I got a great amount for it. I think the 13" sells well considering they may go for $900 used. Also I got many inquiries about my 13" many more than my 15" that I'm trying to sell now. I think most people wil be interested in the 13" considering many "pro's" go for the 15". Trying to sell a c2d MPB next year may be hard or you'll have to sell it for a cheap price. So buying the new mow with an i5 may be a better value

8. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Just get the new 13". The new GPU is on par with the old, and the i5 processor, faster RAM, and Thunderbolt port will make the Core 2 Duo models lose a lot more of their value. If you look historically, new processor types depress prior processor machines significantly. Look back to the Core 2 Duo replacing the Core Duo, and the unibody replacing the older aluminum casing. And once Lion comes out, the difference will be even more pronounced.

Also, if you're doing something that requires higher end graphics, you are looking at the wrong machine--you should be looking at a 15". Having owned a 2.4 and 2.66 GHz last generation ones, and now having a 13" 2.3 GHz, the new one is MUCH faster in day to day use.

9. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Your logic is fair but a little off. You shouldn't be concerned with what's easier to sell, as for a certain price, everything sells.

In a year, OP should be focused on minimizing his losses vs getting the most money. If he buys a i5, he will definitely get "more" come sale time but he'll come out worse after factoring in the amount he paid to buy it and and losses from depreciation.

Unless something happens between now and then that makes a 2010 much more unfavorable than a 2011 (like a recall issue, etc) he'll lose less by buying a used or refurbished 2010.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It's all the same. Instead of worrying about how much you'll get, focus on the total (how much you spend and get back).
    For example, you buy a 15" for $1700 but sell it for $1200
    you buy a 13" for $1200 but sell it for $700

it's the same thing.

11. nygfan80 macrumors regular

Also I wouldn't count on a total re-design. I mean it could happen but they are just rumors. If you have been reading this site and a few others, things were insane with rumors of a re-design for early 2011. I would just say go for it. You never know what is going to happen. They might keep this design for a year or two, no one knows.

12. jenzjen macrumors 68000

If you want to be exact, this still isn't the same thing. #1 is still worse off due to opportunity cost, i.e. he's got an extra $500 tied up here that's available in #2.

13. billgates99 macrumors regular

My coworker sold his on ebay Wednesday for $2200 (it was a CTO, the price he paid was $2600).

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

True, but I was just talking in terms of what you pay vs way you get back.
    What you did mention is important to account for though.

15. nygfan80 macrumors regular

That's pretty good. I hate selling on eBay anymore between their fee's and paypal's fees. I never tried craigslist but if I ever do decided to sell, I might do it there.

16. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

The 13" MBP generally holds it's value the best as they often sell to people trying a mac for the first time.

17. KPOM macrumors G5

The cheapest computers hold their value the best because they have the lowest margin. It doesn't cost Apple $300 more to make the 2.7GHz model, but they charge extra for that one because they can. 1 or 2 years down the road, the resale value of the more expensive model drops more because the relative difference between the two is small (it's a slow, out of date computer vs. a slightly slower, slightly more out of date computer).

If cost is the ultimate concern, then the first question to ask is whether you can make do with what you have until something better comes along. However, if you can't then get the cheapest machine if you intend to get rid of it when something better comes along.

18. smetvid macrumors 6502

The lower end models sell better also because most people buying used are looking for a budget machine to get into the mac world. If they were a highend user they wouldnt really consider a used older mbp and instead buy the latest high end model. Take a look at the speed refreshes as well. Today somebody looking to buy their first mac is going to either look at a new 13" base model for $1200 or a used higher end which may still sell for more but be just as fast. If they dont care about screen size and the gpu they may prefer to buy the 13" because it is brand new with a full warranty. Plus they may need some sort of financing or pay with a credit card. Buying a $2000 mbp with cash can be a bit tricky but it is much easier to buy a used 13" for $800 or so cash.

Finally new mac users are not really sure what to expect yet so they may be a bit nervous about buying a highend system. This is the other reason why they are bying used and trying to buy cheap. If they dont really like it they didnt loose out on too much.