Which new phone looks better?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by corriewf, May 2, 2010.

?

Which phone looks sleeker

1. HTC Incredible

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  2. iPhone Next Gen (4G)

81 vote(s)
    63.8%
  3. HTC EVO

45 vote(s)
    35.4%
  1. corriewf macrumors 6502a

If you were to pretend with three phones that you don't know who makes them. Say that someone handed all three of them to you in a room and made you choose and you couldn't turn the screen on. Which of these phone's design appeals more to you? For the sake of arguement let's say that the phone have the same exact specs ( outside of screen size ) and same wireless network capability.

HTC Incredible:

[​IMG]

Iphone 4G:
    [​IMG]
    You know what the back looks like

HTC EVO:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I don't like the back of either of those htc phones. But I don't mind the front of the third. And of course I love the way the iphone looks.

Edited to add: And in reference to comment about none of the phones looking "girly"- I am indeed female :D We don't all like pink and rainbows and lace :p

3. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

The HTC (both of 'em) is too pimped-out for my taste. I've always been a sucker for Braun's understated styling, so the 4G would be my choice.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Strange hypothetical but I'll play. Evo first, iPhone next, Incredible last.

5. cowsrus macrumors 6502

this new iPhone i think looks amazing
    the others before it were just ehh but something about the simplified look makes it look way better than the competition

especially the concept art for the white version

6. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

If all had the same specs (meaning if the iphone had all the hardware features the EVO has.. lol) I'd choose the iphone based on looks. Too bad that's not the case.. :(

7. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

iPhone all the way.

The Incredible has a very narrow screen. Almost too narrow for my tastes (seen it in person). The EVO's earpiece looks like it's painful to use. I don't like all the candy colored accents they have either.

8. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

To an amateur like myself I find that the EVO and the iPhone 4G look very similar. You have black and silver sides. The silver is a little downplayed on the EVO though. Something interesting that my wife pointed out is that the EVO does more of a curved back retaining a more Iphone look than the new Iphone 4G.

To my wife and me, we think the EVO looks sleeker. I have liked the EVO for it's specs and thought it would be a hard sell for my wife to like it. She is very girly and loves the iPhone and it's current sleekness. She hates the new design of the iPhone and prefers the EVO. I don't think any of these 3 designs are very girl friendly. :p

9. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

The HTC on the bottom is nice, but I still like the way the iPhone looks more.

10. tigress666 macrumors 68040

The Evo. Though none are screaming totally awesome design looks wise to me honestly.

The Incredible is ugly and looks like a frankenstien phone (least that's what the design reminds me of).

The iPhone is just plain *yawn*. But don't ask me why but if they changed those circle buttons to something different (maybe not even the rocker switch but I like hte rocker switch on it better) and made it all black (with maybe a thin line of silver), I would probably like the iPhone better. I know some one photoshopped it to be all black with the rocker switch for the volume button and I really liked it like that. But as in that photo, it's just boring (and I know that saying it being all black is not sounds wierd, but I really do like it better in all black. I think that silver side is too disruptive and I agree with people those circle buttons just don't meld in with the rest of the design). And I'll mention another minus of those circle buttons. Apple supposedly puts ergonomics as very important, but when just feeling on your phone, those circle buttons will be confusing if they are volume up or down. A rocker switch is much easier to just feel for and know by feel which side you want to hit to make volume go up or down. I also question how that phone will feel in your hands having those corners rather than rounded around.

And the Evo is simple enough to be elegant with enough little touches that it's not boring either.

Personally, I like the looks of my 3G better than all of those honestly.

11. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just throwing this out there but:

Current design:
    [​IMG]

I much prefer the 3GS design to ANY of the three in my first post. I think the curves have been what makes the Iphone sexy. I kind of feel like all 3 of these phones would be a step down from the sexiness of the 3GS. It's a shame ( for me ) that Apple didn't go with a new design that utilized more curves. The only thing I like about the new design is the glass back. It's just too blocky. The silver sides look too robust instead of sleek.

edit: Tigress, you and me seem to be on the same page. :)

12. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Lol, were talking about phones, not furniture :p

Just messin with ya. :) Most all HTC phones are going to look "techy" because that's who they are really geared towards. Verizon especially is known for having "bling" phones.

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

My rating:
    • EVO
    • iPhone
    • Incredible

The Incredible is definitely last.

Both the EVO and iPhone look good to me. Toss up which is better.

Agree! :)

14. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

The EVO has a kick stand! It should win hands down just for that!!! :D

15. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

You know, it's a nice feature to have. If your at work or whatever people do these days for money, you can put the phone on your desk all so nicely. :D For me it's all about maximizing my fun output and minimizing my work output for equivalent pay. I'm sure no one will notice me watching youtube at my desk with a 4.3 inch screen.

16. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Um, this thread was about which phone looked better :p. So yeah, I'm just talking actual looks.

And I love gadgets. But I also like stuff I like to look at and I don't like it when the design looks like they put bling/crap/random design features (or I guess how you put it, bling) just to add them. It just makes it look tacky and not as "powerful" to me and more like some kid's toy. I like my gadget to look like a serious computer and adding bling to me does not do that.

I'll admit it, design does come into play in how much I want even a gadget (Long time back I didn't buy an ipaq and instead the HP whatever, back when HP hadn't bought compaq, cause i liked it's more serious look vs. tacky gadget look of the ipaq. I gave in cause the ipaq definitely had the superior tech. But, I have to say I liked their move in the ipaq 4700 which looked way more serious/computer like than gadgety (that got replaced by my macbook. And then I missed having a PDA for stuff like notes and figured maybe I should give in and get a PDA/phone combo since I didn't need a full PDA anymore which is how I got the iphone).

17. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Next iPhone is beautiful! Personally I think the 3GS looks cheap.

18. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I suppose there is an advantage to the new iphone, you probably can balance it on an edge (I have to admit I've tried to prop up my iphone to watch videos/read. Never works out so well unfortunately).

19. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes and my wife says having a gut so I can prop my Iphone up with it, is a poor excuse. :D I guess if I was to get the EVO I would have to lose weight. Damn!

Anyone find it weird that the EVO has more curves than the new iPhone? I never really noticed till I was composing this thread.

20. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I hear ya. There has been some tech that I passed up because it looked like pure crap. Even though it was the BEST at the time. It has to look good at whatever it's doing. :) Granted I can make a few exceptions.

If anyone is reading this and wants to make money (INCASE), make a case for the iphone that has a kickstand built in. DING DING! Please send all royalties to me. Thanks :D

21. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

1. Incredible
    2. iPhone
    3. EVO

I like the funky design on the back of the Incredible. The EVO however is a little dull, even though both have similar designs

22. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

23. cowsrus macrumors 6502

you can rest this new iphone on its side and it stands up
    you can lie this iphone on its back and press anywhere on the screen without the phone rocking

even if you don't like the way it looks i dont see why everyone is in love with the iPhone's curves, it inhibits these two features which don't seem like a big deal until your phone is curveless and you see how much you use them (imagine whatever uses the front facing camera will have, I bet you will want to prop your phone up if it does allow some sort of video calls so you dont have to hold it)

but, i mean, come on
    look how modest, yet high tech the iphone looks
    it isnt flashy like the others, smooth and simple, i can't argue with it

24. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Lol, they shouldn't.

It's interesting to see the following the EVO has ramped up just by specs alone. The last Sprint phone to have this much energy was the Pre. It failed. Miserably.

25. corriewf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very good point about the new Iphone and cam. However you would have to find a table that is level with your face to sit the phone on when using the front cam. I think the EVO will be a little more functional.

Good points though, never thought about it.

@Palm Pre: I don't see HTC being bought out in a few years. Palm was never a very strong company. I think if anything, we will see Sprint sell it's cell phone service before the HTC EVO flops.