Which new replacement Retina MacBook Pro 15" should I keep?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chuck-Norris, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

Iil try and make this a long story short

i had a bunch of repairs on a cmpr and was determined was best to get a brand new replacement.

i asked for a retina and pay extra, 300 more for retina, plus another 300 for the bumped specs, 2.7ghz and 16gb of ram.

i got the first replacement, lg screen, looks nice but it made crackling noises, whether from speakers or fan i dont know.

sounds like exactly like this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx7Nwp9SE74

the issue started 3 hours after owning it, but it stopped a week later and didnt return 4 days later.

i reported the issue and apple sent another. their policy for a replacement computer was to fix it but managed to budge for a new one since i only had it for 3 hours.

got the second one, it was a samsung screen.

i compared the 2 and the lg looked a little nicer, with a more whiter "white" which i kinda prefered. (either way i suppose iil get use to either screen)

the samsung one has a hairline scratch on the back black hinge

which should i keep? the lg is essentially perfect

the crackling stoped, but maybe it might come back in the future?

thanks for your input ! :)

2. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. Memole macrumors member

IMHO, i would return both :D
    but samsung screen can be fixed with calibration :) if u want to have nicer white and so :)

but the cracking sound doesn't sound nice so i would replace it as you never know when it is going to get back but you are covered with 1 year warrany or 3 year apple care warranty perhaps i would return samsung one if the crack is noticeable and keep the LG as if the sound problem get back you can just send it back to apple to fix it :) which is easier than to ask apple to replace a screen because of a crack :)

4. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

the samsung one has a scratch not a crack sorry

the lg one intiailly made cracklign noises

5. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

does that make a difference?

anyone elses input PLEASEEEE

6. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

If were you would keep the Samsung so you reduce the chance of getting IR in the future

7. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah, ive read the second revision lg screens dont have issues though:mad:

8. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. B... macrumors 68000

B...

10. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

icant this was a replacement process not a bought new and have 14 day return period .

they said normal procedure was to fix the first one but cause i only had it for 3 hours they sent another.

im trying to decide which to keep

keep lg and risk that crackling coming back in the future which so far hasnt or the samsung one with the scratch.

11. B... macrumors 68000

B...

How long has it been since you got the first one?

12. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

June the 10th.

But i have been using the samsung moostly since i got it on June the 17

----------

it was a strnage noise (if u saw the video)

i dont know if it was speakers or fan cause those are the only things i can think of. but it has stopped since then

13. B... macrumors 68000

B...

You should have returned both and got a new one by the 24th.You shouldn't keep either imo but now you have to.

14. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

no no no no the 14 day policy thing doesnt apply, cause this was a replacement notebook for a 2010 macbookt hat had a ton of repairs on it.

15. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Oh ok didn't see that. Keep the Samsung.

16. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

i assume ur reasoning would be, take the tiny scratch on the back plastic over that crackling noise possibly coming back in the future on the lg?

17. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

When I had an LG screen rMBP, I had the crackling and it would go away when I turned off Automatic Graphic switching. So yours will probably return.

Stick with the Samsung.

18. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

it sounded exactly like the video i linked? in ur case i mean

19. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

I have an LG screen and have never had an issue with it ever. Just keep whatever one you feel most comfortable with and enjoy the goodness.

20. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for ur input bro

well for me.

samsung model - has a scratch, im a bit OCD about those, and it does bother me a tiny bit. and the samsung screen is nice, but i love the white on the lg, but the samsung screen is less known for IR

LG mode - perfect cosmetically, has the sja2 second revision lg screen which is not suppose to IR or less likely to, but it initially had that cracklig issue i posted a video link of which sounds exactly like it, and even thoguh it stopped, im concerned it may return again.

apple replaced my old 2010 macbook due to to many repairs, so this new replacement doesnt fall under there 14 day thing and i think they would try and "Repair" thenr eplace a third time for which one i complain about so im stuck with one of these 2 and i ahve to return one obviously to not get charged

21. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

I understand being OCD but think of this way - YOU JUST GOT A TOP OF THE LINE MACBOOK to replace an old macbook for like $600 or whatever! I'd HAPPILY buy a rMBP for $600 with a scratch on the body :p

The Samsung screen can be calibrated to the same hue as the LG (cooler) and you'll be fine.

----------

Yep

22. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

just found a slight yellow tint blotch on the botton left corner of the samsung screen......f___** me

23. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Show a picture to see what you mean.

24. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

i can try its very faint will post back soon1

25. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok my camera isnt the greatest, but u can see the left botton corner has a slight faint yellow area then the rest of the screen

Attached Files: